Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question to ask ourselves, or not?
The West and USA are looking to implement a 3rd booster shot, at a time when much of the planet is still not even had their first. 

Should we prioritize getting everyone vaxed first for medical reasons as well as moral ones?

Here in the US everyone has had an opportunity, so I won't wait in lines for anyone here.  The world wide distribution is a real cluster, so like they say on the airplane "put your mask on first before you assist others". 

If you want moral questions, have you been keeping up with Haiti these day's.  As individuals you can have more impact there.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
The West and USA are looking to implement a 3rd booster shot, at a time when much of the planet is still not even had their first. 

Should we prioritize getting everyone vaxed first for medical reasons as well as moral ones?
you arent going to get everyone vaccinated,  and even so what good will it do for the health of the world?  until there is a vaccine that actually wipes the virus out and prevents its spread at a much much higher rate,  it really is pointless to pay to vaccinate the world in an effort to control new variants from emerging.  now from a humanitarian stand point, completely different conversation to be had.

think about this though,  we have had a vaccine for nearly a year,  yes it takes special facilities and what not to mfg drugs,  but i have a hard time believing that we couldnt have built emergency manufacturing facilities and had more than enough doses cranked out and delivered by now if there really was any interest in getting to a vaccinated global population.

We won't get everyone vaccinated, it will never happen. 

just going to throw this in here as I dont want to start  another covid thread... but who would have seen this take coming?  I would have thought this was a bee article.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/...oronavirus

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
just going to throw this in here as I dont want to start  another covid thread... but who would have seen this take coming?  I would have thought this was a bee article.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/...oronavirus
OMG Jimmy, I know plenty of libbies who are dumb-asz's....

That's an excellent question, and I won't dwell on your "everyone" technicality.

I've always been proudest to be an American when we use our science and wealth for good around the world. Rebuilding Europe thru the Marshall Plan, virtually eliminating AIDS as an existential threat to sub-Saharan Africa through PEPFAR, etc., but I don't think this has to be a choice. IOW, I don't think we have to prioritize one over the other. We should and can be doing both. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
That's an excellent question, and I won't dwell on your "everyone" technicality.

I've always been proudest to be an American when we use our science and wealth for good around the world. Rebuilding Europe thru the Marshall Plan, virtually eliminating AIDS as an existential threat to sub-Saharan Africa through PEPFAR, etc., but I don't think this has to be a choice. IOW, I don't think we have to prioritize one over the other. We should and can be doing both. 
Yah, "everyone" was a poor choice of words...Put the energy where its wanted as well as needed

Not sure this really isnt a choice though?

Are you just finding a moral comfort zone that doesnt really exist?

Booster doses could absolutely be diverted to 3rd world vs NY, LA, Chicago etc.

The real question is whether the data even supports a third dose.  The WHO is recommending against (at this time)...and some key FDA advisors resigned today over the Admin push for a third vaccine until the science is better known.  Whatever happened to the "we'll follow the science"?

Of course the excess vaccines should be shared throughout the world.  We were fortunate to get in the queue early.  You do have some serious logistic issues getting the vaccines distributed in the third world given the storage and transport requirements.