Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Everson speaks up on Instagram

Pulling for the guy. That is one tough illness to deal with, especially if it's not treated. Here's hoping Griff gets that help he needs and is able to live a normal, fulfilling life.

I have an ex who struggles with mental illness. One of the most interesting things I've learned about it is that when she's on her meds, the rest of the world sees her like everyone else, but SHE feels altered, unbalanced, not herself.

When she's NOT on the meds, the rest of the world sees her symptoms of mental illness. But this is when she feels normal, balanced, herself.

Therein lies the problem. 

I'm sure what I've just said has been well known in behavioral health circles since the beginning of time, but it's new to me. Makes me wonder if positive reinforcement during times of treatment isn't extremely important. 

@MB it is definitely a factor that there is an altered sense of self. If a person has lived one way for an extended period of time and then  there are medication induced changes, that requires adjustment and acceptance which is not always easy. I have had clients say that they feel better on medication and then come to the conclusion that they don't need the medication anymore. Of course that can happen with other conditions too. Sometimes people don't like how the medications make them feel. Side effects can be a pain but medication brings challenges too. It is not simply take this and be done with it. There is long term monitoring and sometimes changes to medications are needed.

Sometimes it can be a matter of getting used to who you are and what you feel when on medication. Huge difference in these medications is it not just physical symptoms like for heart disease or cancer but it is mental and emotional. I think more people and more systems are accepting of physical change than changing the core of who you are. Some clients see that as betrayal. Your insight is important to Mental Health and your ex. Understanding the individual perspective is important. Positive reinforcement is important. Treating each person as unique and individual is important.

My wife was bipolar, it can be a very dangerous disease if not treated properly. Wishing Griffen nothing but the best.

VG—thanks for that perspective. The challenge is complex and what works for one can be dangerous for another. My daughter ended up in critical condition, in an ICU and on a ventilator for 3 weeks due to a mood stabilizing medication. I’m so glad EG spoke out. I just ordered his jersey. 

Quote: @"Caactorvike" said:
VG—thanks for that perspective. The challenge is complex and what works for one can be dangerous for another. My daughter ended up in critical condition, in an ICU and on a ventilator for 3 weeks due to a mood stabilizing medication. I’m so glad EG spoke out. I just ordered his jersey. 
There are so many things at play when it comes to Mental health that some people don't consider. You have seen it with your daughter. My son is an anomaly when it comes to a lot of the successful medications. He was on one medication that had a rare side effect of seizures. He had a seizure. Another medication he said made him feel like a zombie. One medication (nasal spray) he had to take anti-nausea medication and after the dose, he would be exhausted. Some he would still vomit. That was another highly effective medication for most. The migraines are sorted out mostly it's the depression that is the hardest part.