Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kudos to the OL

I watched a little of Darrisaw and then just started taking him for granted over there. 

Please god, I hope we found our starting T's for a while. 

He's played well and played extremely well considering the limited amount of action he's seen so far this year (practice, preseason, etc.). 

I got a little hung up watching Rashawn Slater play well (he's been a machine) but I think the Vikings will have a pretty good one in Darrisaw. 

Considering the injury and the surgery and being behind, it was nice to see him in there. 

Carolina's DL was not an easy matchup, but the OL stepped up and had a really nice game. Darrisaw looked good. I saw some breakdowns online of a few plays where he could have done better, but they were minor compared to what we are used to at LT. The big thing that impressed me was not seeing the LT get driven back a few yards on every passing play. I know that some of that can be the protections that they are running, but Darrisaw has a good base and can hold his ground. I was frustrated with Udoh again. I know he's not a bad player, but he gets called for holding a lot. I am curious if he can get that under control or if they'll need to switch over to Davis at some point, but at least we have options at RG.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
He's played well and played extremely well considering the limited amount of action he's seen so far this year (practice, preseason, etc.). 

I got a little hung up watching Rashawn Slater play well (he's been a machine) but I think the Vikings will have a pretty good one in Darrisaw. 
Slater went right before our pick.  Did you want us to trade up for him?  I did not want us to trade up for anyone but a falling QB (Fields in this case) and I was screaming for Darrisaw pre and post draft.  We probably only had enough ammo to get in the 10 area - IMO.  Darrisaw is the prototypical LT in terms of size and arm length etc.  Slater has shorter arms and although he looked awesome on tape there was analyst thoughts/comment that he might be a Guard and I didn't want a Guard at 14 I wanted a LT.  Of course, Slater has been awesome protecting Herbert while we had to wait on Darrisaw but I think he might be our LT answer for a long time.

I could not believe Rick passed on Darrisaw at 14 and was able to drop, get two picks, and still get Darrisaw!  I am not using current hindsight or revisionists history but I was amazed at that move by Rick.  To get Darrisaw, Wyatt, and a developmental QB (Mond) for our 14th pick was a coup - IMO.  We obviously had AVT (Jets) pegged as a Guard so we passed no problem.

But we can Thank the current NFL WTF scapegoat - John Gruden/Mayock for drafting Leatherwood at 17 and leaving Darrisaw on the board for us at 23.  Leatherwood has been starting but is the most penalized OL in the NFL at this point - might be overmatched when you are flagged that much - but I haven't watched him enough to really comment with knowledge just by that stat. 

Most fans will go back and look at the player we could have had instead of player X.  For me, I was going to be very happy with our draft if we moved up for Fields into the 10/11 spot  or if we got Darrisaw at 14.  Well, we got Darrisaw plus.  Also, I would not have been pissed if we took Mac Jones at 14.  I would have been pissed if Rick did that move and did not end up with Darrisaw.  I thought there was a huge drop from Darrisaw to the next Tackles.   

This is why I am going to have a hard time moving on from Spelly.  I still think he is easily a Top 10 GM and probably Top 5.  The GM main responsibility is to provide the coaching staff (preferably the staff they hired) the talent to coach-up and develop.  That would be through draft, trade, free agent and also resigning your own.  Again, overall I think Spelly is one of the best.

I have been done with Zimmer for quite awhile now and will want change at the end of this season.  The main question I have is if the Wilf's are going to allow Spelly to pick his second HC or if we are going to start from scratch at the GM level.