Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings "lock" to beat Packers
OK, this is officially making me nervous. I was unusually confident about this game, but so many are picking the Vikings now that I'm having 2nd thoughts...
“On upset alert? Nah, this is an upset lock,” the former Pro-Bowl DB said. “… The Minnesota Vikings are a team that is better than their record.
“Kirk Cousins, Dalvin Cook, Justin Jefferson, Adam Thielen — this is one of the very few teams in the league with two No. 1 wide receivers and an elite level running back… This defense can actually play well too. I think that the Minnesota Vikings beat the Green Bay Packers.”
“It’s not even about Aaron Rodgers’ toe. It’s about the Minnesota Vikings and the type of team that they could be,” he said. “… I look at the Minnesota Vikings as a team that’s a threat to get better as the season closes down, become a playoff team and actually make some noise.
“This could be the week that it starts against a division rival.”
I agree, Ryan, but I prefer to be out on a limb with that. What's more, the Vikings play better when nobody believes in them. 

Vikings are better than their record and the Packers are not as good as theirs, so I wouldn't really consider this an upset.  With this being a home game, I expect us to play them very tough and get the win.  

Quote: @JR44 said:
Vikings are better than their record and the Packers are not as good as theirs, so I wouldn't really consider this an upset.  With this being a home game, I expect us to play them very tough and get the win.  
Agree. Couple concerns though: Vikings aren't as good at home as they used to be, or should be. Also, Rodgers doesn't scare me. That overrated defense doesn't scare me. What scares me is that big back against our run defense. 

Vikings need to get the lead in this one and keep firing. We don't want to see 30 carries for that 6-0, 250 lb behemoth. 

I'll believe it when I see it, sorry.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
Some things have to be believed to be seen. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@HappyViking said:
I'm just getting crusty and jaded towards the Vikes.  I want them to win so bad, but year after year of gut punches every time I start to believe is getting old.  Don't think I'll be watching live today, but I'll be checking the score.  I do really appreciate your optimism though.

Yep. 

@MaroonBells said:
@HappyViking said:
I'm just getting crusty and jaded towards the Vikes.  I want them to win so bad, but year after year of gut punches every time I start to believe is getting old.  Don't think I'll be watching live today, but I'll be checking the score.  I do really appreciate your optimism though.
Hell, I could write a 20-page essay on that alone: the difference between optimism and pessimism and how realism is the midpoint between the two, rather than the opposite of optimism, which is what so many purple people seem to believe. 

Vikings have been stabbing my heart for the last 50 years, so I'm right there with ya. Scar tissue helps. Let's call it corinary fibrosis. But as I age, the hardened tissue becomes a shield. And I've become much more philosophical. At the end of the day, it's just a freaking GAME....that we don't even play.

Watching the Vikings is fun, like a game should be. Losing sucks, for about a day. Winning is great, but really only means we get to extend the fun maybe into February. That's it, that's all it means. More games. And unless we win the Super Bowl, every single season ends in a gut punch for 31 teams. Until we understand that, we're just leading with our bellies. 

OK, one more cliche from Bells' treatise: Life is a journey, not a destination. So be optimistic. It's just more fun. And the guy who said "hope is a dangerous thing" was a goddamned idiot.

...there should be some music now or something. :-)

Seen so many Pack/Viking games over the decades...

With Rogers at QB? The only thing I can say with relative certainty is they either blow us out or it'll be a nail-biter till the last play.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Seen so many Pack/Viking games over the decades...

With Rogers at QB? The only thing I can say with relative certainty is they either blow us out or it'll be a nail-biter till the last play.
I see one more possible outcome: we blow them out. Vikings have played a lot of very good teams this year. And there isn't a single team who's beaten us easily. Could happen. Anything could happen. But I would be very surprised if they blew us out. They're just not that much better than us. If they are at all.