Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Cleveland Indians new name

their shortstop is a big ass tree and their first baseman a raccoon. 

Missed a golden marketing bonanza.

wow , is that ever lame. oh well fits the current world perfectly.

Most names sound silly to me until they become a part of the day to day language. But I like this one.

"The Guardians name was inspired by two large stone edifices – referred to as traffic guardians — near Cleveland’s Progressive Field. The structures are on the Hope Memorial Bridge over the Cuyahoga River. The new Guardians’ new logos will incorporate some of the architectural features of the bridge.Dolan also felt the name reflected the city’s personality and spirit.
“Cleveland has and always will be the most important part of our identity,” Dolan said in a statement. “Therefore, we wanted a name that strongly represents the pride, resiliency, and loyalty of Clevelanders. ‘Guardians’ reflects those attributes that define us while drawing on the iconic Guardians of Traffic just outside the ballpark on the Hope Memorial Bridge.
“It brings to life the pride Clevelanders take in our city and the way we fight together for all who choose to be part of the Cleveland baseball family. While ‘Indians’ will always be a part of our history, our new name will help unify our fans and city as we are all Cleveland Guardians.”

Cleveland Indians to be Cleveland Guardians after 2021 season (mercurynews.com)

Twins probably probably took a while to get the respect it garners today.  Give it time

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
their shortstop is a big ass tree and their first baseman a raccoon. 
Cleveland Guardians of the Galaxy Batting OrderRocket Raccoon (CF)Rocket Raccoon has a small strike zone and would probably draw a lot of walks. His personality is such that he could quickly get into an opponent’s head — a great skill for a leadoff hitter. Once the ball is in play, his speed would be a tremendous weapon. Defensively, he’d cover a lot of ground in center. Perfect leadoff hitter and center fielder. Move over, Juan Pierre and Brett Butler.
Groot (1B)
An anthropomorphic tree playing first base only makes sense. His stretch to catch balls and pick balls out of the dirt will have no equal. He will also swing a big, loud bat. When asked for comment, he simply replied, “I am Groot.”
Cleveland Guardians of the Galaxy Starting Nine - Last Word On Baseball (lastwordonsports.com)

Guardians is fine, but I would've gone with Cleveland Rockers in honor of the RnR HOF. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Guardians is fine, but I would've gone with Cleveland Rockers in honor of the RnR HOF. 
LOVE THAT !!!