Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you know how I know COVID is coming slowly to a close?
Sports websites are again charging subscriptions for 'premium' services. You can't click on much of the content on SI.com without it being subscription for instance. ESPN has also ratcheted up their subscription content. 

That may be an indicator but it might also be outright greed. 

might be them finally recognizing that their traditional platforms are failing.  In the case of SI... its print media,  in the case of espn,  its their insistance in injecting wokeness into everything the do on the air.  the majority of sports fans dont want to have to have their escape shit on with politics, and the majority of everybody doesnt want to wait for the magazine to come out for a story.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Sports websites are again charging subscriptions for 'premium' services. You can't click on much of the content on SI.com without it being subscription for instance. ESPN has also ratcheted up their subscription content. 
Frustrating when you can't read articles in some of the world's best newspapers like NYT, Washington Post, etc. But it's understandable I guess. Revenue drives everything.

Tell ya what though. It's not the most frustrating thing on the net. How about getting deeply absorbed into a concert video or documentary on Youtube and then, with no warming, no break in the action, or waiting between songs, getting an ad you have to sit through. There's got to be a better way, Youtube. If folks are drywall-punching pissed off at your product, you're doing something wrong. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
might be them finally recognizing that their traditional platforms are failing.  In the case of SI... its print media,  in the case of espn,  its their insistance in injecting wokeness into everything the do on the air.  the majority of sports fans dont want to have to have their escape shit on with politics, and the majority of everybody doesnt want to wait for the magazine to come out for a story.
jimmy its more that you and I aren't their target demographic anymore, we're too old. The under 30 crowd does care about politics and wokeness (to an extent). Watching an ESPN Sportscenter for longer than 3 minutes is nauseating for me today. Its the schtick, hype and how its all about the sports anchors that gets me more than politics and any 'wokeness' I see. The under 30 crowd loves their hype and its all about the stars today. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
jimmy its more that you and I aren't their target demographic anymore, we're too old. The under 30 crowd does care about politics and wokeness (to an extent). Watching an ESPN Sportscenter for longer than 3 minutes is nauseating for me today. Its the schtick, hype and how its all about the sports anchors that gets me more than politics and any 'wokeness' I see. The under 30 crowd loves their hype and its all about the stars today. 
we must know different under 30s.  I hear a lot of 20 sumthins that are growing more and more irate with what is being shoved down their throat.  they are racist,  they dont have white pride,  but the constant barrage from the sports media and icons to the contrary is worn out with them.   my son and his buddies used to watch NBA games all the time,  they dont even mention it any more,  if it wasnt for fantasy football they likely wouldnt follow the NFL either.  They have found other ways to spend their time and money.  I know SD is not a good example of what is going on in America,  but I have to believe that it is a measuring stick of what is going on in rural America and that represents a good size piece of the pie that is walking away from those trying to make a living by catering to the woke crowd,  I know I would definitely feel it if 20% of my customers quit buying from me.

EDIT:  also,  they are tight asses when it comes to casual things like following sports,  they wont be shelling out money for premium content.  hell my kid wont even splurge for real captain morgan,  he found a knock off that is half the price... Admiral something.. I laughed pretty hard when I saw that.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
EDIT:  also,  they are tight asses when it comes to casual things like following sports,  they wont be shelling out money for premium content.  hell my kid wont even splurge for real captain morgan,  he found a knock off that is half the price... Admiral something.. I laughed pretty hard when I saw that.
lol, love it. I partied hard with the Captain in college. 

This is a slippery slope....

How much is "woke" cultural vs political?

Is there a difference?

IMO there is no place for politics in sports. Remember the day when sports united us? 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
This is a slippery slope....

How much is "woke" cultural vs political?

Is there a difference?

IMO there is no place for politics in sports. Remember the day when sports united us? 
Politics has been injected into every facet of our society.  I could not believe health care became political over Covid and it is here to stay forever now.  Politics and sports has been around a very long time.  Politics and music go hand in hand.  Politics and religion also have become mainstream acceptable when no one blinks an eye when religious leaders and organizations are allowed to collect Covid money (tax payor $$$).  I just read last week that the Mormon Church has a 100 Billion investment account, well talk about tax free everything including capital gains.  Again, Corporations and Billionaires control our Politics and will occasionally throw us crumbs to placate.  

Back to sports and the younger demographic.  I have a son and 14 nephews all under 35.  Almost to a man they play fantasy sports and the ones with some money wager.  They are peripheral fans of teams that may watch if can stream it or just watch Red Zone or the like.  My oldest nephew (35/36) is the only one that comes close to fitting into "our over 50 sports perspective" and wokeness.  He served 2 tours in Iraq/Afg and is now a prison guard in a federal prison.  He is probably the only one I have heard bring up Woke and sports etc...  The rest, including my son don't seem to care one bit but like I said they are not really diehard over one sport or one team.

Funny thing is my daughter (25) who went to a very diverse HS and had mostly diverse friends race/religion etc...She is now at Penn State in International studies and foreign languages...she comments on "wokeness as a joke" more then any of them Smile  

Anyway, my main point is that politics has been in sports since the Olympics and probably before with the Gladiators (Ha).  But Politics in HealthCare has been the newest infiltration IMO,  where there is Power, Greed, and money to made Politics will infiltrate sooner rather then later.   

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Frustrating when you can't read articles in some of the world's best newspapers like NYT, Washington Post, etc. But it's understandable I guess. Revenue drives everything.

Tell ya what though. It's not the most frustrating thing on the net. How about getting deeply absorbed into a concert video or documentary on Youtube and then, with no warming, no break in the action, or waiting between songs, getting an ad you have to sit through. There's got to be a better way, Youtube. If folks are drywall-punching pissed off at your product, you're doing something wrong. 

Those are the world's best newspapers, huh?  You mean all the Pulitzers they received for completely misreporting and retracting their "Russiagate" scoops, and their obvious attempts to influence the outcome of the presidential election?  LOL  The worst thing about YouTube and most other social media platforms is that they have sold out to one side of the political arena, and hide all the information not conducive to their political leanings.