Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GB - Stokes?
The only pick in round 1 that I never saw go in the first round from any analyst or mock.  

From PFF:
Analysis
THE BOTTOM LINE

FOURTH ROUND
Despite three years of solid performances from Stokes, there's still not a ton of "wow" on his tape.
PROS
  • Plays the catch point down the field very well. Locates hands and rakes through.
  • Well-versed in press coverage. 400 such snaps the past two years.
  • Ticks the speed box. Wasn't an issue on tape.
  • Barely tested and stingy in 2020. Allowed .51 yards per coverage snap.
CONS
  • Not particularly fluid altering course. Better in a straight line.
  • Not much upper body strength. Jams can be swatted away.
  • Four INTs this year not indicative of instincts (2 stopped routes and 2 overthrows).
  • Relies on contact with WRs along route. Grabby.

29. Green Bay Packers: Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia
  • Grade: B-
The Packers had to address cornerback at some point to try to get the ideal complementary playmaker for Jaire Alexander. This just seems early as they again eschew direct offensive help for Aaron Rodgers, either an offensive tackle or wide receiver. Stokes keeps up the theme of nice-sized corners going early and often and he has some special on-ball attributes. It’s just Green Bay could have found some good values at the position later vs. what it passed up.

Well, so much for using this pick to keep Aaron Rodgers happy. Sure, the Packers could use a big, athletic corner like Stokes, but they had the chance to add a dynamic pass-catcher like Elijah Moore or a versatile offensive lineman like Teven Jenkins. Stokes has a promising blend of size, speed and length, which makes him an ideal candidate to eventually replace Kevin King. Still, ignoring the needs on offense won’t help tensions with the defending MVP quarterback.
GRADE: C-
GREEN BAY PACKERSStokes is an electric athlete, helps address a long-term need for the Packers, and should quell fans’ fears of depending too much on Kevin King in 2021. But it’s getting almost comical how much Green Bay’s front office has ignored the wide receiver position over the past two years. With reports circulating that Aaron Rodgers wants out of Green Bay, this wasn’t exactly an olive-branch-type pick. I don’t love the value for Stokes here (he is my no. 47 ranked player) and would’ve preferred the Packers add a playmaking pass-catcher like Elijah Moore or Terrace Marshall Jr. instead. 
Grade: C

[Image: packersb_logo.gif] Green Bay Packers: Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia - C Grade
I don't think the Packers needed to force a receiver with this pick because there aren't any great options available. However, I think the Packers needed to do something to make Aaron Rodgers happy, and that would entail selecting a blocker to help an offensive line that lost three starters in the offseason. Furthermore, if Rodgers is traded to the Broncos, as rumored, Patrick Surtain could've been included in the deal. That's obviously speculative, but it's still something that should be considered.

PFF on Darrisaw:

Analysis
THE BOTTOM LINE

FIRST ROUND
There's little doubt Darrisaw possesses the physicality to be an elite tackle. He looks close to NFL-ready.
PROS
  • Ox of an OT. Defenders move when he hits them. 13 big-time blocks tied for second among OTs.
  • Punch stops rushers in their tracks. Upper-body strength is tremendous.
  • Never gets out of control or overextended. Confident with his plan.
  • Faced a slate of talented edge players in the ACC who will be playing in the NFL.
CONS
  • Too quick to open up outside hip and let defenders run the loop on him.
  • Patient to a fault at times. No urgency when loses control of blocks.
  • Run-heavy Virginia Tech offense rarely left him on an island.
  • Only one year of elite grading. Massive leap from 2019 to 2020.
SUMMARYChristian Darrisaw received only one Power Five offer coming out of Maryland’s Riverdale Baptist School in 2016: Virginia Tech. The then-6-foot-5, 300-pound three-star offensive tackle recruit received offers from Morgan State, North Carolina Central and Central Connecticut before receiving an offer from and committing to Virginia Tech in November 2016. He took a prep year at Fork Union Military Academy in 2017 and joined the Hokies in 2018.
Darrisaw showed up in 2020 a different player than he was in his first two years at Virginia Tech. In his first game against N.C. State, outsiders could tell he was a different player. He went on to not allow a single sack or hit all season, with his lowest single-game grade being 77.5. The sheer number of positively graded run blocks he generated is stunning. He’s uniquely capable of moving men against their will. Just ask North Carolina linebacker Chazz Surratt, who ended up 30 yards downfield with Darrisaw on one play. While he’s not the most fleet of foot, you aren’t going through the Virginia Tech left tackle.

Im Stoked GB gave Rodgers the middle finger with a D pick. 

This was Guts picking a player out of spite.  Rodgers shat all over GB's first day of the draft so they shat on him.  I loved it.

And this is the 5th corner taken by GB in the first two rounds since 2017. Taking corners is always a good idea, but when you have the MVP bitching in the media and still throwing to Davante Adams and a bunch of crap, it seems you might want to get part of this very good WR class. 

I was worried they would trade up for Bateman. As a Gopher alum, that would've been a draft nightmare for me. Bateman and Adams would've been a scary combo for our defense to face. They had both Moore's and Marshall sitting there for them and they shit the bed for a questionable Corner who runs a fast Forty. I'm glad they continue to make stupid decisions. 

Quote: @TBro said:
I was worried they would trade up for Bateman. As a Gopher alum, that would've been a draft nightmare for me. Bateman and Adams would've been a scary combo for our defense to face. They had both Moore's and Marshall sitting there for them and they shit the bed for a questionable Corner who runs a fast Forty. I'm glad they continue to make stupid decisions. 
Without Rodgers the Packers would be a below .500 football team with the way the last few GM's have drafted.  

Spelly runs circles around the rest of the division.

Up to coaches to capitalize and develop the talent.  I can understand our record vs Rodgers but we should not be losing to the Bears and Lions as much as we have.  Step 1 - Win the Division (not on paper or winning the draft which we routinely do with Spelly) 

Edit:  Oh and have to get my shot at Belly cheat.  I saw a stat that the Pats have the 3rd fewest starts from draft picks over the last 5 years.  It may have been even over 5+ years but the point is another QB covered-up an organizations subpar performance is other area's.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
@TBro said:
Without Rodgers the Packers would be a below .500 football team with the way the last few GM's have drafted.  

Spelly runs circles around the rest of the division.

Up to coaches to capitalize and develop the talent.  I can understand our record vs Rodgers but we should not be losing to the Bears and Lions as much as we have.  Step 1 - Win the Division (not on paper or winning the draft which we routinely do with Spelly) 

Edit:  Oh and have to get my shot at Belly cheat.  I saw a stat that the Pats have the 3rd fewest starts from draft picks over the last 5 years.  It may have been even over 5+ years but the point is another QB covered-up an organizations subpar performance is other area's.  
With GBs current front office, they will be detroit once Rodgers leaves.