Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on the Vikings offense?
So...  after 4 preseason games, how is everyone feeling about the offense this season?  Quite a few were predicting a top 10-15 offense.

Personally, I saw nothing that has me optimistic we'll be better than last year.  Same red zone woes with penalties and mistakes that prevent us from scoring.  Bradford settling for short throws, even when he has had time and a clean pocket.

Dalvin Cook looks good and the run blocking looks better, but it sure seems like we're trying to throw the ball early and often.  That resulted in no offensive TDs from our starters this preseason...  

Maybe we should get back to being who we were in 2015 and pound the fuck out of a defense with our running game?  I actually think Bradford would be more effective with less passing attempts.

I hate to be a negative nelly, but I think we're going to be in the same boat as last season.  A top 10 defense with a bottom 10 offense that struggles to score 20 points per game.  

Tell me I'm wrong.

I wish I could say you were wrong but I can't. Because Sam is skittish and the OL is still a concern, it's hard to get a feel for how effective the offense will be. We have weapons at wide receiver, tight end and running back but it all depends on the timing as to how well things work. Also I am wondering what exactly Shurmur is going to do with the offense. Hopefully he has more tricks up his sleeve but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Who says we won't be pounding the ball?  In preseason you work on the question marks.  We know this group of guys can run block, and we certainly saw enough of Dalvin to know he can run.  Why run up the mileage on him when it doesn't count?  On the other hand, how much did we know about this group and a new passing game?  Front to back, there were questions.  Can the line hold a pocket?  Can the backs pick up a blitz?  Can we get Bradford comfortable enough to do a controlled move out of the pocket instead of running for his life?  What do we really have with this very young receiving crew?

I don't know if we'll be top 10, but I am comfortable that we will be more balanced and better than last year.  That's not to say I don't see tons of room for improvement, but lets enjoy watching them grow!

Quote: @Watcher said:
Who says we won't be pounding the ball?  In preseason you work on the question marks.  We know this group of guys can run block, and we certainly saw enough of Dalvin to know he can run.  Why run up the mileage on him when it doesn't count?  On the other hand, how much did we know about this group and a new passing game?  Front to back, there were questions.  Can the line hold a pocket?  Can the backs pick up a blitz?  Can we get Bradford comfortable enough to do a controlled move out of the pocket instead of running for his life?  What do we really have with this very young receiving crew?

I don't know if we'll be top 10, but I am comfortable that we will be more balanced and better than last year.  That's not to say I don't see tons of room for improvement, but lets enjoy watching them grow!
Sure, some teams use preseason differently than others...  but typically you'll see some semblance of offensive philosophy show through.  Teams will run bland, scripted plays and keep others close to the best for the regular season...  but look at our execution.  Pretty bad when we can't score a TD in...  what was it?  12+ offensive series from our starters?

Further, the pass to run ratio was skewed too heavily towards the pass IMO.  Much like last season...  I hope to hell we run the ball more during the regular season to slow down the opposing teams pass rush and give our offense a chance. 

I honestly have no idea...how many snaps did our OL starters have together...I think on paper we are a better O...but there's almost no proof I can point to from the preseason...saw a few glimpses of what Cook is capable of...Diggs had some horrific drops...Murray looks like a decent change of pace guy...Not sure I'm down with Theilan in the slot...

Four preseason games in and we know nothing more about this O than we did in June... 

Hard to say for sure, but not sure why anything would change for the better. The offensive line is the biggest weakness on the team. Where will the redzone scoring come from? How many kill shots will Bradford take again, peeling himself off the turf? The defense seems like an inconsistent, but talented X-factor. Can they stop the run?

It just smells like a disappointing season. 

Quote: @Wetlander said:
So...  after 4 preseason games, how is everyone feeling about the offense this season?  Quite a few were predicting a top 10-15 offense.

Personally, I saw nothing that has me optimistic we'll be better than last year.  Same red zone woes with penalties and mistakes that prevent us from scoring.  Bradford settling for short throws, even when he has had time and a clean pocket.

Dalvin Cook looks good and the run blocking looks better, but it sure seems like we're trying to throw the ball early and often.  That resulted in no offensive TDs from our starters this preseason...  

Maybe we should get back to being who we were in 2015 and pound the fuck out of a defense with our running game?  I actually think Bradford would be more effective with less passing attempts.

I hate to be a negative nelly, but I think we're going to be in the same boat as last season.  A top 10 defense with a bottom 10 offense that struggles to score 20 points per game.  

Tell me I'm wrong.

You're wrong.

Good thread...

I am probably more in Barr's camp, don't feel like I know what we got yet. A work in progress? Yup, and as usual during Zimmer's tenure.

Sure doesn't feel like 98, but it should be better than a year ago. How much better???

D is going to have to keep games close. Doesn't feel like a come from behind group. Remember that going against Brees a week from tonight.

I don't remember many posters indicating that we would be in the teens or Top 10 range.

I, and I thought most others, were talking about a move up into the high teens to 20 range.

We are all hoping for an average OL to get us to that point.  I also think many/most of us know that a total OL rebuild takes time.  Time in not days or even weeks - months.  I think we will see an average OL with some blocking unison around mid season.

I know many fans don't have realistic expectations and everything is in the "now" but a total rebuild from one of the worst OL I have ever seen is a whole unit not a quick fix of signing one or two players.

Also, on a realistic expectation front, I expect our Defense to be in the Top 5 range again (in terms of pts per game because that is my main criteria for both offense and defense).  That puts you in the 19 point range on defense and to get to about the 20 - high teens range on offense - we need to be in the 22/23 point range.  

That all said,  I still expect us to be competing for the division title.  

Well I was never in the top 10 - 15 offense camp and really wasn't expecting a whole hell of lot more out of them this year.  But, a little improvement would be nice.  I like the fact that they're going with more youth and looking toward the future, especially along the OL and drafting Dalvin was a good thing.

I'm gonna say 8-9 wins this season, any more and I'll be elated.