Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ryans & McDaniel combo?
I'm highly intrigued by this hypothetical duo. Ryans as HC with McDaniels running the Offense. Not sure how feasible it would be to get McDaniels in as an OC, but if possible that would be a great combo imo.

https://zonecoverage.com/2022/minnesota-...e-vikings/

Like the article says,  McDaniels would likely be a one and done OC and likely that isn't enough time to groom his replacement from within.   If we go with a young HC I would like to see him bring in a seasoned coordinator that has former HC experience and is less likely to get poached and would be an experienced sounding board for the rookie HC.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
Like the article says,  McDaniels would likely be a one and done OC and likely that isn't enough time to groom his replacement from within.   If we go with a young HC I would like to see him bring in a seasoned coordinator that has former HC experience and is less likely to get poached and would be an experienced sounding board for the rookie HC.
Honestly, I'd just like to get the best candidates possible at every opening. Is there a possibility he could go the following year? Sure, but hopefully that means the Offense took a big step from what it is now. And it's not like seasoned coordinators haven't left themselves for HC openings.

I'm just anxious to get all these damn hirings over with so we can try and figure out the direction this franchise is going with. 

Quote: @"PurpleCrush" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Honestly, I'd just like to get the best candidates possible at every opening. Is there a possibility he could go the following year? Sure, but hopefully that means the Offense took a big step from what it is now. And it's not like seasoned coordinators haven't left themselves for HC openings.

I'm just anxious to get all these damn hirings over with so we can try and figure out the direction this franchise is going with. 
I think that was part of Zimmers undoing was the constant turnover at the OC position,  if Mcdaniel comes in and the O sings like it should,  we know he is gone since he is the ever popular young gun,  if we can get a more experienced guy next to a rookie HC they, IMO,  are less likely to be poached since they have already had their shot and failed.  I am sure its not fool proof, but IMO its less likely to get disrupted than going with a current hot candidate.

I don't see how this logistically works.  We're going to get McDaniels to be our OC when he's currently OC for the 49ers?  I get how playcalling could be useful for his career, but isn't that a pure lateral move?  How does he get out of his contract?

Quote: @"medaille" said:
I don't see how this logistically works.  We're going to get McDaniels to be our OC when he's currently OC for the 49ers?  I get how playcalling could be useful for his career, but isn't that a pure lateral move?  How does he get out of his contract?
Agreed. It doesn't make sense. But welcome to a lot of online/podcast content. 

That was my initial thought. I'm not aware of what all the rules are for hiring coaches, but I guess the article is attempting to make it sound like that you can hire another away if given additional responsibilities. At least that's what my guess is, kind of like giving certain FO personnel from other teams final say or something like that when they don't have it.

At this point I have no idea. I just think it would make for an intriguing combo.

look at what not having play calling duties has done to some HC candidates when there names are bantered about,  Bienemy, and a few others are hardly getting looks depsite having successful offenses under their OC banner.  Play calling IMO would be a pretty huge absence when looking at a HC candidate,  thats a marker IMO of whether they can handle the flow of the game.

Quote: @"PurpleCrush" said:
@"medaille" said:
That was my initial thought. I'm not aware of what all the rules are for hiring coaches, but I guess the article is attempting to make it sound like that you can hire another away if given additional responsibilities. At least that's what my guess is, kind of like giving certain FO personnel from other teams final say or something like that when they don't have it.

At this point I have no idea. I just think it would make for an intriguing combo.
Matt Lafleur left McVay and the Rams to link up with Vrabel in TEN and get the chance to call plays. A year later he was GB HC. 

So it’s not common but there is precedent. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"medaille" said:
look at what not having play calling duties has done to some HC candidates when there names are bantered about,  Bienemy, and a few others are hardly getting looks depsite having successful offenses under their OC banner.  Play calling IMO would be a pretty huge absence when looking at a HC candidate,  thats a marker IMO of whether they can handle the flow of the game.
Play calling experience is a must for me. Since 6/8 or 7/8 teams left have head coaches with offense backgrounds I would prefer Kellen Moore over Ryans but SF defense is no joke. 

After looking into Dan Quinn a little more I just cant buy into the guy. I really feel like the Falcons success was all Shannahan and that Seahawks D was good before him