Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henry Ruggs DUI charges

Oh Wow.  

Reads as though the victim either died on impact or was stuck in the fire...yikes  

Obviously Ruggs was drinking and I suppose speeding and rear-ended the Rav4 - supposition on my part. 
His life has changed forever but he is alive.

wow.  prayers for that family.  

Not good.

I feel terrible for the victim. Absolutely no excuse for that.

Wow, terrible loss of life.

What a damn shame. 

The accident, which involved a Chevy Corvette that Ruggs III was driving and a Toyota Rav4, occurred at 3:39 a.m. Tuesday morning in Las Vegas. 
Police said Ruggs was driving at a "high rate of the speed" on a three-lane road, driving in the center lane. Ruggs merged into the right-most lane, and hit the back of the other vehicle, and it caught on fire. 
The driver was trapped, and firefighters were unable to rescue her. 
Ruggs did remain on the scene but showed signs of impairment, per the police. Results from the toxicology report have not been released as of 8:00 p.m. ET on Tuesday, Nov. 2. He was treated for non-life-threatening injuries at at local hospital. 
If convicted, the first charge ranges in a two to 20-year sentence while the latter sentence carries a one to six-year range, per Reed

My comment:
So, DUI resulting in bodily harm has a wide range of 2 - 20 years in Vegas.   You are driving a sports car at a high rate of speed, while drunk, passing in the wrong lane and you kill someone...and it possible you can get only 2 years?  I have a problem with that.  I also have a problem with how our justice is enforced and how our punishment varies widely from State-to-State.  So many issues in this world that a 23 year old women and her family will probably never receive justice - prediction on my part - Ruggs will be out in less then 10 years total and that is a travesty for killing someone.  

I definitely agree @minny65 with the sentencing issues. A possible 2 year sentence for taking a life is absolutely sickening. Of course money is a factor, if you can get quality legal representation you can get a lower sentence. It's sad that a life was taken.