Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Summoning my inner Jim Mora
One of the most surprising scores of the NFL season also meant bad news for the Vikings on Sunday.The Saints' 9-0 win over Tampa Bay on Sunday night moved New Orleans to 7-7, a half-game ahead of all the 6-7 teams (Vikings included) that are in pursuit of the final wild card spot.
The game was in Tampa, and the Bucs entered as 11.5-point favorites as they vied for home field advantage in the NFC. Instead, the New Orleans defense shut them out.
As someone who monitors the Vikings' playoff chances closely — some would say with a little too much zeal — I can tell you exactly how damaging Sunday's games were to their hopes.

Just a week ago, the Vikings had a 33% chance to make the postseason as things stood at the moment and about an 80% chance to make the playoffs if they went 3-1 in their final four games (both per FiveThirtyEight).
Now that same predictive model gives Minnesota just a 21% chance to make the playoffs as of now and just a 48% chance even if they go 3-1 with two wins over the Bears, a win over the Rams next week and a loss to the Packers.
Other predictive models are similarly pessimistic. Football Outsiders has the Vikings with a 24% chance and ESPN's FPI has them at 22% to reach the playoffs.
The No. 6 seed also was pushed further out of reach over the weekend when San Francisco beat Atlanta to move to 8-6.
Still, in a landscape of uncertainty, two things are clear:
*A Vikings loss Monday night would pretty much sink any realistic path. Their playoff odds would plummet to just 6% with a defeat at the hands of the shorthanded Bears.
*If the Vikings manage to win their final four games, they are almost assured of a berth. Their playoff odds are 99% with a 4-0 finish.
But if we thought at one point that a 3-1 finish and 9-8 overall record would be enough to reach the playoffs, now it's basically a coin flip.
https://www.startribune.com/vikings-play...600128840/

Vikings don't deserve the playoffs. Its a 17 game schedule. Minnesota pissed away too many wins thus far. Seriously, the 29-0 start against Pittsburgh and the finish where they barely escaped was pathetic. That's not what good teams do. 

One game at a time. Beat the Bears, lets start there. 

Just win out and they're in... what's so hard about that? B)

I am not rooting for anyone else to help the Vikings get in. If they can't get in on their own so be it.

Quote: @"HappyViking" said:

Mmmmmm.....well you mean other then they're the Vikings??

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"HappyViking" said:

Mmmmmm.....well you mean other then they're the Vikings??
I'm thinking just because I made the above statement it pretty much guarantees we lose tonight.  Yeah, I'm that damaged.

Definition

Minnesota Vikings
Prototypical .500 team
Playoff contender- lower tier
Playoff winner- requires intervention from God.
Superbowl winner- pure fantasy
2021 playoffs- TBD

I guess like most here, I remain interested until they are totally eliminated. Looking forward to tonights game. But I am already looking forward to next season.

Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
possible ......So long as we dont have to play the 2 and whatever Lions