Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimmer: Kicker Guru

Cap savings. We're playing 3D chess and the Raiders are playing checkers.

Yeah, I'm dead inside.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/...3809081350

What a joke this kid was cut.
It was these types of things that had me off zimmers band wagon a while ago. ( and honestly Rick's as well)  there have just been to many cases of poor management either with players or the game itself,  couple that with zimmers stubbornness and it equals either a very long learning curve at the fans expense,  or just a flat out bust as a coach.  He's had his moments,  but imo the writing has been on the wall for quite a while that this ship has major issues.

I like Zimmer, I use to be a big fan of his, but when he cut Carlson it told me that he does not have the temperament to be a head coach.  Carlson was a 5th round pick who had a big leg and only played in two games.  He was 6-6 in extra points and 1-4 FGs, he made a 48 yarder in the first game and in Lamblow he missed a 48, 49 and then the big 35 yarder in OT.  Lamblow is not the easiest place to kick and Cosby also missed a kick at the end of regulation that would have won it.  Zimmer was hot after the game, there were many factors that contributed to the loss, a young kid should not have been held the scape goat in a game that we threw away a lot of opportunities and also gave them 7 on a blocked punt.  

I felt really bad for Carlson that day and have been rooting for him ever since.  Great story that he was able to pick himself up after being embarrassed by Zimmer and the entire organization like that and go on the be one of the best kickers in the league.  It was just a low class move by an organization that was beginning to lose its shine at the time.  

There are way too many reasons why Zimmer needs to go and this is another one. The repeated kicker issues has been absolutely ridiculous. Guess most of the issue was not with the kicker. I am so over it.

If Carlson didn't miss all those kicks against GB, he'd still be a Viking.  Hell, if he missed all those kicks against any other team besides GB, he'd probably still be a Viking.  I know I thought Carlson was a bust after that Packer game too.  He kicked like he didn't want the Vikings to win and I started getting Blair Walsh flashbacks.

Kinda makes me want to look up what fan mood was back then. This board, Twitter, etc.  It's easy now to say Zimmer was too impatient and that cutting Carlson was a mistake, but how many on this board were jumping between him and the axe after he missed all three field goals against Green Bay. Just sayin....

Quote: @StickyBun said:
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/...3809081350

What a joke this kid was cut.
So not a bad 5th round pick??

We were not able to coach him up or give him some slack.  Like I have been saying for years a HC has to be good in all 4 phases of the game - Off, Def, ST, and Coaching (game-time, adjustments, situational, who they hire on staff, clock management, penalties etc..)

I liken being a HC to owning a successful bar/restaurant.  I have a friend who grew up mostly as a high end waiter who was a very good cook.  He bought a restaurant and basically lived in the kitchen cooking while the front end bar, staffing, and the overall administration/bills went to crap = failure.   I had another two friends were good at everything including the administration part but ended up enjoying the high-life (booze and drugs and late nights) too much and poof - failure.  Another acquaintance was the best bartender in our area and everyone knew him but he not the sharpest tool in the shed.  He has tried several ventures with very short life span.

A good HC has to be good at every part of the job and not just excellent in one area.  

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Kinda makes me want to look up what fan mood was back then. This board, Twitter, etc.  It's easy now to say Zimmer was too impatient and that cutting Carlson was a mistake, but how many on this board were jumping between him and the axe after he missed all three field goals against Green Bay. Just sayin....
IIRC, the team's plan was to sign him to the PS. They were a playoff caliber team & couldn't afford to lose any more games with a rookie kicker. Unfortunately, the Raiders (who weren't a playoff caliber team at that time) claimed him off of waivers. 

Kickers and OC's...

We've gone through em like a 300 lb male goes through toilet paper - the day after a spicy mexican dinner.