Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimmer on going for 2

Just wow...

i thought about going for two but definitely not Cook up the middles

Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
https://twitter.com/CourtneyRCronin/stat...M3rcmrLj9A&s=19
that doesn’t even make sense! Does he have dementia?

Quote: @"Mike Olson" said:
that doesn’t even make sense! Does he have dementia?
I know right. I was like what are you talking about?

cant exactly fault him for the decision to tie the game. 

but hear me out.......

If you make the 2 points, your up by one, but still plenty of time on the clock for the Ravens offense to get into field goal position and win at the end of regulation (If you dont think thats what would have happened, then you havent followed this franchise for long)

If we dont get the 2, its game over.

Heres the problem:  NOW in the NFL you line up for two / or line up for 1.
Theres No deception, no trickery, all mystery has been removed from the “point after” equation. The opposing defense doesnt have to watch for a deceptive / creative play that could get 2 points.

Moving the “extra point” back may have made the “kicking game” more challenging, but in my opinion it killed any creativity and strategy of the game.....and thats a shame.

Just my opinion

So he does actually think

Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
https://twitter.com/CourtneyRCronin/stat...M3rcmrLj9A&s=19
the expalnation makes sense and it was the right call in my opinion.
  1. You kick the extra point (less risky)  then Baltimore needs to score at keast a FG to win
  2. You go for 2 (more risky) and make it then Baltimore needs to score at least a FG to win
  3. You go for 2 (more risky) and miss the game is over.
Given the fact that there was over a minute left, Baltimore had all time outs, a very accurate kicker, a kicker with a huge leg that is very accurate even from 60 yards, going for 2 was not wise as what Baltimore needed to do to win the game was pretty much the same. It was at best a 50/50 chance. In hind sight, we were able to prevent Baltimore from kicking the FG but chances of this team making a 2 point conversion were not good.

Zimmer has made a lot of questionable calls but in my opinion this was not one of them nor was it playing not to lose.
We actually had an opportunity to win the game in OT but the offense again sputtered.

My bigger question is how did we go from  17-3 to 31-31?

Despite all that happened, the bad calls, the lost opportunities, the defense wearing down, Barr made an amazing play and gave us the ball at our own 40 with a first down and only needing a FG to win.  We totally went into conservative play mode, could not pick up a first down and choked the game away.  For me, that is what lost the game and we didn't deserve to win it with the way we wilted on that drive.  

It doesn’t make any sense to me because of what he said about the kicker. Them having a good kicker comes into play whether we tied the game or were up by less than 3. In other words what he is saying is “I chose to tie the game rather than go up more points because they have a good kicker”. 

In either case if it comes down to that good kicker making a kick we lose. I get it that he wanted to at the very least secure the tie -which is what he should have said- but you have shit the bed how many times already this year? Go for the win and generate some positivity. He tried to play it safe (because of course) and he still shat the bed in the end.