Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logjam at DE
The Vikings have one elite DE in Danielle Hunter (injury & contract withstanding), but after him they have a lot of decent players but no clear standouts. They have:

Jordan Brailford 6'3 252
Jalyn Holmes 6'5 283
Patrick Jones II 6'4 264
Hercules Mata'afa 6'2 254
Janarius Robinson 6'5 266
Stephen Weatherly 6'5 265
Kenny Willekes 6'3 264
DJ Wonnum 6'5 258

Wonnum and Weatherly seem like the front runners to start opposite of Hunter. Jones was the productive college pass rusher without the elite physical traits and Robinson is the type of long athletic edge that they like with the thought being that he was poorly coached at Florida State. I am happy that they took Darrisaw early, because LT was a bigger need, but you can see why the Vikings were targeting DEs in the first. They have decent players, but wanted someone who could standout as a bookend with Hunter.

Who do you think will start opposite of Hunter this year and do you think any of these guys can be more than a rotational player or will they be looking for DEs early in next year's draft?

Quote: @"Tyr" said:
The Vikings have one elite DE in Danielle Hunter (injury & contract withstanding), but after him they have a lot of decent players but no clear standouts. They have:

Jordan Brailford 6'3 252
Jalyn Holmes 6'5 283
Patrick Jones II 6'4 264
Hercules Mata'afa 6'2 254
Janarius Robinson 6'5 266
Stephen Weatherly 6'5 265
Kenny Willekes 6'3 264
DJ Wonnum 6'5 258

Wonnum and Weatherly seem like the front runners to start opposite of Hunter. Jones was the productive college pass rusher without the elite physical traits and Robinson is the type of long athletic edge that they like with the thought being that he was poorly coached at Florida State. I am happy that they took Darrisaw early, because LT was a bigger need, but you can see why the Vikings were targeting DEs in the first. They have decent players, but wanted someone who could standout as a bookend with Hunter.

Who do you think will start opposite of Hunter this year and do you think any of these guys can be more than a rotational player or will they be looking for DEs early in next year's draft?
I'll say it's a rotation with Wonnum and Jones mostly. Robinson looks like a very high upside project, so I doubt he contributes much his 1st season. 4th round is too high to stash on the practice squad, so he probably gets a roster spot. Willekes can go on the PS. Brailford, Mata'afa and Weatherly on the bubble. 

I am definitely concerned about the lack of pass rush that they had last season. I think getting Hunter back plus having Pierce and Tomlinson in the middle, and an improved secondary (though one safety spot is a question) should put whomever plays opposite of Hunter in a much more favorable situation. Guys like Wonnum and Weatherly are solid, Jones was a productive pass rusher in college, and Robinson probably has the highest ceiling if he can be coached up.

My bad

This video made an impression on me, I wanna see how KW does with a redshirt rookie season.

Quote: @"Mattyman" said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKys-tjyJJY
Excellent point ...kidding

I am concerned as well.  Just like a lot of players with supposed "tweaks" we all expect the player to come back 100%.  Well how many do?  Then when you think the player will be 90%  we all think that is more than good enough for that player.  But the difference between a 90% Hunter and a 100% regular pass rusher is a lot bigger then we think. We watch the drafts and we all say that player A who runs/lifts/bends  .2 seconds faster is the difference.  But we plug and player a like Hunter as if their is no difference then pre injury. 

It's just the fan in all of us (me included) even though I am not trying to be a debbie downer as opposed to prepared/realistic.    

We loaded up on D in free agency this off season and we all assume the D is taken care of.  So Hunter is 100% and FA took care of everything on D.  I hope that it is all true.

Spelly did almost everything I wanted in this draft(which I admit I am a syncophent  for Spelly (big word and spelled wrong)  .  OK everything, not almost, I was in love with Darrisaw + we got a high second rounder in Wyatt and then Mond.  Every other pick is a bonus and I trust Spelly.  

I remain concerned about Hunter because we all assume everything is A OK, but if not, the pyramid folds.  I would have really liked a Basham or Weaver on the other side of Hunter.  Not saying they are Hunter because they are not at there peak.  Just trying to mention that Hunter might be 90%. and that requires a lot more help.