Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MB's Favorite Reporter Lays Out The Obvious

The KC subterfuge is kinda mind-boggling to me. 

IF he's willing to reasonably extend? This is an easy decision to make imo. 

Extend him and find that next qb in either this or the next draft.

Buys you time and you get some damn good production out of the position in the interim. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:

The KC subterfuge is kinda mind-boggling to me. 

IF he's willing to reasonably extend? This is an easy decision to make imo. 

Extend him and find that next qb in either this or the next draft.

Buys you time and you get some damn good production out of the position in the interim. 
3 years for $100-105 million. Let's see how willing he is to play ball.

I thought she was the favorite reporter of that dude from New Jersey. 

Meh....she's not my favorite. She like 3rd, behind Lackey and Jughead. 

Excellent article. First order of business, find a head coach. Second, fix the problems that Spielman and Zimmer left behind.

Problems.

Cap hell, avg. QB who needs good players around him to succeed, depleted defense, and holes in offensive line.

Solutions.

1. Trade Kirk. This will cost them money so the only way it makes sense is if they receive draft capitol for that money. If this is the plan they will need to use a much less expensive QB which means drafting one early, going with Mond, or bringing in a low salaried vet on a short term deal.

2. Extend Kirk. This gives them cap relief but still costs enough that some of their good high priced players will have to be traded and may weaken the team around Cousins instead of strengthen it. Cousins won't likely agree to a short term deal nor an out for the Vikings. This could just be kicking the can down the road.

3.Let Kirk play out his last year. This option will also cause the loss of high price players at other positions but may bring back some draft capital to fill holes and rebuild the defense, as well as start the following season with a clean slate.

4. and 5. Trading some of the older high price vets makes sense at this point. If adequate draft capital can be received in trade it would help with cap relief. One good player on the defensive line, two if Hunter is traded, one good linebacker and one good corner would go a long ways toward improving matters. One or two good players for the interior of the O line would make the line the best they have been in years.

It's a lot to do, and Mensah's greatest challenge will be finding new players through the draft and free agency to do that. Hopefully they can find a way out of cap hell so his hands won't be tied.