Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's up with our coordinator situation? Why no veteran leadership?
One thing I'm thinking about is our coordinator situation.  It really seems like we are lacking top end coaching at the coordinator positions and I'm curious how we got to this point.  We let George Edwards go, and then never replace the DC position.  We sort of promote Adam and Andre to co-DC, neither who have much history at DC, while also having them continue to do their old jobs.  We've then proceeded to have the two worst defenses of the Zimmer era.  Then on the other side of the ball we promote Klint to be a first time OC.  We're all ragging on him pretty good.

How did we up in this position?  Is this a Zimmer choice, to go with guys learning on the job, or did he kind of get railroaded into this?  Why not bring in at least one veteran coordinator, so that he would only have to help one side of the ball?  Why not bring in some former coordinators as assistants to help his inexperienced coordinators, like how Kubiak Sr, advised Stefanski?  Why promote two internal candidates to co-DC without backfilling their old positions?  It seems like the dumbest option to "promote" guys, but make them do their old job while learning their new job.  Being a coordinator is tough enough, why hinder them by making them do their old jobs as well.

It seems like we have a situation where both sides of the ball are struggling, and there's not enough veteran coaches to help both sides of the ball.

Yea, no internal candidates for HC.

New HC will be able to bring his own new staff which will be enticing.  The Vikings are a premo job and the Wilf's are excellent owners who will pay for who they want.  

I touched on this topic in another thread....There are 21 people on Zimmer's staff this year. 

You got the kiddie coordinators and then you have highly tenured associates/assistants like Paul Guenther on staff as well - on each side of the ball. 

I wonder if the structure employed was meant to have these veteran associates pair with the kid coordinators?

Could be the Co-Defensive coordinators are in title only. They may help with the game plan but Zimmer calls all of the defensive plays so is there any interaction for them on game days?

Little Kubs was promoted for continuity only.  It's pretty much the offense Zimmer wants to run so what hot shot coordinator wants his hands tied when it come to the game plan which is to try and get a lead then run clock by being conservative.

nepotism

I've never understood the co-defensive coordinator thing. If Michael Scott and Jim Halpert couldn't make it work, what chance did Zimmer have?

It feels like the co-coordinators is somewhat of a figurehead thing. I feel like Patterson is qualified and should have been outright coordinator. Zimmer is too wrapped up in the defense and set in his ways. It's not working. I love listening to Andre Patterson talking about the defense. He is a really smart and mellow dude

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
It feels like the co-coordinators is somewhat of a figurehead thing. I feel like Patterson is qualified and should have been outright coordinator. Zimmer is too wrapped up in the defense and set in his ways. It's not working. I love listening to Andre Patterson talking about the defense. He is a really smart and mellow dude
Same. I know there have been a lot of comments about who is our interim if you fire Zimmer during the season. My pick is Patterson, let's at least see what he has as a true coach.

I feel like Zim doesn't like his authority challenged, so he hires more based on loyalty and yes men.

Norv Turner quit miseason.  John DeFilipio was fired but rumors they didn't get along.  Kubiak quietly quit.  

I have a hard time believing that Cousins, Cook, Thielen and JJ were so unappealing to the coaching world that Klint Kubiak was the best we could find when Zygi has no problem paying staff.

Quote: @SFVikeFan said:
I feel like Zim doesn't like his authority challenged, so he hires more based on loyalty and yes men.

Norv Turner quit miseason.  John DeFilipio was fired but rumors they didn't get along.  Kubiak quietly quit.  

I have a hard time believing that Cousins, Cook, Thielen and JJ were so unappealing to the coaching world that Klint Kubiak was the best we could find when Zygi has no problem paying staff.
Maybe it's the working for Zimmer that is unappealing because of the antiquated offensive philosophy and lack of freedom.