Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
O-line starters?
https://vikingsterritory.com/2021/offsea...nsive-line

Not hard to imagine Tomasson spending hours clicking through film frame by frame to capture this, but here is what he deduced;
LT Rashod Hill
LG Ezra Cleveland
C Garrett Bradbury
RG Dakota Dozier
RT Brian O’Neill

My take away is that Cleveland has switched to LG as a more permanent position.  That leaves RG open for Cole or Davis to start once they acclimate to the scheme.  Darrisaw will have to work to beat out Hill early on, but having that option is good for the team IMO.

I think most of us would like to have Hill as back-up guy vs starter. But coaches got to see what they have in Darrisaw before tossing him out there, so I get it. 

Even if he is a starter by opening day, how much (if at all) do they need to protect him with play calling and or a TE/RB to help with chips etc...

Lots to play out for sure.

I'd be shocked if this is what our opening day line looks like...  this is typical Zimmer fashion.  Cole, Darrisaw, and Davis are all new to the team (or rookies).  He is just allowing the new guys to get acclimated to the offense and if they perform good enough against the second unit, they move up.

Good to see Cleveland at LG.  I don't think the plan was to play him at RG last year...  they were forced to by injuries. Hopefully he makes LG his permanent home.

Cleveland wasnt a RG until injuries at RG forced him to swap sides,  he was at LG all camp last year IIRC.

Moving Cleveland to LG tells me they fully expect Davis to win the job at RG. Otherwise, I think they would have Cole at LG and Cleveland at RG. I also agree with Wetlander that this is just Zimmer being Zimmer and forcing the new guys to "earn" their jobs and not have it simply "given" to them. Hard to disagree with that. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Moving Cleveland to LG tells me they fully expect Davis to win the job at RG. Otherwise, I think they would have Cole at LG and Cleveland at RG. I also agree with Wetlander that this is just Zimmer being Zimmer and forcing the new guys to "earn" their jobs and not have it simply "given" to them. Hard to disagree with that. 
Yes, it puts Cleveland back on his natural side and leaves the RG side open to competition.  Dunno about Zimmer being Zimmer, just seems natural that a rookie isn't going to take the spot in the first day of OTAs.  That would hardly be fair to the rook or the rest of the offense.

And yes, it seems like the RG opening is obvious
https://twitter.com/NickOlsonNFL/status/...78564?s=20

They just want guys to "earn" their spots, rather than feeling entitled.  I think we all know the lineup that will end up happening unless there's some major unexpected issues.