Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT- USA Wrestling
As an Iowa fan, it pains me to say this, but Gable Steveson is already a man amongst boys. What he is doing at the Olympics is so dang impressive right now. Sure wish he wasn't at Minnesota

I do not understand how wrestling does not get more recognition.  I would say it is the most challenging sport and I have the highest respect for any wrestler.  The NCAA championship tournament is one of the best sporting events of the year.  These guys are amazing athletes.  I really don't get MMA, I don't see the sport in it and I have never understood why it is so popular why wrestling stays so remote.  

Quote: @JR44 said:
I do not understand how wrestling does not get more recognition.  I would say it is the most challenging sport and I have the highest respect for any wrestler.  The NCAA championship tournament is one of the best sporting events of the year.  These guys are amazing athletes.  I really don't get MMA, I don't see the sport in it and I have never understood why it is so popular why wrestling stays so remote.  
These guys are true badasses. Tough as nails. Love the sport.

These guys are beasts, it's full contact chess, not just pounding someone into a K.O.  Once at MSP I had to rush to catch a bus to the next terminal, sat down and then noticed everyone had Hawkeye jackets on, then the size of them and then ill fitting headphones from their walkmen.  It was the Iowa Wrestling team, it was impressive, but the cauliflower ear thing was dramatic, they looked like a family with a genetic anomaly.  Really quite and well mannered group of guys though, felt safe not intimidated, Gable was coach back then.

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
These guys are beasts, it's full contact chess, not just pounding someone into a K.O.  Once at MSP I had to rush to catch a bus to the next terminal, sat down and then noticed everyone had Hawkeye jackets on, then the size of them and then ill fitting headphones from their walkmen.  It was the Iowa Wrestling team, it was impressive, but the cauliflower ear thing was dramatic, they looked like a family with a genetic anomaly.  Really quite and well mannered group of guys though, felt safe not intimidated, Gable was coach back then.
That's good to hear, always nice to hear the young men represent the university well. I went to Olympic Trials in 2012 in Iowa City, which meant downtown bars at night. Went to the bathroom at Brothers and as I'm walking in, Tony Nelson (Former Minnesota Heavyweight) was walking out. Yeah, that is a big dude...nice guy too

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@BigAl99 said:
That's good to hear, always nice to hear the young men represent the university well. I went to Olympic Trials in 2012 in Iowa City, which meant downtown bars at night. Went to the bathroom at Brothers and as I'm walking in, Tony Nelson (Former Minnesota Heavyweight) was walking out. Yeah, that is a big dude...nice guy too
Two guys you never want to get into a fight with: a wrestler or a boxer.  :p

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@BigAl99 said:
Lol, as a former wrestler, I can attest to that.  Feel sorry for the basketball player that picked that fight at noon ball.  Taught my kids how to wrestle, now I am a bit afraid as I get older and they grow into men.  I may have to retire early.

But yeah, wrestling is a crazy sport.  Physically exhausting, full body exertion.  

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@BigAl99 said:
Fight a boxer before a wrestler every time if they're both good.

Wow, Gable is a monster. Two takedowns in the final 12 or so seconds to win Gold. That was wild