Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Day After
Really enjoyed the draft this weekend but there were some Who? moments that made me do some research. 

Round 1: No. 23 (from Jets) – Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech  Loved the pick, loved the trade, LT plus 2 3rd rounders = value.

Round 3: No. 66 – Kellen Mond, QB, Texas A&M  Not my top guy, watched some of his film and he is growing on me.  QBs were going here had to get 1 if we wanted 1.

Round 3: No. 78 – Chazz Surratt, LB, North Carolina Chazz is a Wilson replacement, not Barr replacement, we'll see how fast he learns to be LB in NFL

Round 3: No. 86 – Wyatt Davis, G, Ohio State  Loved the pick, will make OL better if he gets healthy, should get better with coaching, NASTY!

Round 3: No. 90 (from Ravens) – Patrick Jones II, DE, Pittsburgh Needed to add pass rusher, that is what Jones does 21.5 sacks in college 17.5 in last 2 years

Round 4: No. 119 – Kene Nwangwu, RB, Iowa State  FAST! you simply cannot coach speed, not much film but what there is he is running away from everybody.  He has BURST!

Round 4: No. 125 (from Bears) – Camryn Bynum, CB, California Everybody loves this kid as a person and leader, can he make the move to safety?

Round 4: No. 134 (from Bills) – Janarius Robinson, DE, Florida State See Jones comments, Great week of practice at Senior Bowl He and Jones are Patterson fit guys, lets see who can learn the fastest and get on the field

Round 5: No. 157 – Ihmir Smith-Marsette, WR, Iowa FAST! of all our picks I am really intrigued by Smith-Marsette.  Can see him being open for big playes in 3 WR sets.  Opposing teams will have to cover him with 3rd corner or safety.  Legit 4.3 speed.  Loved the Draft diamonds piece on him.  They flat out say he is a Devonta Smith clone but has 15 LBs on him.  They said he is a steal in the 4th round!!!  We get him in the 5th!

Round 5: No. 168 (from Steelers) – Zach Davidson, TE, Central Missouri Not what I expected (thought we would get a blocking TE) but was pleasently surprised by him.  Love his baskeball background, good hands and fast for a TE. He is the anti Rudolf.

Round 6: No. 199 – Jaylen Twyman, DT, Pittsburgh Why not with our last pick, in 19 he showed a lot of promise "collecting 41 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, and 10.5 sacks"  Did 40 reps at the pro day.  He and Lynch will battle it out for rushing DT role.

I will add more as I find it but that's my impression the day after.
People sleep peacably at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

The philosophy and positional targeting aspect of this draft was great and may have saved Ricks job.  He didint get cute and only dropped down once and still got Darrisaw which allowed us to get Mond.  Now if the players taken withe these draft picks pan out it will be a home run. No seventh rounders so I am proud of Rick. 

Quote: @"PSBLAKE" said:
The philosophy and positional targeting aspect of this draft was great and may have saved Ricks job.  He didint get cute and only dropped down once and still got Darrisaw which allowed us to get Mond.  Now if the players taken withe these draft picks pan out it will be a home run. No seventh rounders so I am proud of Rick. 
If what I read was right? 500 fewer players this draft?

Mucking in the 7th rd wasn't the place to play this draft. 

Quote: @"rf54" said:
Really enjoyed the draft this weekend but there were some Who? moments that made me do some research. 

Round 1: No. 23 (from Jets) – Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech  Loved the pick, loved the trade, LT plus 2 3rd rounders = value.

Round 3: No. 66 – Kellen Mond, QB, Texas A&M  Not my top guy, watched some of his film and he is growing on me.  QBs were going here had to get 1 if we wanted 1.

Round 3: No. 78 – Chazz Surratt, LB, North Carolina Chazz is a Wilson replacement, not Barr replacement, we'll see how fast he learns to be LB in NFL

Round 3: No. 86 – Wyatt Davis, G, Ohio State  Loved the pick, will make OL better if he gets healthy, should get better with coaching, NASTY!

Round 3: No. 90 (from Ravens) – Patrick Jones II, DE, Pittsburgh Needed to add pass rusher, that is what Jones does 21.5 sacks in college 17.5 in last 2 years

Round 4: No. 119 – Kene Nwangwu, RB, Iowa State  FAST! you simply cannot coach speed, not much film but what there is he is running away from everybody.  He has BURST!

Round 4: No. 125 (from Bears) – Camryn Bynum, CB, California Everybody loves this kid as a person and leader, can he make the move to safety?

Round 4: No. 134 (from Bills) – Janarius Robinson, DE, Florida State See Jones comments, Great week of practice at Senior Bowl He and Jones are Patterson fit guys, lets see who can learn the fastest and get on the field

Round 5: No. 157 – Ihmir Smith-Marsette, WR, Iowa FAST! of all our picks I am really intrigued by Smith-Marsette.  Can see him being open for big playes in 3 WR sets.  Opposing teams will have to cover him with 3rd corner or safety.  Legit 4.3 speed.  Loved the Draft diamonds piece on him.  They flat out say he is a Devonta Smith clone but has 15 LBs on him.  They said he is a steal in the 4th round!!!  We get him in the 5th!

Round 5: No. 168 (from Steelers) – Zach Davidson, TE, Central Missouri Not what I expected (thought we would get a blocking TE) but was pleasently surprised by him.  Love his baskeball background, good hands and fast for a TE. He is the anti Rudolf.

Round 6: No. 199 – Jaylen Twyman, DT, Pittsburgh Why not with our last pick, in 19 he showed a lot of promise "collecting 41 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, and 10.5 sacks"  Did 40 reps at the pro day.  He and Lynch will battle it out for rushing DT role.

I will add more as I find it but that's my impression the day after.
I like all of our picks, but I think a few were "overdrafted". I think we followed the Raiders model of drafting this year and fixated on a group of players we really liked and potentially took them a round or two earlier than they were projected to go. With the lack of scouting info this year, nobody really knows where teams had these players ranked on their boards, but we passed on a lot of great players in the 3rd and 4th rounds that I thought would really help us. Oh well, I'm not going to second guess. I learned my lesson last year after I was scratching my head on the Wonnum pick and look how that turned out. 

Quote: @"rf54" said:

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/02...-marsette/

With the NFL Draft quickly approaching, all eyes seem to be on the wide receiver class. Many have DeVonta Smith of Alabama as their number one with LSU’s Ja’Marr Chase right behind him. Then another Alabama wide out Jaylen Waddle is right behind them, but are they forgetting a wide out?
I honestly believe they are missing a wide receiver prospect. I feel because Ihmir-Smith Marsette finished the season injured, people are overlooking him.
When you breakdown his film there is not much difference between Ihmir and the top prospect DeVonta Smith. Both are around 6’1, Smith-Marsette is a little heavier at 179 and both can return kicks.
I have been blown away when breaking down film on Smith-Marsette. He reminds me heavily of Kansas City Chiefs WR Mecole Herdman. He was utilized the same way Hardman is for the Chiefs. They hit him on screens, he has several designed runs and he is explosive return man. You can see he is a problem for opposing defenses.
I project Ihmir Smith-Marsette to end up going a lot sooner than people project. He did get injured this year, but his recovery is said to be moving along fine. He has a pro day next month at Iowa. If he can have a great pro day, his name could start trending upwards.
Remember in the preseason, Ihmir had a 2nd round Blesto grade. This kid is a super star in the making. Many have him going 4th to 5th in their Mock Drafts, but they may want to start changing that.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"rf54" said:

With the NFL Draft quickly approaching, all eyes seem to be on the wide receiver class. Many have DeVonta Smith of Alabama as their number one with LSU’s Ja’Marr Chase right behind him. Then another Alabama wide out Jaylen Waddle is right behind them, but are they forgetting a wide out?
I honestly believe they are missing a wide receiver prospect. I feel because Ihmir-Smith Marsette finished the season injured, people are overlooking him.
When you breakdown his film there is not much difference between Ihmir and the top prospect DeVonta Smith. Both are around 6’1, Smith-Marsette is a little heavier at 179 and both can return kicks.
I have been blown away when breaking down film on Smith-Marsette. He reminds me heavily of Kansas City Chiefs WR Mecole Herdman. He was utilized the same way Hardman is for the Chiefs. They hit him on screens, he has several designed runs and he is explosive return man. You can see he is a problem for opposing defenses.
I project Ihmir Smith-Marsette to end up going a lot sooner than people project. He did get injured this year, but his recovery is said to be moving along fine. He has a pro day next month at Iowa. If he can have a great pro day, his name could start trending upwards.
Remember in the preseason, Ihmir had a 2nd round Blesto grade. This kid is a super star in the making. Many have him going 4th to 5th in their Mock Drafts, but they may want to start changing that.
Good find on that article MB. When you watch him on tape, he definitely looks like someone who projects as a third round talent. He also suffered from bad QB play last year. I was critical of the Vikings not taking a receiver earlier, but this could be our next Diggs. 

Quote: @"TBro" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"rf54" said:

Good find on that article MB. When you watch him on tape, he definitely looks like someone who projects as a third round talent. He also suffered from bad QB play last year. I was critical of the Vikings not taking a receiver earlier, but this could be our next Diggs. 
I always look for WRs who had bad QBs. That was part of the reason Diggs lasted so long. His true talent was disguised by injuries and poor QB play at Maryland. Makes you think; how would this player have looked on Alabama, for example. So while I liked Shi Smith a little more for that reason, ISM was a very similar player. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"TBro" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"rf54" said:

I always look for WRs who had bad QBs. That was part of the reason Diggs lasted so long. His true talent was disguised by injuries and poor QB play at Maryland. Makes you think; how would this player have looked on Alabama, for example. So while I liked Shi Smith a little more for that reason, ISM was a very similar player. 

I was hoping we would take Fehoko from Stanford in the 4th as he is a similar type of player who didn't reach his full potential in College. Cowboys took him in the 5th. I think Smith-Marsette is a more polished prospect. 

Hawkeye QB'ing was awful...

Quote: @"TBro" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"TBro" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"rf54" said:

I was hoping we would take Fehoko from Stanford in the 4th as he is a similar type of player who didn't reach his full potential in College. Cowboys took him in the 5th. I think Smith-Marsette is a more polished prospect. 
Loved Fehoko. His routes and ball adjustment reminded me so much of Thielen. Also like Thielen, he's faster than you think he should be. Bottom line was that the receivers ran super deep this year. I think ISM will be a legit contender for WR3.