Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Vikings waiting until Wednesday for Poles be problematic?
So why are the Vikings waiting until Wednesday to second interview Poles? Bears reached out and got an interview with him for Tuesday. Ryans interviews today with the Vikings....I wonder if they might pull the HC trigger before the GM one? I hope the braintrust isn't making assumptions about the opportunity with the team and assume candidates will wait on it. Not trying to be an alarmist, but keep in mind money talks and bullshit walks. Even in cases like this. 

yeah, agree.

if Poles signs with Chicago, then the decision is made FOR us....then we get Mensah and get to hear “We got the guy we wanted” bullshit.

If you know, then quit pussyfooting around and lock him up.

If Poles chooses Chicago, do we want him here in the first place? 

Right or wrong, he's stuck with Fields.
McCasky.
No first.
Aged roster.
OL in complete shambles.

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
yeah, agree.

if Poles signs with Chicago, then the decision is made FOR us....then we get Mensah and get to hear “We got the guy we wanted” bullshit.

Yes, the more I looked into/thought about Poles and Mensah the more I really do not want Mensah.  I'll cut and paste my thoughts from another thread but add that just because someone graduated from an Ivy League school does not make them capable of everything and anything.  I once interviewed this kid who was a top wrestler from Harvard for a Sales position - he was terrible.  Over time of hiring people what college they graduated from meant very little.  

Yea, I am no Mensa, but he makes me Kwesi at best [Image: smile.png]

His Bio is full of question marks for me?  It says he is 32 but not sure.  Yet he got a BS degree from Princeton in 2003 (a couple of sources indicate but they may be from the same) so he would have played Basketball and received a BS degree at 13/14 years old.  Some things are not adding up to me in an analytics kinda way [Image: smile.png]   

When I used to hire folks for 6 figure jobs you look for consistency in a CV/resume and in-person.  I'm positive the Vikings got thier answers but on "media" paper this guy is an unknown?  Not sure of age, not sure if he is married, don't know brothers and sisters' names - again all per media not being able to get the information so that means he is not on facebook [Image: smile.png], and never has been like meSmile

Then you see that he has only been associated with the NFL for 9 years starting with SF as a football R&D position????  He has been with the Browns less then 2 years.

"Cleveland Browns General Manager Andrew Berry hired Kwesi Adofo-Mensah from the San Francisco 49ers in May of 2020 to fill the VP of Football Operations position, previously occupied by Eliot Wolf. Berry has been able to put together an extremely well-educated staff, littered with Ivy League graduates.        (So what IMO)Adofo-Mensah is a graduate of Princeton and although his journey to the Browns front office has not been a conventional one, he is already getting notice around the NFL. Mike Garafolo of NFL Network says that Adofo-Mensah is being mentioned around the league and could be a sleeper candidate for an open General Manager position.
Quote:From @gmfb Weekend on #Browns exec Kwesi Adofo-Mensah as a sleeper GM candidate this year. The Princeton grad has spent a lot of time with scouts, both in Cleveland and with the #49ers. He's a well-rounded candidate and could sneak into a few searches. pic.twitter.com/0G6NCMVNfF
— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) ;January 2, 2021
Adofo-Mensah held the director of football research and development position for the 49ers before Berry hired him in Cleveland. Just 10 years prior, he held titles like commodities trader and portfolio manager on Wall Street. His first job in football came when he was hired by the 49ers in 2013. He spoke about his work history when he was hired by Berry,
Quote:I think my background was a positive because I did not have any preconceived notions or biases…When I sat in a room with great evaluators that I have been around in San Francisco, I just took everything they told me. I tried to find the intuition behind it. I ask ‘why’ a lot. You will find that out about me. I wanted to know even the most simple question. You might think it is simple, but I am building the complex bridge that will get me somewhere complex.    (Sounds like a load of corporate crap IMO)
Berry has been praised by many around the NFL for the job he has done in Cleveland so far, which is evident by the attention his staff is already getting."

I really don't like him as a candidate for our GM position.  
I hope that Poles is still in the poll position of the candidates we have interviewed.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
@Vanguard83 said:
yeah, agree.

Yes, the more I looked into/thought about Poles and Mensah the more I really do not want Mensah.  I'll cut and paste my thoughts from another thread but add that just because someone graduated from an Ivy League school does not make them capable of everything and anything.  I once interviewed this kid who was a top wrestler from Harvard for a Sales position - he was terrible.  Over time of hiring people what college they graduated from meant very little.  

Yea, I am no Mensa, but he makes me Kwesi at best [Image: smile.png]

His Bio is full of question marks for me?  It says he is 32 but not sure.  Yet he got a BS degree from Princeton in 2003 (a couple of sources indicate but they may be from the same) so he would have played Basketball and received a BS degree at 13/14 years old.  Some things are not adding up to me in an analytics kinda way [Image: smile.png]   

When I used to hire folks for 6 figure jobs you look for consistency in a CV/resume and in-person.  I'm positive the Vikings got thier answers but on "media" paper this guy is an unknown?  Not sure of age, not sure if he is married, don't know brothers and sisters' names - again all per media not being able to get the information so that means he is not on facebook [Image: smile.png], and never has been like meSmile

Then you see that he has only been associated with the NFL for 9 years starting with SF as a football R&D position????  He has been with the Browns less then 2 years.

"Cleveland Browns General Manager Andrew Berry hired Kwesi Adofo-Mensah from the San Francisco 49ers in May of 2020 to fill the VP of Football Operations position, previously occupied by Eliot Wolf. Berry has been able to put together an extremely well-educated staff, littered with Ivy League graduates.        (So what IMO)Adofo-Mensah is a graduate of Princeton and although his journey to the Browns front office has not been a conventional one, he is already getting notice around the NFL. Mike Garafolo of NFL Network says that Adofo-Mensah is being mentioned around the league and could be a sleeper candidate for an open General Manager position.
Quote:From @gmfb Weekend on #Browns exec Kwesi Adofo-Mensah as a sleeper GM candidate this year. The Princeton grad has spent a lot of time with scouts, both in Cleveland and with the #49ers. He's a well-rounded candidate and could sneak into a few searches. pic.twitter.com/0G6NCMVNfF
— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) ;January 2, 2021
Adofo-Mensah held the director of football research and development position for the 49ers before Berry hired him in Cleveland. Just 10 years prior, he held titles like commodities trader and portfolio manager on Wall Street. His first job in football came when he was hired by the 49ers in 2013. He spoke about his work history when he was hired by Berry,
Quote:I think my background was a positive because I did not have any preconceived notions or biases…When I sat in a room with great evaluators that I have been around in San Francisco, I just took everything they told me. I tried to find the intuition behind it. I ask ‘why’ a lot. You will find that out about me. I wanted to know even the most simple question. You might think it is simple, but I am building the complex bridge that will get me somewhere complex.    (Sounds like a load of corporate crap IMO)
Berry has been praised by many around the NFL for the job he has done in Cleveland so far, which is evident by the attention his staff is already getting."

I really don't like him as a candidate for our GM position.  
I hope that Poles is still in the poll position of the candidates we have interviewed.  
He graduated from Princeton in 2003 and joined the NFL in 2013. So that gives him 10 years business experience and 9 year of NFL experience. He's 40 not 32. Which adds up with most graduating college around age 22. 

He's a very strong candidate and I know many in the NFL who've worked with him and have suggested he'd be a future GM well before he was getting interviews. 

Not saying he should get the job over Poles, who is also a strong candidate. But I wouldn't worry about his background not adding up, its very reputable.  

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:

McCasky.
No first.
Aged roster.
OL in complete shambles.
This is probably the right answer. You need to have some self-confidence that your (the Vikings) situation is better. The only thing that could happen is the Bears could try to strong-arm him by suggesting if he leaves the building their offer is off the table. But what sense does that make if he's their top candidate? 

My guess is the Vikings will have a fairly good idea on Tuesday before he even arrives on Wednesday. Contrary to the media, I feel strongly no final decision has been made. 

It is not like a player who is trying to get a 300 million contract and the team puts an all or nothing offer out there.  For GMs it is a much more methodical approach and their success is dependent on all of the right pieces being there, so someone is not going to be forced into making a decision, especially considering you may only get one shot at it if you were to end up in a bad situation.  I think the timing favors the Vikes going 2nd.  Personally, I am not a fan of either of the finalists and hoping they go in another direction as I think there are better candidates out there.  

I go with the personnel candidate - 100 times out of 100. A wise man once said players make the coach ... (and GM).

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:

McCasky.
No first.
Aged roster.
OL in complete shambles.
I think the Bears job looks better...if you are sold on Fields. The problem with the Vikings job is the uncertainty around Kirk Cousins. I'd much rather hitch my wagon to Fields then try navigating just what to do with Cousins and his contract. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@JustinTime18™ said:

McCasky.
No first.
Aged roster.
OL in complete shambles.
I think the Bears job looks better...if you are sold on Fields. The problem with the Vikings job is the uncertainty around Kirk Cousins. I'd much rather hitch my wagon to Fields then try navigating just what to do with Cousins and his contract. 
Yeah there’s a strong case to be made that the uncertainty around Kirk and his deal is what got the last guy fired. New GM has to tread lightly to not meet the same fate.