Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LaCanfora: Vikings to move on from Zimmer without a playoff showing
https://nfltraderumors.co/vikings-could-...-playoffs/

Duh. Master of the obvious, Jason. My only contention is it won't happen DURING the season. 

Well...there's quite a difference between your post title (Vikings to move on) and LaCanfora's (Vikings could move on). 

Yes, Jason, Vikings could move on from Zimmer. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Well...there's quite a difference between your post title (Vikings to move on) and LaCanfora's (Vikings could move on). 

Yes, Jason, Vikings could move on from Zimmer. 
Question: why would the Wilfs stick with Zimmer if he doesn't reach the playoffs?? He'd be heading into his 8th season as HC, with the last 2 being playoff-less. There's the stink of being beyond your expiration date.

Well heck, with the promise of this roster re-deux? They should move on from Zimmer if he doesnt make a playoff run this year...

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Well heck, with the promise of this roster re-deux? They should move on from Zimmer if he doesnt make a playoff run this year...
Agreed. I'm not anti-Zimmer, but its the playoffs or bust for him. As it should be.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@purplefaithful said:
Agreed. I'm not anti-Zimmer, but its the playoffs or bust for him. As it should be.

Me neither, I like Mike. It would have made me happy if an old school, defensive guy like Zimmer had won a SB here. It would have been fitting for the Vikings franchise. 

But I'm not feeling like it will happen for him. 

The team doesn't feel new, exciting, explosive, cutting edge, resilient...I have no idea what the identity is??

Its still full-back, run on 1st down, make the safe throw vs attacking mentality. I was thinking how old school we are after watching that Rams offense vs Bears last week. 

Franky, I'm kinda bored with it. 

Man, the piling on in the press already....

Charley Walters: Season’s first four games could determine futures for Vikings’ Mike Zimmer, Rick SpielmanThe betting here is that Zimmer could be gone before Columbus Day (Oct. 11).
Should the Minnesota Vikings lose to the favored Cardinals in Arizona on Sunday, and on the ensuing two Sundays to superior Seahawks and Browns in Minneapolis, it would be hard to imagine owners Zygi and Mark Wilf retaining coach Mike Zimmer
The betting here is that Zimmer could be gone before Columbus Day (Oct. 11). Presumably, assistant head coach and co-defensive coordinator Andre Pattersonwould replace him on an interim basis. 
If Zimmer, 65, is dismissed, the Vikings would be expected to bring in a young, dynamic, offensive-minded coach. And then, in the first round of next year’s draft, even if they’re still stuck with Kirk Cousins’ $35 million contract, it would seem the Vikings need to draft a quarterback. Kellen Mond, drafted in the third round last spring, doesn’t appear the answer to succeed Cousins. 
The way it looks now, the Vikings will have a high pick in April’s NFL draft. Quarterbacks expected to be among the top dozen or so picks in the draft are Carson Strong of Nevada, Spencer Rattler of Oklahoma, Sam Howell of North Carolina and Malik Willis of Liberty. 

The Wilfs might not have a choice with Zimmer who, incidentally, is signed through 2023. They couldn’t bring back this operation next year and expect fans to buy expensive tickets. 
The NFL trade deadline is Nov. 2. There are only a half-dozen or so Vikings considered untradable — Justin Jefferson (age 22), Dalvin Cook (26), Danielle Hunter (26), Brian O’Neill (26), Eric Kendricks (29), Adam Thielen (31) and Harrison Smith (32). 
Rebuilding the Vikings would also seem to include dismissal of GM Rick Spielman, perhaps temporarily replacing him with VP of football operations Rob Brzezinski, and unloading player payroll for the rest of the year. 
It would be hard to trust Spielman with hiring the next coach. 
The guess here is that Vikings rooters might be accepting of a rebuild if it included a new coach, a new GM and a QB drafted in the first round next April. 
https://www.twincities.com/2021/09/19/ch...-spielman/

Zimmer is our Marv Lewis.

I just don't get how it would be the best way to go to potentially fire Zimmer before the season ends. Makes no sense. Nobody on the staff should be considered a potential replacement. That guy left (Stefanski). 

Zimmer is not the biggest issue with this team, you can tell how frustrated he is dealing with a bunch of selfish players who won't listen to him.  After the last time we won the division, we came back the next year as a Super Bowl favorite and with a lot of momentum plus the new stadium and the injury really crushed all of that, next year, we picked it up again with Case and a team that played with passion and a group of guys who played well as a team.  Since that season, it feels like a team that is made up of a bunch of individuals who are not on the same page, does not seem like there is any kind of team chemistry or a passion to win, they just come out and go through the motions.  I don't see any leadership coming from the players especially the QB.