Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Round one tea leaves
Part of what makes the draft so much fun is the intrigue, the gamesmanship and league intelligence that happens. What makes it even more fun is that very little of this is made public. When a team drafts a player, it's like getting married: all the talk of other flirtations ends and you're hitched...for better or worse. This is the only person you wanted and you wanted them all along. And what God(del) hath created, let no man put asunder.

But, like a marriage, we all know none of that is true. This is how I think it went down based on the pressers. 

Vikings considered moving as high as 4 for Sewell or Slater but the cost was too high. When Sewell went at 7, Vikings called several teams between 8 and 12 to move ahead of the Chargers for Slater, but could find no taker. I think the Vikings really expected to be able to do this. 

At 14, the Vikings had a ranked list of 5 players they liked. Those players, in no order, were Darrisaw, Collins, Phillips, Paye and Rousseau. Vikings calculated an opportunity to trade down to 23, get more picks and still have at least one of those five players make it through the 8 slots to 23.

Problem was, they started going. Collins and Phillips went off early, panicking the Vikings and forcing them to the phones to try to move up, but found no takers. At 21, the Vikings felt better as three players from their list remained on the board with just two slots ahead of them. Those players were Paye, Darrisaw and Rousseau. Paye went at 21. Vikings took Darrisaw at 23. 

I think the Vikings may have taken Darrisaw over Paye and even Collins. But I'm curious who they would've taken if all five were still on the board. I have a hunch it would've been Phillips. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Part of what makes the draft so much fun is the intrigue, the gamesmanship and league intelligence that happens. What makes it even more fun is that very little of this is made public. When a team drafts a player, it's like getting married: all the talk of other flirtations ends and you're hitched...for better or worse. This is the only person you wanted and you wanted them all along. And what God(del) hath created, let no man put asunder.

But, like a marriage, we all know none of that is true. This is how I think it went down based on the pressers. 

Vikings considered moving as high as 4 for Sewell or Slater but the cost was too high. When Sewell went at 7, Vikings called several teams between 8 and 12 to move ahead of the Chargers for Slater, but could find no taker. I think the Vikings really expected to be able to do this. 

At 14, the Vikings had a ranked list of 5 players they liked. Those players, in no order, were Darrisaw, Collins, Phillips, Paye and Rousseau. Vikings calculated an opportunity to trade down to 23, get more picks and still have at least one of those five players make it through the 8 slots to 23.

Problem was, they started going. Collins and Phillips went off early, panicking the Vikings and forcing them to the phones to try to move up, but found no takers. At 21, the Vikings felt better as three players from their list remained on the board with just two slots ahead of them. Those players were Paye, Darrisaw and Rousseau. Paye went at 21. Vikings took Darrisaw at 23. 

I think the Vikings may have taken Darrisaw over Paye and even Collins. But I'm curious who they would've taken if all five were still on the board. I have a hunch it would've been Phillips. 
Hard to say. It sounds like they had AVT and Darrisaw ranked evenly. If they didn't have a trade down partner, and had to stay at 14, I think it would have been Darrisaw because he was a pure left tackle and Rick seems to value that over interior OLine which we know AVT projects to. 

Quote: @TBro said:
@MaroonBells said:

Hard to say. It sounds like they had AVT and Darrisaw ranked evenly. If they didn't have a trade down partner, and had to stay at 14, I think it would have been Darrisaw because he was a pure left tackle and Rick seems to value that over interior OLine which we know AVT projects to. 
They could've drafted AVT at 14 if they'd wanted him. I was a little surprised they didn't. Looks to me like they really wanted the tackle much more than guard. 

A tackle is more valuable than a guard so I doubt they had AVT on a short board for 14, or equally rated with Darrisaw.  Also there are rumors that they were going to take Fields at #14 if he was there.  

...and I wonder if Zimmer was looking pissed because he had been vetoed in his campaigning for Rousseau? 

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
...and I wonder if Zimmer was looking pissed because he had been vetoed in his campaigning for Rousseau? 
This. Its why I'm happy the got Darrisaw.

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
I saw that. I am so glad that they went with OL. 

I'm glad Parsons didnt fall there. After his interview where he claimed a professional team was #LBU I said man this dude seems different and not in a good way.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@TBro said:
@MaroonBells said:

They could've drafted AVT at 14 if they'd wanted him. I was a little surprised they didn't. Looks to me like they really wanted the tackle much more than guard. 
Agree, I wanted Darrisaw for a long while and did not want AVT at 14 unless we drop down and get additional picks.  Worked out the best case scenario "for me" .  We get Darrisaw and move down and pick up 2 early 3rd rounders!  I had said consistently that I wanted one of the BIG 3 otherwise my draft outlook would be negative.  Also, Darrisaw is a pure LT and AVT is a Guard and so much more value for a LT.  Now we need to go get one of those listed Tackles who will play guard like Cleveland last year.  Christensen is an athletic match to Cleveland then I would take a shot at Eichenberg....but we still need a Guard.  I think Spelly is just amazing in the draft.

Nice job of summarizing the tea leaves MB.

Sounds like the Vikings almost got caught over thinking the first round selection but came out in pretty darn good shape for the first player in their shopping cart.

I am now very interested in tonights picks.  If they come away with some real solid help in the second and third rounds this could set the tone for another solid draft which is what everyone hoped for.  After working the defense over with free agency i am hoping for more help on offense (both OL and maybe another nice weapon).