Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF GRADES OUR O-LINE...
...24th.  Better than the 27th-29th we've dealt with, but still at the wrong end of the rankings.

Why Klint can't dial up quick screens any better than his predecessors...I just can't understand.  I've wondered this about our OCs for almost a decade.
It's Got to be This Year, KAM, KOC, and Flores...Bring It!

Quote: @"Zanary" said:
...24th.  Better than the 27th-29th we've dealt with, but still at the wrong end of the rankings.

Why Klint can't dial up quick screens any better than his predecessors...I just can't understand.  I've wondered this about our OCs for almost a decade.
Agreed. Do we require our OC's to not watch game film of other teams' offenses? The majority of the successful teams in the NFL run a lot of screens, misdirection, and quick passes. Add this all to the list of Vikings crap I dont understand

Quote: @"Hawkvike25" said:
@"Zanary" said:

Agreed. Do we require our OC's to not watch game film of other teams' offenses? The majority of the successful teams in the NFL run a lot of screens, misdirection, and quick passes. Add this all to the list of Vikings crap I dont understand
I thought the recent issues were too many screens and quick passes.  It has kept Kirk clean, but ever since we had success with that in Darrisaw's first start, that is all it has been.  

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
@"Zanary" said:

I thought the recent issues were too many screens and quick passes.  It has kept Kirk clean, but ever since we had success with that in Darrisaw's first start, that is all it has been.  
We have been running too many predictable plays given formations. Many teams use quick passes behind the line of scrimmage as substitute running plays (Dallas, KC, and Tampa do this a lot). Also, I think we are the only team in the NFL who now runs deep fade routes to their FB. It probably also doesn't help that we love to run on 2nd and long and gain minimal yards, thus creating a difficult situation for the passing game.

Yeahh we sell the screen so well--ole kirk locks eyes on who is getting the ball nearly before the hike.  
Five step drop to allow the lb or just about anyone such  as the beer guy to know nd get there.  All this for a -2 to +3 yd outcome.  

@"greediron" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
@"Zanary" said:

We have been running too many predictable plays given formations. Many teams use quick passes behind the line of scrimmage as substitute running plays (Dallas, KC, and Tampa do this a lot). Also, I think we are the only team in the NFL who now runs deep fade routes to their FB. It probably also doesn't help that we love to run on 2nd and long and gain minimal yards, thus creating a difficult situation for the passing game.
That is not a deep fade route that is called "The Ham Special".   If you want the play to only be a swing pass to the FB then that is called "The Ham Rachel".   No other team can run those plays for obvious reasons, geez give Klint a break already.

@"greediron" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
@"Zanary" said:

again, we ran many quick passes behind the LOS.  Ours just suck.  I see people mock the deep pass to Ham, but didn't he catch that for a big gain?  So we are too predictable, but the one unpredictable thing that works, fans mock it.

I sincerely doubt most fans even know what a predictable play is other than  the D stopped it cold.  Our play calling rhythm is off, nothing gets set up, the run game isn't generating much for yards and the only "successful" plays are quick screens that get a few yards.  Either our offensive coordinator is not up to the task or we have some massive tells that defenses are keying on.

@"Hawkvike25" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
@"Zanary" said:

again, we ran many quick passes behind the LOS.  Ours just suck.  I see people mock the deep pass to Ham, but didn't he catch that for a big gain?  So we are too predictable, but the one unpredictable thing that works, fans mock it.

I sincerely doubt most fans even know what a predictable play is other than  the D stopped it cold.  Our play calling rhythm is off, nothing gets set up, the run game isn't generating much for yards and the only "successful" plays are quick screens that get a few yards.  Either our offensive coordinator is not up to the task or we have some massive tells that defenses are keying on.
Where do you see that, show me Smile

More from the PFF through Week 9 OL Rankings - Vikings 24th (up 2) from week before.

Darrisaw has impressed, showcasing a modest 65.3 rookie grade from Pro Football Focus. He’s only allowed four pressures on quarterback Kirk Cousins through 135 passing attempts. Not bad.
Of course, Brian O’Neill is sturdy, anchoring the right side of the line in traditional O’Neillian fashion. It’s the rest of the line that is questionable. Between Oli Udoh (60.5 PFF score), Garrett Bradbury (56.2 PFF score ), Ezra Cleveland (58.8 PFF score), the group is a huge meh. Thankfully, someone like Dakota Dozier or Dru Samia isn’t dragging down the bunch with PFF grades below 45.0 – like last year – but the middle of the Vikings offensive line can stand to be a lot better.
And PFF agrees with that statement on the Vikings lackluster offensive line production. Sam Monson from PFF released offensive line rankings heading into Week 10 – and the Vikings ranked 24th. Right on the cusp of the bottom quarter of the NFL. Monson wrote:
Christian Darrisaw looks like he will be a major upgrade for the Vikings at left tackle, but they got a look at another potential personnel change this past week when Mason Cole started at center and earned a 74.6 PFF game-grade against BaltimoreGarrett Bradbury has only four games in his NFL career that can match that number, and none of them have come since Week 10 of 2020. Minnesota has a former first-round pick invested in Bradbury, but at some point, that is nothing but a sunk cost. Meanwhile, Brian O’Neill has allowed just eight pressures in eight games as the team’s best lineman.”
Below the Vikings in the rankings? Lions, Raiders, Texans, Steelers, Panthers, Falcons, Giants, and Dolphins. Unsurprisingly, that list is deficient of playoff teams. Offensive line prowess and postseason football go hand in hand. Whoodathunkit.

@"Hawkvike25" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
@"Zanary" said:

Everyone and their mother knows the Vikes are going to run on 2nd and long so yes, we are very predictable. I do agree that we also arent running the quick screens or passes behind the LOS very well and I dont know why that is. Ham did catch it, but in no way do I want that run again, especially when its during times we are trying to target Conklin more than Jefferson.