Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recap The HC Candidates
While Kwesi Adofo-Mensah surely took a few minutes to relish his new gig, agreeing Wednesday to become the Vikings’ next general manager, there isn’t much downtime for the 40-year-old.
Adofo-Mensah’s first task as GM is his most important one. In the next week and a half or so, he’ll play a big part in selecting the 10th head coach in franchise history, a search that’s expected to kick into high gear Thursday.
The Vikings have already interviewed eight candidates, partly because league rules prohibit teams from initiating contact with a coach after the divisional round of the playoffs until that coach’s team loses or the Super Bowl is over.
While Adofo-Mensah will be the one to sign off on any coaching search, a source said the Vikings have emphasized leadership and collaborative traits from the candidates, valuing that more than extensive experience. The Wilfs, the longtime owners of the franchise, have repeatedly said that they want to mold the Vikings after the Pittsburgh Steelers, so they are now in search of their version of Mike Tomlin. The Steelers hired Tomlin from the Vikings when he had relatively little coaching experience (he was Minnesota’s defensive coordinator for only one year), but the Steelers valued his leadership, and success has followed.
The Vikings’ search committee tried to establish contact and conduct preliminary interviews with candidates that their top general manager options would want, but Adofo-Mensah isn’t necessarily limited to the eight already interviewed.
So given that and the urgency of the search, let’s look at the eight known candidates, plus a few others who could enter the fold. (The candidates are listed in alphabetical order.)
Todd BowlesAge: 58
Current job: Buccaneers defensive coordinator
Breakdown: Bowles helped turn the Bucs into one of the top defenses in the league with a blitz-happy scheme that produced a Super Bowl win a year ago. He’s from a New Jersey town (Elizabeth) near Mark and Zygi Wilf’s hometown of Hillside, which is about 70 miles north of Adofo-Mensah’s hometown of Cherry Hill. Bowles’ previous head-coaching stint with the Jets from 2015 to 2018 produced a 24-40 record, though that run did include a 10-6 campaign in 2015, which was the last time the Jets posted a winning record.

Jonathan GannonAge: 39
Current job: Eagles defensive coordinator
Breakdown: It’s been a swift rise for the young coach who just completed his first year as a coordinator. He has interviewed for several openings in the last two weeks and is already a finalist for the Texans job. Gannon was on Mike Zimmer’s staff for the first four years of Zimmer’s tenure in Minnesota, serving as the team’s assistant defensive backs coach, and remains friendly with several within the organization.
Nathaniel HackettAge: 42
Current job: Packers offensive coordinator
Breakdown: Hackett’s resume is impressive, helping the Packers produce one of the top offenses in the NFL this season while smoothing things over with Aaron Rodgers, who has publicly endorsed Hackett. He also helped bring Blake Bortles and the Jaguars to the AFC Championship Game in 2017, which seems even more impressive in hindsight. A source said Hackett impressed the Vikings during his initial interview with the team, but Hackett has already interviewed twice with the Broncos and has a second interview scheduled with the Jaguars, so he could be off the market if the Vikings don’t decide quickly on finalists.
Editor’s note: As of Thursday morning, Denver is reportedly set to hire Hackett as its head coach. 
Kellen MooreAge: 33
Current job: Cowboys offensive coordinator
Breakdown: While Moore’s stock seems to have fallen a bit with the way the Cowboys’ season ended, he has still put together an impressive run as Dallas’ offensive coordinator, including orchestrating a win with a backup quarterback over the Vikings this season. While Moore has interviewed for multiple head-coaching jobs this offseason, he hasn’t yet received a second interview.
Raheem MorrisAge: 45
Current job: Rams defensive coordinator
Breakdown: Morris is arguably the most intriguing candidate because of his time spent on both sides of the ball. While he spent most of his career on defense, including as Los Angeles’ defensive coordinator this season, Morris also served as the passing game coordinator for the Falcons from 2015 to 2019. That time overlapped with Kyle Shanahan, which offered him a front-row seat to the offensive scheme that’s in vogue across the league. He’s also another New Jersey native, offering potential ties to the Wilfs and Adofo-Mensah.

Kevin O’ConnellAge: 36
Current job: Rams offensive coordinator
Breakdown: While head coach Sean McVay is the primary play caller for the Rams, who host the 49ers in the NFC Championship Game this weekend, O’Connell has been the offensive coordinator for two years, helping to design plays and coming up with game plans. He’s a former quarterback who was drafted in the third round by the Patriots. He and Adofo-Mensah worked for the 49ers in 2016 when Adofo-Mensah was doing research and development and O’Connell was working on special projects.
Dan QuinnAge: 51
Current job: Cowboys defensive coordinator
Breakdown: Quinn has been one of the hottest names in coaching searches across the league this month and is already a finalist for the Bears and Broncos jobs. He put together an often-dominant defense this season in Dallas and was the Falcons’ head coach for five-plus seasons, amassing a 43-42 record including a trip to the Super Bowl. He, too, is a New Jersey native who grew up in Morristown, which is where the Wilfs are currently based.
DeMeco RyansAge: 37
Current job: 49ers defensive coordinator
Breakdown: After Adofo-Mensah agreed to take over the Vikings, attention around the league turned to Ryans. While it’s unclear how close they are, the two men worked together with the 49ers from 2017 to 2020. While Ryans’ climb up the coaching ladder has been swift (he entered the profession in 2017 as a low-level assistant), his on-field pedigree carries weight. Ryans was the SEC defensive player of the year at Alabama, was the No. 33 overall draft pick in 2006 by the Texans and developed into a two-time Pro Bowler. This is his first season as a coordinator, but he has San Francisco’s unit playing well entering the NFC Championship Game.
Other optionsAnother coach with whom Adofo-Mensah has a past is 49ers offensive coordinator Mike McDaniel. But if the 49ers win on Sunday, the Vikings wouldn’t be able to interview him until Feb. 14, which makes it hard to imagine he’d be considered. That’s partly why it’s likely Adofo-Mensah will probably look to choose one of the above eight names.
Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll and Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy are in similar boats, and Daboll is already a finalist for the Giants opening.
Doug Pederson hasn’t been interviewed by the Vikings and doesn’t have a connection with Adofo-Mensah. Same for Brian Flores.
Finally, and this is a discussion for another time, but while it’s unclear whether Adofo-Mensah will have any say in the coaching staff, Ed Donatell would be one name to monitor for a potential defensive coordinator position (especially if the next coach has an offensive background). Donatell was the Broncos’ defensive coordinator the last three seasons and has been an understudy to Vic Fangio. Donatell, 64, and Adofo-Mensah became friendly during their shared time in San Francisco.

Drew
@YouGotMossedx
· Nov 7, 2021
A name I'd keep an eye on if ownership wants to keep Kirk is Kevin O'Connell. O'Connell was Kirk's QB Coach in his last season at Washington

I like that O'Connell is from the Mcvey tree, and they all seem to work out. I want an offensive coach this time after two DC heads the last 12 years. Look at who the head coaches are this weekend for example. A good DC is easier to find and most likely never poached in this new era.

I'm disappointed we're not hearing much regarding Pederson...

What Daboll has done with Josh Allen is impressive too. I think he'd be a great hire for the NYG. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:

What Daboll has done with Josh Allen is impressive too. I think he'd be a great hire for the NYG. 
Imagine Jones under Daboll. If he's ever going to get unleashed...

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:

For Mr. Analytics GM he should be a top choice (Pederson). He was never afraid of thinking outside the box regardless of the situation in game.

Yea I am also very surprised we have not talked with either Pederson or Daboll - both experienced and Offensive minded.  Pederson may have indicated that he wasn't interested otherwise I can't understand why we haven't talked.  Daboll, I don't think has interviewed anywhere, but now that they got bounced maybe he will start making the circuit.

I agree with others, now that we went with a very inexperienced GM I hope his first decision isn't going to be tied back to the 49'ers - Like a 1 yr DC or a 1 yr OC.

I am liking Morris (both sides of the ball and exp), Pederson and I want to at least talk with Daboll.

Quote: @"minny65" said:
Yea I am also very surprised we have not talked with either Pederson or Daboll - both experienced and Offensive minded.  Pederson may have indicated that he wasn't interested otherwise I can't understand why we haven't talked.  Daboll, I don't think has interviewed anywhere, but now that they got bounced maybe he will start making the circuit.

I agree with others, now that we went with a very inexperienced GM I hope his first decision isn't going to be tied back to the 49'ers - Like a 1 yr DC or a 1 yr OC.

I am liking Morris (both sides of the ball and exp), Pederson and I want to at least talk with Daboll.
I was told Pederson didn't want to interview till there was a GM in place so we will see. He also is from Joisey so that helps.