Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pence grows a pair...

Pence also said he will "always be proud" of his role in affirming the election results on January 6 following a riot of Trump supporters at the US Capitol. The former vice president's remarks at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California, focused primarily on laying out a pro-Trump platform for a potential White House run of his own.
But Pence also offered a harsh assessment of the former President's claims, in the days and weeks leading up to January 6, about changing the results of the election during the official counting of electoral votes in Congress.
"The Constitution affords the vice president no authority to reject or return electoral votes submitted to the Congress by the states," said Pence, contradicting Trump's claim at his January 6 rally that his vice president could "do the right thing" and reject the vote count.

Without mentioning Trump by name, Pence said there are "those in our party" who believe that "any one person" could select the president. 
"Truth is, there is almost no idea more un-American than the notion that any one person could choose the American president," he said.
Trump continues to insist the election was stolen, and just this week told an interviewer that he "never admitted defeat" and was "very disappointed that (Pence) didn't send it back to the legislatures." 
By contrast, Pence acknowledged the "disappointment" of defeat in 2020.
"Now, I understand the disappointment many feel about the last election," he said. "I can relate. I was on the ballot. But you know, there's more at stake than our party and our political fortunes in this moment. If we lose faith in the Constitution, we won't just lose elections -- we'll lose our country."
https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/24/politics/...index.html

But he's always said that, hasn't he? In terms of policy, there is no one on the planet farther away from what I believe than Mike Pence. But he was the only sane man on the GOP ticket. 

This is what it should look like. We might disagree about every damn public policy up for debate, but when it comes to telling the truth, preserving American Democracy, you do the right thing. 

That somehow, in same way, some people don't understand this is mind boggling. Its un-American fundamentally, yet all of those 'Patriots' out there excuse the behavior. Hypocrites. 

Agree @MB...

There is MUCH about Pence that is polar opposite of my own personal, value equation as well. 

The fact he's still saying it, saying it with conviction and saying it fully knowing he's going to get boo'd and heckled at times (often) is worth noting.  

Are they matching though? Still seems a little like one might be smaller and not as dominant. I guess it comes from sitting on a fence for 4 years. 

Got to believe this is his attempt at lining up those wealthy camel like republicans in single file to get through that eye of the needle, while not looking at their toes. Could be their last best chance at salvaging anything.

'It's just a joke': Former AG William Barr derided Trump's false election claims
WASHINGTON — Former Attorney General William Barr candidly denounced former President Donald Trump's efforts to overturn the 2020 election, according to a report in The Atlantic detailing how the man who was once one of Trump's most loyal lieutenants split with the former president.
In a series of interviews with ABC News' Jonathan Karl, detailed in a forthcoming book on the last days of the Trump administration, Barr described the final weeks of the Trump administration and Trump's frenzied attempts to retain power.
“My attitude was: It was put-up or shut-up time,” Barr said. “If there was evidence of fraud, I had no motive to suppress it. But my suspicion all the way along was that there was nothing there."
The expletive-laden conversations between Trump and Barr describe a president furious at his election loss and genuinely in disbelief that his most loyal subordinates would not support him in attempting spread false conspiracy theories and subvert the election.
After the 2020 election, the Justice Department launched investigations into widespread voter fraud across the country in key battleground states.
The latest revelations show that Barr was skeptical of Trump's claims even as he greenlit the operations. Barr also told Karl that he'd expected Trump to lose the 2020 election and that he was not surprised by the outcome. In the aftermath, he launched his own informal inquiries into the most popular claims made by Trump's close allies, alongside the DOJ's official investigations.
McConnell was concerned about GeorgiaThe latest revelations also highlight the concerns among GOP leaders that Trump's false conspiracy theories would hurt the party electorally in the Georgia runoffs to be held on Jan. 5. 
“Look, we need the president in Georgia,” then-Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., told Barr during a phone call, according to Karl.
McConnell stressed that Republicans “cannot be frontally attacking" Trump after the election, as he was still highly popular with the party's base. "But you’re in a better position to inject some reality into this situation. You are really the only one who can do it," McConnell told the then-attorney general, The Atlantic story reports.
“I understand that,” Barr said. “And I’m going to do it at the appropriate time."
Barr's betrayal on election fraud claims On Dec. 1, during a lunch interview with an Associated Press reporter, Barr confirmed: “To date, we have not seen fraud on a scale that could have effected a different outcome in the election,” according to Karl's interview.
During one December meeting, a furious Trump unloaded on Barr over the AP's story with Barr's comments actively contradicting Trump's narrative around election fraud.
Asked by Trump why he would tell the AP that there was no fraud in the election, Barr replied "because it’s true.” The conversation continued with Trump referring to himself in the third person, telling Barr: “You must hate Trump. You must hate Trump.”
Barr pushed back on the characterization, instead criticizing Trump's competence and close aides' efforts at executing his operation to challenge the election, The Atlantic article explains.
“You know, you only have five weeks, Mr. President, after an election to make legal challenges,” Barr told Trump. “This would have taken a crackerjack team with a really coherent and disciplined strategy. Instead, you have a clown show. No self-respecting lawyer is going anywhere near it. It’s just a joke. That’s why you are where you are.”
According to aides present and Barr, Trump agreed with the jab, saying "you may be right about that."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli...365066001/

Gotta love the faux love for pence from the people who mocked him at every turn.

Quote: @greediron said:
Gotta love the faux love for pence from the people who mocked him at every turn.
Notta lotta luv from me. We share few personal values Mr Pence and I. Both love our country though. 

I'll bet you and I agree on this; that he's worthy of an accolade.

Worthy for the simple reason of having the conviction to be a near singular voice of sanity during the fiery end of a short-lived regime.