Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ranking the HC candidates

1. Kevin O’Connell
    KOC is a branch off the Shanahan tree, which has been remarkably successful (Kyle, McVay, LaFleur, Taylor--3 of whom are still playing). Also was Cousins’ QB coach in Washington. Runs an offense similar to ours. Would probably represent the most direct route to improvement, at least on offense.

2. DeMeco Ryans
    Make no mistake, this is Saleh’s defense. But Ryan executed it incredibly well. Improved steadily over the course of his first season as DC. That bodes well. Some have said that Ryans was the reason for Saleh’s success. Rankings are so misleading with a hundred other factors at play, but 49ers ranked 3rd in overall defense. Saleh’s Jets ranked 32nd, so….FWIW, many in the 49ers media think he’s a genius.

3. Jim Harbaugh
    Man, I get the excitement. You want to ramp up the buzz about the Vikings, this is the way to do it. While I don’t care as much about his dickish behavior as Minny, he’s going to cost a fortune, and he’s just not the “bright, young” (read: enduring) talent that I’m sort of hoping for (see 1 and 2 above). Highest floor I guess, but at the same time, maybe not. Hate to say it, but this sort of has a Gruden feel to it.

4. Patrick Graham
    While I don’t get JT18’s cronyism thing, and I’m not a big fan of using rankings to choose your coaches, the resume just isn’t quite there.

I think we're going to be watching the Vikings next HC in the Rams/49'er game...

I could get behind either guy.

I had completely forgotten about the KOC/KC past connection. 

It seems like Raheem Morris is a more likely candidate then Graham. I would rank them;

1. Harbaugh- As a pure coach who's turned around every franchise and program he's been at he's clearly the best coaching candidate. It would still be a surprise if this happened but the fact that it's a possibility is exciting. 

2. O'Connell- He's a quarterback coaching extraordinaire. I remember when he was prepping guys for pre draft workouts a handful of years ago. Not a ton of overall experience but I think the team needs to lean towards a more innovative mind on the offensive side of the football given the way the league is going and that's why I give OConnell the nod here. 

3. Ryans- To me he's the most likely of the three mentioned based on his prior working relationship with Kwesi. He was a great player and did a great job in his one season of coordinator experience in SF, but its still only one season. Players coach. 

Ryans, O'Connell and Morris 

I actually lean towards Raheem Morris.

I am guessing that Harbaugh is not a candidate until he says he would take the job if offered.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:

1. Kevin O’Connell
    KOC is a branch off the Shanahan tree, which has been remarkably successful (Kyle, McVay, LaFleur, Taylor--3 of whom are still playing). Also was Cousins’ QB coach in Washington. Runs an offense similar to ours. Would probably represent the most direct route to improvement, at least on offense.

2. DeMeco Ryans
    Make no mistake, this is Saleh’s defense. But Ryan executed it incredibly well. Improved steadily over the course of his first season as DC. That bodes well. Some have said that Ryans was the reason for Saleh’s success. Rankings are so misleading with a hundred other factors at play, but 49ers ranked 3rd in overall defense. Saleh’s Jets ranked 32nd, so….FWIW, many in the 49ers media think he’s a genius.

You could say the same thing about O'Connell as Ryans: make no mistake, this is McVay's offense.  McVay even calls the plays.

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
@MaroonBells said:

1. Kevin O’Connell

2. DeMeco Ryans

You could say the same thing about O'Connell as Ryans: make no mistake, this is McVay's offense.  McVay even calls the plays.
And I think that's a positive, not a negative. If we hire O'Connell, we'll be getting McVay's offense. If we hire Ryans we'll be getting Saleh's defense. Each will have their own twists, but the general direction will likely be the same. 

I think Ryans and O'Connell are both high upside picks, but Ryans has been coaching since 2017 and O'Connell 2015, there is a not a ton of experience there especially when you compare that to Morris who has been coaching for over 20 years.  I would have to favor Morris especially since he has been a HC and has had a chance to learn from that experience.  Also, he has been coaching some big egos and high profile players on the Rams and has been able to get them to all on the same page.  You can't underestimate the job he has done with Ramsey who has been challenging to coach. 

https://twitter.com/VikeFans/status/1488...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fvikefans.com%2Fjim-harbaugh-is-intriguing-and-demeco-ryans-is-shooting-up-the-charts-but-we-a%2F

Quote: @JR44 said:
I think Ryans and O'Connell are both high upside picks, but Ryans has been coaching since 2017 and O'Connell 2015, there is a not a ton of experience there especially when you compare that to Morris who has been coaching for over 20 years.  I would have to favor Morris especially since he has been a HC and has had a chance to learn from that experience.  Also, he has been coaching some big egos and high profile players on the Rams and has been able to get them to all on the same page.  You can't underestimate the job he has done with Ramsey who has been challenging to coach. 
Those are good and bad things....

Morris has experience as a HC
- he failed
+ he learned from his mistakes

Morris coached a talented defense
- How much is him, how much is the talent?
+ Ego management experience