Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So who will it be? Udoh or Davis at RG?
Not saying they'd make a change this year, but I'm still not convinced Udoh's best spot isn't RT. I can see Oli being best suited as the #3 OT/Swing guy. What might make more sense is a true competition in camp/preseason next year for the starting RG spot. And do you extend Bradbury? Or is Davis in play for center? Interesting.

I think we have a bigger question mark @ C than either Guard spot. Davis had a much steeper hill to climb than I imagined with his pedigree and college accolades. 

Didnt Davis play some center in college?

I heard something a week ago or so that they were working him at center for a while and that has set back his development at RG so there wasn't a real good feel for him making an impact very soon.  It was more of a knock at Spielman that he had 4- 3rd round picks and none are really contributing as rookies.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I heard something a week ago or so that they were working him at center for a while and that has set back his development at RG so there wasn't a real good feel for him making an impact very soon.  It was more of a knock at Spielman that he had 4- 3rd round picks and none are really contributing as rookies.
That's hilarious, I would love to see how many 3rd rounders are contributing in their 1st year.  I hope these same "draft experts" also praised Spielman for a 5th round WR who is making a big impact, as well as a 6th round G and DT.  

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I think we have a bigger question mark @ C than either Guard spot. Davis had a much steeper hill to climb than I imagined with his pedigree and college accolades. 
Agreed. I personally think he needs to be getting all of his snaps at center right now as I dont want Bradbury back. Stick with Udoh a little more, but also look at drafting a guard in the mid rounds again this year

Quote: @JR44 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
That's hilarious, I would love to see how many 3rd rounders are contributing in their 1st year.  I hope these same "draft experts" also praised Spielman for a 5th round WR who is making a big impact, as well as a 6th round G and DT.  
I dont think by week 5 or 6 its out of the question for third rounders to be making an impact on a team, especially a team with the holes and lack of depth that this one has,  couple that with 4 shots at it... I can see the argument.  As far as finding help at other draft rounds,  that is expected,  just not nearly as often as you would expect to at say Thed 3rd round.

IIRC it was either mark rosen or Courtney Cronin talking on KFan

Quote: @JR44 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Agree. A few are contributing as 3rd and 4th receivers, sub-package DBs, rotational pass rushers, etc., but a brief glance at the 3rd round and I see two starters. One of whom is Davis Mills, who obviously isn't starting because he's good. There might be more, but here's the list for anyone who has time to follow up: http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/rounds/round_3

Osborne, Udoh and Watts are in their 2nd and 3rd seasons, which is when we should expect to see more contribution from Surratt, Davis and Jones.

Not all picks are the same. Some players you draft to contribute right away. Alexander Mattison was a pick like that. Others are high-upside developmental types. Danielle Hunter, for example, who contributed early but wasn't a starter until his 3rd season. Surratt, a former QB with one year at LB, was a pick like that. 

I doubt Udoh gets pulled. His first three games were outstanding. His next three terrible. That's what happens when opponents start to get a feel for what you're doing on film. But his problem isn't getting beat physically. It's penalties and mental errors. But he's a former Academic All American. I expect him to clean that up. 

I think Davis redshirts this year. Because honestly, I think if one of the IOLs go down, it would be Cole we would see and not Davis. 

I think people are focusing too much on Udoh's last game.  I think he was a little too amped up with lots of friends and family in the crowd (he grew up there and went to college in Carolina) and had a too many penalties.

It's also his first year starting at a new position, I think he'll be good from what he's shown to date.  I'd be interested to see Davis at C since Bradbury has been very underwhelming...  I wish he had an anchor.