Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Congrats to the Thielens

So Adam didn't think having a pregnant wife and going to the hospital to have his baby delivered warranted getting vaccinated?  Pretty disappointing IMO.  

Quote: @JR44 said:
So Adam didn't think having a pregnant wife and going to the hospital to have his baby delivered warranted getting vaccinated?  Pretty disappointing IMO.  
JR, one thing I've learned during COVID and now with the vaccines: you won't change anyone's mind. In fact, they will only double down. And this will continue moving forward. The lack of vaccinations will allow variants to spread worldwide much faster than normal and countries outside the U.S. will find themselves shutting down, reopening, shutting down, etc. I don't see the U.S. ever shutting down again like it did and if the Biden administration tries it again, he'll be one and done. I think most know I hated Trump, but I'm no Biden lover either from a policy standpoint. In fact, I've really disliked what I've seen so far from his administration. I wish that I had another alternative to Trump and Biden to vote for, but we have a two party system.

There's a reason I hate most people. Stupid people making stupid decisions that impact me personally. Toilet paper, gas, vaccines. JFC. 

Green Day was right.

I don’t agree that people are stuck in their ways about the vaccine.  There’s two main obstacles that get in the
way of converting people to that viewpoint. 
The biggest obstacle the pro-vaccine community has is that many people
have a valid mistrust of authority, namely political authority, medical
authority, and media authority.  It’s
unfortunate that in the past, that these institutions have eroded public trust
so far that it has created a large number of people that won’t believe anything
they say.

The second obstacle is that they (as a group) are horrible
at communicating in a persuasive manner. 
You will never change anyone’s mind, by first insulting them.  The pro-vaccine tribe’s dominant form of
communication is in belittling other people. 
In this thread there are 3 replies to the original post, and all 3
replies have taken the tone of being a moral authority looking down from their
ivory tower dismissively at the bad people who are being irresponsible.  This will immediately put everyone who isn’t
already on the tribe, on the defensive and make it harder for them to hear any
of their more factually based arguments.

Quote: @medaille said:
I don’t agree that people are stuck in their ways about the vaccine.  There’s two main obstacles that get in the
they say.

You will never change anyone’s mind, by first insulting them.  The pro-vaccine tribe’s dominant form of
ivory tower dismissively at the bad people who are being irresponsible.  This will immediately put everyone who isn’t
Yes, you've pinpointed it: the science backed information and overwhelming multitude of doctors for vaccinations just wasn't presented by nice enough people. If only they were more persuasive....more patient. The 'ivory tower' is just so high, I think the address is 103 W. Moral Authority Drive. The air is so rarified. You've convinced me. They just can't 'hear' it right, shame on us, the belittlers.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=7713620]

Look, I think Thielen isnt making the right decisions not to vaccinate. But his right/his body. I do appreciate that he has kept to himself about it.

I really have tried to be sensitive to those who wont or can't vaccinate. I'll feel bad for em when these new, more contagious variants inevitably hit.  

30% of Covid patients suffer from some forms of PTSD (source: JAMA) and a relatively high % of them are long-haulers. A bad place to be. 

That said, I sure hope in a year we're no longer talking about anyone in terms of vaxed or not, but I wont place $ on it. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@medaille said:
they say.

Yes, you've pinpointed it: the science backed information and overwhelming multitude of doctors for vaccinations just wasn't presented by nice enough people. If only they were more persuasive....more patient. The 'ivory tower' is just so high, I think the address is 103 W. Moral Authority Drive. The air is so rarified. You've convinced me. They just can't 'hear' it right, shame on us, the belittlers.

Need to take a Dale Carnegie course.  Belittling people is not a successful way to win and influence others.  Belittling is all too common today in a variety of areas, especially on the web!

Quote: @IDVikingfan said:
@StickyBun said:
@medaille said:
they say.

Need to take a Dale Carnegie course.  Belittling people is not a successful way to win and influence others.  Belittling is all too common today in a variety of areas, especially on the web!
I have much to learn!

Quote: @IDVikingfan said:
@StickyBun said:
@medaille said:
they say.

So saying you think "in your opinion" that someone should get vaccinated especially if they have a pregnant wife is belittling them?  Maybe we need a Dale Carnegie course on how not to play the victim and take responsibility instead of deflecting blame on others.