Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another miss for Mayock
Five of Mayock's six 1st round picks since he began as GM for the Raiders have been head scratchers. Ferrell, Ruggs, Arnette, Abram and Leatherwood.

It's one thing to miss on a player. Happens all the time. But to go so far outside of consensus and take a player most draft observers viewed as a 2nd or 3rd rounder, and do it three years in a row, and be wrong on 5 of 6...that's another thing entirely. I give you Mike Mayock.

Now, obviously, it's much too early to say anything about Leatherwood, but there seems to be a pattern emerging. 

https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1...82403?s=20

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Five of Mayock's six 1st round picks since he began as GM for the Raiders have been head scratchers. Ferrell, Ruggs, Arnette, Abram and Leatherwood.

It's one thing to miss on a player. Happens all the time. But to go so far outside of consensus and take a player most draft observers viewed as a 2nd or 3rd rounder, and do it three years in a row, and be wrong on 5 of 6...that's another thing entirely. I give you Mike Mayock.

Now, obviously, it's much too early to say anything about Leatherwood, but there seems to be a pattern emerging. 

https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1...82403?s=20
Maybe he's smarter than all the rest of us.../sarcasm

Combine Mayock with Gruden equals brutal IMO.  I think Gruden is a very average coach who created a TV personality with that shit eatin grin/grimace.  For some reason he is considered a QB guru and I have no idea why?  He used to do the pre-draft QB breakdown show before getting back into coaching and I never learned one thing ( zero insight)  from his breakdowns and he never said anything critical about any of the kids.  Everyone was going to be great including Tebow. 

In case you can't tell I am not a Gruden fan Smile   Mayock I actually met and talked with years ago on a flight from New Orleans to Philly.  Nice guy and I liked listening to him when he was giving player breakdowns before GM.  But his drafting has been extremely questionable.   

Hey Mayock, gotta 16 game starter at LG I’ll trade you even up for your place kicker,
what do ya say buddy…? 
Wink B)  

Again, as a collective, this board could easily outdo Mayock.

Quote: @minny65 said:
Combine Mayock with Gruden equals brutal IMO.  I think Gruden is a very average coach who created a TV personality with that shit eatin grin/grimace.  For some reason he is considered a QB guru and I have no idea why?  He used to do the pre-draft QB breakdown show before getting back into coaching and I never learned one thing ( zero insight)  from his breakdowns and he never said anything critical about any of the kids.  Everyone was going to be great including Tebow. 

In case you can't tell I am not a Gruden fan Smile   Mayock I actually met and talked with years ago on a flight from New Orleans to Philly.  Nice guy and I liked listening to him when he was giving player breakdowns before GM.  But his drafting has been extremely questionable.   
Thing is....if you really paid attention to his evaluations when he was at NFLN, before he became GM, you could've seen this coming. Great guy, loved listening to him. He, probably more than anyone since Kiper, became the face of the NFL draft. However, his player evaluations weren't very good.

When Mayock was hired as GM, I laughed my ass off. I mean this guy has ZERO background in player evaluation. He was never once a scout, never once wrote a scouting report. Nor did he work his way up through personnel jobs. And suddenly he's your new GM? In charge of all personnel decisions on your team? LOL. Good luck with that. 

Grudens calls the shots there not Mayock.

Quote: @comet52 said:
I think Gruden should be under more scrutiny. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@comet52 said:
I think Gruden should be under more scrutiny. 
We already knew Gruden was an idiot. So from what I've read, Mayock is in charge of the scouting staff and develops the teams draft board. But i've also heard that Gruden has the last say on all personnel decisions. I'm not sure that's even possible when it comes to the draft, but if this is true, it's a completely dysfunctional process. 

Either way, Mayock is the one who is being held to account for the decisions. Not just by fans and media, but by himself.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@minny65 said:

Thing is....if you really paid attention to his evaluations when he was at NFLN, before he became GM, you could've seen this coming. Great guy, loved listening to him. He, probably more than anyone since Kiper, became the face of the NFL draft. However, his player evaluations weren't very good.

When Mayock was hired as GM, I laughed my ass off. I mean this guy has ZERO background in player evaluation. He was never once a scout, never once wrote a scouting report. Nor did he work his way up through personnel jobs. And suddenly he's your new GM? In charge of all personnel decisions on your team? LOL. Good luck with that. 
Talking about something is completely different than doing it.