Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change in rules to better the game
1)  If the QB tucks and runs with the ball all protections afforded him as a QB go away.  No sliding, no giving up.  You make the decision to run, you have to earn your yards.  PERIOD.  This sliding crap and diving out on the sidelines is bullshit.   I remember back a few years when Rodgers was running out of bounds on a 3rd and long play and the Viking defender (for some reason I think it was Lieber) went to hit him on the sideline about 5 yds short of the 3rd down and Rodgers pulled up and faked like he was going out of bounds and when the defender pulled up Rodgers cut back upfield and got the first down.  Lieber made an appeal to the ref while Rodgers just laughed.  That is wrong.  Just like Fields on Monday night, that kid is electric please tell me what Kendricks is supposed to to there?  QBs like Allen, Fields, Wilson, Jackson, and Hurts are probably as good or better running the ball than their RB teammates.  Not right.

2)  Get rid of the ridiculous 5 yard rule and go back to the pre 1978 Mel Blount rule.   This has to be the most inconsistent flag of all time.   Holding is one thing but this flag is used ALL the time to give 3rd down conversions to the offense.   For instance, I watched a TE go 8 yards downfield and initiate contact with a stationary Harrison Smith on 3rd down and then cut off the contact HE initiated, the QB got sacked and they called illegal contact on Smith.  I think this would also cut down on the zone defenses as teams would go back to a more man on man based coverage packages would also cut down on concussions and defenseless receiver hits.

3)  Get rid of the stupid out of the tacklebox rule.  That is bullshit too.  My God the Dline does their job and beats the Oline and get NOTHING for it.   

4)  PI is PI.  PERIOD.  Sick of this he turned his head crap and it was both sides or it was handfighting.  Or the refs swallowing their whistle on the Hail Mary plays. In advertant contact.  BS.  If there was ANY contact initiated by either the offensive or defensive player it is PI.  PERIOD.  Unreal how badly this penalty is also wildly inconsistently called.

These changes alone could take a lot of the subjective calls out of the control of the officals and make their jobs easier.  Thoughts?

This would make the NFL as watchable as soccer.  Most QBs out by week 9.

Simpler solution would be to get some refs who didn't suck complete ass.

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:

yes, the refs are the worst Ive ever seen dictating drives and too often games.

I would love a return to tougher QB’s, who arent complete crybaby, pussies.

Hire full-time refs. Require them to get a degree in refereeing and stay current in their craft. Then fire all refs who can't seem to see what 40 million Americans can see on their telly. 

Referees who are not working a game form a panel of SuperRefs with electronic devices that allow the panel to immediately weigh in on a call. Every penalty and close call reviewable in real time. Panel has the answer before TV audience even sees the replay. No more reviews, no more challenges, majority rules. Never get another call wrong and speed up the game. 

You're welcome. 

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
@JustinTime18™ said:

yes, the refs are the worst Ive ever seen dictating drives and too often games.

I would love a return to tougher QB’s, who arent complete crybaby, pussies.

You sound like Alex Boone who's on talk sports radio here...He was just saying how this generation of OL (and players in general) are much more inclined to sit out in a 50/50 situation (injury wise) than any before it. 

2 things in play imho; more awareness & education about injury short/long-term consequences + $ at risk is huge. 

And yes, NFL can afford full time ref's.

So….dont run if youre a Qb?  You should be no different then anyone else running. 

On the throw away idea. Not sure, I dont mind the current rule. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@JustinTime18™ said:

So….dont run if youre a Qb?  You should be no different then anyone else running. 

On the throw away idea. Not sure, I dont mind the current rule. 
Not at all what I said. There's a pretty compelling financial reason why QBs are protected.

I agree, but I would change letting a QB throw the ball away. Any time a QB throws the ball it must be close to a receiver or it should be grounding. When you get paid that kind of money you should be able to throw the ball to a covered receiver. If you can't then go get a real job.

The pussification of the QB position is a large part of what is ruining the game for me.  Once they leave the pocket period they should be free game,  dont want to get hit...go play fucking tennis.

Or like Brady has said,  it shouldn't be on the defense to protect receivers,   that's the QBs job.  If the QB is going they've those receivers out to dry they will learn and won't run those routes or make those plays on the ball. 

Its a gladiator game,  you can't have it both ways.  Either you want flag football or you have to be willing to accept injuries,  often to key players that put themselves in those positions. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:

Its a gladiator game,  you can't have it both ways.  Either you want flag football or you have to be willing to accept injuries,  often to key players that put themselves in those positions. 
It can't be like this: these are human beings that have life after football. We see now that CTE is real. And how crippled up they get because of the punishment. Injuries are one thing, life long physical issues and debilitating mental disorders are something altogether different. You have to try and make things better and sometimes QBs are completely helpless and get annihilated. How is this good for the game? These are the stars of the league. I'm not saying I don't understand the pussy calls that the refs throw flags on as it can be ridiculous and inconsistent. But to say its just a 'gladiator' game and that's how it goes isn't right knowing what we know now medically.