Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
OT: So.....about that earhtquake in the Northeast....
I was in the middle of a presentation in a conference room in Long Island when it happened, lol. The epicenter was New Jersey, so it wasn't horrible but it went on for a good 10 seconds. Very interesting to see different people react to it, lol. Just got to the airport in Islip and its all anyone is talking about. Too funny.

I was in Loma Prieta in 89, 70 miles from epicenter. Felt like the world was ending. Didn’t panic but had my GF hugged in a doorway.  Never a good feeling for sure, had my share of 4+’s in Cali back in the day. 

I live in upstate NY & the noon news was all about the earthquake. Funny thing is I was outside during the quake & I didn't feel a thing.

I live in LA so use to them here and Sticky know that 10 seconds can seem like 10 hours!

Quote: @"JR44" said:
I live in LA so use to them here and Sticky know that 10 seconds can seem like 10 hours!
Yeah, lived in So CA pretty much my whole life. After a while you're just like...meh...

...but you learn to listen for that "Crescendo" of doors and windows rattling, and it get's your heart pumping

I recall the Sylmar / San Fernando quake in 1971....I was just a kid, but it made quite an impression -
Our pool was sloshing water out of it.

Experienced my first earthquake while taking the bar in L.A. (at a hotel near the airport).  Funny how all the proctors left the building and we all continued working on the exam.  My first reaction was being mad at the hotel staff for moving glasses during the exam (the sound of glass tinkling) only to look up at the glass chandeliers when I saw people diving under the tables.

Y'all don't have the insight of a Georgia politician, between the eeeclips and this shakin, we all need to be repentin.
https://x.com/mtgreenee/status/1776282144416972941

I was in a 5.2 when I lived in California, not horrible but I can only imagine how bad a bigger one would have been.

What I didn't mention was my flight into Islip on that Wednesday: worst flight of my life. Severe turbulence and wind shear the whole flight....30 feet from the tarmac the pilot aborts landing and we divert to Pittsburgh.....we sit on the plane in Pittsburgh for over an hour, just long enough for all the food options to close for the night.....we then stay for 4 hours and then fly back to Islip to try and land again......once AGAIN aborts on the trying to land (I'm not kidding)....we circle for 30 minutes in the worst turbulence I've ever felt on a flight and land at 1:00 am. People were crying and screaming, some were completely losing it. I was so motion sick, ugh.

I was on a flight like that once into Denver and the only thing I could do was laugh and joke, so many others were kinda freaked but it was out of our control, and I figured it was kinda like a valley fair ride thrown in with the price of a ticket to Phoenix. I was really hoping that I would get a different plane for my return flight, figured that one had likely experienced severe metal fatigue.