Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Midseason coaching change?
This is from ESPN:
Quote:Things can't stay the same. The only realistic window for Vikings owners to move on from Mike Zimmer, who has two years remaining on his contract, would come after two back-to-back losses to the Chargers and Packers. A loss to Minnesota's division rival at home in Week 11 to further emphasize its inferiority in the NFC North could be what pushes ownership to make a change. In a last-ditch effort to right the ship and save his job, Zimmer could change offensive playcallers and hand Klint Kubiak's duties to running backs coach Kennedy Polamalu (the only other person on staff who has called plays, albeit at the college level) -- though this move feels less likely than the former given the optics of Zimmer moving on from his sixth offensive coordinator since 2016. -- Courtney Cronin
In my opinion, if there is a coaching change, it might happen after the Chargers game.  The Charger game is the second consecutive road game and the Vikes have traveled to the East Coast last week and now have to travel to the West Coast.  Moreover, this is after an exhausting overtime game.  The Chargers are very good and will pass against a depleted secondary.  I think there is a chance the Chargers blow out the Vikings and that could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

The Vikes will likely win the SD game, just because.

I get why we would fire Kubiak midseason as an effort to save
Zimmers job.  I don’t understand firing
Zimmer midseason.  There are only two
scenarios I would fire Zimmer midseason. 
The first is if things got incredibly toxic and the pressure needed to
be resolved.  The second is if there was
an internal candidate, you wanted to investigate.  I don’t think you fire Zimmer midseason
because the fanbase can’t handle their emotions.

Quote: @medaille said:
an internal candidate, you wanted to investigate.  I don’t think you fire Zimmer midseason
The team has blown multiple second half leads and has multiple mental/coaching mistakes every game. That is what is creating the ever intensifying frustration from the fans. Plus, they do have someone internally they would probably like to explore as the guy is already listed as Assistant HC (Patterson).

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@medaille said:
The team has blown multiple second half leads and has multiple mental/coaching mistakes every game. That is what is creating the ever intensifying frustration from the fans. Plus, they do have someone internally they would probably like to explore as the guy is already listed as Assistant HC (Patterson).
I would like to see him handed the defense without Zimmers insight and see how it would change over the latter part of the season.

I dont think we see a move on Zimmer as long as the team is being  competitive, if the players are still lining up for him,  its hard to make that move.  granted AT has been getting a little testy lately, but he is in the twilight of his career and it has to be super frustrating for him to see a rebuild on the horizon when he knows that he likely wont be a part of anything close to special again in his career if he stays in Minny.

i don’t think they make a mid season change, but I’ve been wrong before. Meanwhile, I feel Like a Kenny Jay or George Scrap-Iron Gadaski fan from back in the AWA days… Wink B)  

Quote: @Kentis said:
i don’t think they make a mid season change, but I’ve been wrong before. Meanwhile, I feel Like a Kenny Jay or George Scrap-Iron Gadaski fan from back in the AWA days… Wink B)  
Wow there's a name I haven't heard in a dog's age.  =)  Where's the Crusher and Doctor X when you need 'em?

With possible covid suspentions possibly looming, this team could go from being competive in games to being down right aweful. 

The vikings never pull the trigger on failed coaches fast enough for most fans (me included). I loved Zimmer until the last couple years. I think the game has past him by, and he is such a horrible game manager. Time to let Patterson finish the year.

Unless you have a guy inhouse already that you think is a good candidate (like Stefanski)  I don't see much benefit in firing a HC midseason.  Which is also why it does not happen that often even when a guy is clearly done/fired at seasons end.  

The other issue is if the Wilf's are thinking a full clean slate from GM down or allowing Spelly to pick his second HC?  That question has to be answered first before you fire the HC.

So I think the Wilf's are going to stick with Spelly, fire/buy out Zimmers contract and keep a very keen eye out for a current OC who shows success in the playoffs (preferably).