Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings let another season slip away
Great summary by Luke Braun over at Zone Coverage. 

https://zonecoverage.com/2021/minnesota-...-problems/

I would say he nails everything that is an issue with this team

The late throw to JJ says everything anyone wants to know about Cousins. The defender was beat by 4 yards at the cut.

Excellent breakdown and exactly what I hate about Cousins:

Wrong reads
Right reads, late release 

I'd be curious to know the difference between when Kirk is playing his best and these games where he's struggling.  Like what levers can the coaches pull to fix this without having to swap out players.  I think we're kind of limited in how many players we can swap out on offense next year as we need to focus heavily on defense.

Quote: @medaille said:
I'd be curious to know the difference between when Kirk is playing his best and these games where he's struggling.  Like what levers can the coaches pull to fix this without having to swap out players.  I think we're kind of limited in how many players we can swap out on offense next year as we need to focus heavily on defense.
The issues have plagued him for over 10 years. There is a reason the narratives about him dont go away. He is who he is. You dont pay that kind of money for a “project”. He was very smart to command that kind of money. Spielman was stupid to pay.
If we are going to embark on “fixing” him, then his contract needs to be adjusted to reflect that. We all know that will never happen.

There's no fixing Kirk at this late stage of his career.  He is what he is.  A guy with a limited game and nearly unlimited salary.  Good job Ricky!

Quote: @mblack said:
@medaille said:
The issues have plagued him for over 10 years. There is a reason the narratives about him dont go away. He is who he is. You dont pay that kind of money for a “project”. He was very smart to command that kind of money. Spielman was stupid to pay.
If we are going to embark on “fixing” him, then his contract needs to be adjusted to reflect that. We all know that will never happen.
I don't mean fixing him, but more the coaches better understanding his limitations and putting him in more situations where he succeeds.

Quote: @medaille said:
@mblack said:
@medaille said:
I don't mean fixing him, but more the coaches better understanding his limitations and putting him in more situations where he succeeds.

That isn't with this Coaching Staff or GM. I think most people on this board would agree that Kirk is not the biggest issue with this team in 2021, but his $45 million cap hit for next year and a guaranteed contract will become one of the biggest issues for 2022 as we have too many holes to fill across the roster to tie up that kind of money for a QB that can't carry the team on his back like Rodgers can. I don't see any choice but to orchestrate a trade where we will have to eat a portion of this salary. Outside of Shanahan falling into our laps, our new Coach and GM will want their own guy to build around.