Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Watts...
It seems like almost every practice throughout training camp, Vikings defensive tackle Armon Watts is doing something to generate praise. 
Whether it’s bulldozing his way into the backfield while filling in for fellow defensive tackle Michael Pierce, or staying late at TCO Performance Center in Eagan to get some additional work in, the 25-year-old Watts looks like a man on a mission. 
“It’s crunch time going into Year 3,” said Watts, a sixth-round pick in the 2019 draft. “I’m just glad to see the work starting to pay off.” 
It’s not a coincidence that Watts is starting to make a name for himself. He had a long heart-to-heart conversation with co-defensive coordinator Andre Patterson after last season. They both agreed that Watts had more to give. 

“He just told me I had to make some sacrifices and invest more into my body,” Watts said. “Just more focus on the grind.” 
The biggest sacrifice Watts made was spending some time apart from his daughter. In the past, he would go back to his hometown of St. Louis at the start the offseason and do most of his training on his own. 
This time around Watts stayed around the Twin Cities and worked with new strength and conditioning coach Josh Hingst to transform his body. The biggest focus was conditioning. 
“He definitely pushed me, and I kept doing it and doing it, and I could see my body start to develop,” Watts said. “I was able to do more of what I wanted to do.” 
It’s been noticeable throughout training camp as Watts has started to carve out a niche as a rotational piece on the defensive line. 

“He’s in the best shape of his life,” Patterson said. “He has always shown he had the potential to compete. But because he wasn’t in great shape, he would get tired, and that would make his pads rise up, and he couldn’t attack the line like he needed to. The best thing he did for himself was get himself in great shape.” 
Asked where he has noticed his conditioning the most, Watts said he’s able to get to the point of attack much faster this season. 
“Just being able to move my body how I want,” Watts said. “In the past, I was always like an inch away from where I wanted to be. Now it’s like I can close that gap and get home to the quarterback and make those plays in the backfield.” 
His teammates have also noticed the growth. 
“He’s looking good out there,” running back Alexander Mattison said. “I’m excited to see all that growth come out onto the field.” 
Though it seems like Pierce and Dalvin Tomlinson have the starting spots on lock heading into this season, if Watts’ performance in training camp is any indication, he should garner a ton of playing time, too.
https://www.twincities.com/2021/08/08/vi...-it-shows/

good to hear that his hard works is paying off,  to bad it comes at the expense of time with his kid though.

Watts can be a cheap version of Richardson.  

We went from having 0 interior DL presence to be overloaded with DL potential.  Shame about the Twyman kid, he looked like a beast and could have used the year on the field.

Pierce, Tomlinson, Richardson
Watts, Lynch either makes it or gets thrown on the PS

I think the Hercules days are coming to an end

Quote: @Skodin said:

We went from having 0 interior DL presence to be overloaded with DL potential.  Shame about the Twyman kid, he looked like a beast and could have used the year on the field.

Our interior D-line is stout. DE is ok, but not a lot of depth...some rookies with high upsides, however. Hunter needs to stay healthy.  I was never a Hercules fan, seriously overrated on this board. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Skodin said:

Our interior D-line is stout. DE is ok, but not a lot of depth...some rookies with high upsides, however. Hunter needs to stay healthy.  I was never a Hercules fan, seriously overrated on this board. 
Audie Cole 2.0

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@Skodin said:

Audie Cole 2.0

Audie at least had back to back pick sixes in a meaningless game.  Hercules?  Well, he has a name...

I think Watts is the backup nose, isn't he? Also, Lynch was a 4th rounder, so probably no PS for him. I think the five you have listed are the five that make the 53. 

They list Herc Mofo at DE, but I don’t think much of his chances at that position either…

Quote: @Kentis said:
@Skodin said:

They list Herc Mofo at DE, but I don’t think much of his chances at that position either…
Wasn't he tried there his rookie year and he didn't have the quick release or upper body power to play the position?

Watts was such a disappointment last year when he could have made a leap and have a hold on the DT position for years but he came in overweight and lacking any real effort.  Hopefully the heart to heart he had with Patterson has made him realize he needs to start showing something or he will be shown the door.