Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Orlando NFL HC meeting tidbits

There's been a lot of talk recently about how the QB that lands in Minnesota will likely be the one who is most successful because he will have very good pieces around him, and how Mac Jones and Justin Fields were set up to fail by going to teams with terrible surrounds. With that in mind, this from Pats HC Mayo....
“I know everyone likes to think they have the special formula to picking players,” Mayo said. “But, honestly, the guaranteed way to win is to accumulate more picks. So if we don’t feel convicted at No. 3 … we are willing to (trade back), as well....I understand the frustration and expectations built over the last 20 years...but we’re trying to build this the right way for the long term.”

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
There's been a lot of talk recently about how the QB that lands in Minnesota will likely be the one who is most successful because he will have very good pieces around him, and how Mac Jones and Justin Fields were set up to fail by going to teams with terrible surrounds. With that in mind, this from Pats HC Mayo...
“I know everyone likes to think they have the special formula to picking players,” Mayo said. “But, honestly, the guaranteed way to win is to accumulate more picks. So if we don’t feel convicted at No. 3 … we are willing to (trade back), as well....I understand the frustration and expectations built over the last 20 years...but we’re trying to build this the right way for the long term.”
He should have a great time following the guy with 6 SB's whom the owner just torpedoed in a self-serving documentary, which apparently pissed off most of the fan base.  Good luck Jerrod!

Quote: @"comet52" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
There's been a lot of talk recently about how the QB that lands in Minnesota will likely be the one who is most successful because he will have very good pieces around him, and how Mac Jones and Justin Fields were set up to fail by going to teams with terrible surrounds. With that in mind, this from Pats HC Mayo...
He should have a great time following the guy with 6 SB's whom the owner just torpedoed in a self-serving documentary, which apparently pissed off most of the fan base.  Good luck Jerrod!
Kraft wants the credit.....the credit that Belichick and Brady created. New England isn't trading that pick. Kraft just basically said unless some 'desperate' team decides to knock our socks off, we ain't moving. And if Arizona doesn't take Marvin Harrison Jr. at #4, they are morons.

#5 is the only spot in play in the top 5. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"comet52" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
Kraft wants the credit.....the credit that Belichick and Brady created. New England isn't trading that pick. Kraft just basically said unless some 'desperate' team decides to knock our socks off, we ain't moving. And if Arizona doesn't take Marvin Harrison Jr. at #4, they are morons.

I am all for letting this thing play out, but I think anything more than the 2 firsts we currently have would likely get me pissy,  no matter who the take.  when you think about future picks, conventional wisdom is to devalue them 1 round,  so anybody trying to leap frog us would have to essentially have another first this year,  or be including the necessary compensation to improve their next years #1 into what would actually be competitive to our second #1 this year.   It may happen,  but if it does,  I hope KAM and KOC are smart enough not to chase fools gold, or so convinced they can get a true franchise QB that they would bet their futures on it,  because they would certainly be betting the teams near future on it.  ( cant count on finding a Purdy in the late rounds)

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"comet52" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

I am all for letting this thing play out, but I think anything more than the 2 firsts we currently have would likely get me pissy,  no matter who the take.  when you think about future picks, conventional wisdom is to devalue them 1 round,  so anybody trying to leap frog us would have to essentially have another first this year,  or be including the necessary compensation to improve their next years #1 into what would actually be competitive to our second #1 this year.   It may happen,  but if it does,  I hope KAM and KOC are smart enough not to chase fools gold, or so convinced they can get a true franchise QB that they would bet their futures on it,  because they would certainly be betting the teams near future on it.  ( cant count on finding a Purdy in the late rounds)
I tend to agree. From what I've read, both of our firsts this year should get us the #5 selection. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"comet52" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

I tend to agree. From what I've read, both of our firsts this year should get us the #5 selection. 
I am not sold enough on the conventional "top 4" that I am even certain that I would use our 2- 1sts to jump up,  the more I ponder this one ( see what I did there? )  I think the smarter play is to let the draft come to them because I think Nix and Penix are no worse than the others,  they may not have the "ceiling"  but how many players ever hit that ceiling that we hear about,  I know a shit ton more that never reach their floor though, and there is always that chance that we see a JJM or Maye tumble due to teams not being as sold as the pundits and fans are... not likely,  but it could happen.

@"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"comet52" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

I am not sold enough on the conventional "top 4" that I am even certain that I would use our 2- 1sts to jump up,  the more I ponder this one ( see what I did there? )  I think the smarter play is to let the draft come to them because I think Nix and Penix are no worse than the others,  they may not have the "ceiling"  but how many players ever hit that ceiling that we hear about,  I know a shit ton more that never reach their floor though, and there is always that chance that we see a JJM or Maye tumble due to teams not being as sold as the pundits and fans are... not likely,  but it could happen.
You should be cancelled for comments like this. The haunting continues...

@"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"comet52" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Jimmy, I am of the same opinion.  Nix and Penix each have at least four years of starting experience.  Nix (with 61 starts) has more starts than any other QB in college football history.  JJM has two years.  By comparison, Mac Jones had one year.  

I know I am not on the payroll, but I happen to agree with Jerod Mayo...acquire more picks.  It is against logic to trade up by combining both first round picks and not get a sure thing with the outcome, especially if you are contemplating sitting a QOTF for at least a year (the smart thing).  By losing one of those first round picks, you have eliminated an immediate contributor and handicapped yourself for the present and future.  Don't trade up.  Get two future/present contributors.

While we are talking about the viability of Penix or Nix, one of the things KOC mentioned recently was how they value accuracy.  A few relevant Bo Nix stats:  45 TDs against 3 INTs.  77.4% completion rate (highest in NCAA history).  Plus he is a reasonable dual threat:  234 yards rushing this year.

Compare that to Penix:  36 TDs against 11 picks.  65.4% completion rate.  8 total yards rushing.  Yes, Penix sure throws a pretty deep ball, but he is simply not as accurate, and is no threat to run.