Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well known theme developing
The teams winning today by and large established and/or committed to the run game. Now you cant do that down 17 in late 3rd but its tried and tested winning football. 

Here’s hoping our Org brings in someone committed to the run game and builds our team from the inside out IE line play.

Zimmer took alot of shit about it, but he was right about that part as a concept. The issues he(we)had was not a over commitment to the run game, it was poor situational run playcalls and being too conservative in the red zone. 

Overall, I'd say it was teams that played to their strengths and were fairly balanced.

The biggest theme that I see is having an elite QB, Allen, Brady, most likely Mahomes tonight and Burrows looks like he is becoming one.  

And defenses that don't give up 30 a game.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
This.

Run game controls the clock, keeps your D off the field. Throwing short of the sticks on third down is a problem, but a team has to establish the run, and have a SHUTDOWN DEFENSE

Quote: @"Vanguard83" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
This.

Run game controls the clock, keeps your D off the field. Throwing short of the sticks on third down is a problem, but a team has to establish the run, and have a SHUTDOWN (Run) DEFENSE
i put a little fix in there. i like your take but the days of true shutdown defenses are over. 

Quote: @"Bullazin" said:
@"Vanguard83" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
This.

Run game controls the clock, keeps your D off the field. Throwing short of the sticks on third down is a problem, but a team has to establish the run, and have a SHUTDOWN (Run) DEFENSE
i put a little fix in there. i like your take but the days of true shutdown defenses are over. 
Today, losing teams were held to: Patriots 17, Cowboys, 17, Eagles 15, Steelers 21.

between last season and this season, if we held teams to under 30 points, we probably would have won Im guessing four or five more games each season?

now sure exactly where / when Zimmer lost this defense, but we have sucked ass the last two seasons.

Vikings problem was the defense. 

Big shock looking at the list of QB's left playing...

Those D's are more athletic, faster, meaner, well coached and the rules are against em more than ever before. 

Most of those QB's can move around pretty good too and they are balanced on O. Boy have TE's evolved over time. 

So yah, the game has evolved - but some of the old adages on playoff football still apply. 

Defense defense defense. It’s the same pretty much every playoff season. Heck, we didn’t even have a defensive coordinator this year when you really get down to it. That’s just messed up. 
It was interesting to watch players like Dak and Jimmy G have to deal with a little pressure. Cousins sees worse pressure all the time. It definitely provided a clear lesson on how important it is to have a QB capable of hanging in there. 
Jimmy G will get credit as a “playoff winning QB”. The reality is his defense bailed him out. He nearly gave the game away. Dak will be looked at as a guy unable to win the “big games”. This is how NFL reputations are created. Not in the reality that it’s a team game, only in the flawed narrative.

The Minnesota Vikings with even an average defense, could beat both of those teams yesterday. That’s what is sad to me. We had a bull headed stubborn coach waste a pretty good roster this year. Sucks.