Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metropolitan Stadium Question
When the Vikings played there from 1961-1981 both teams stood on the same sideline.  Does anyone know why?

Quote: @Lee 19 said:
When the Vikings played there from 1961-1981 both teams stood on the same sideline.  Does anyone know why?
This was before my football time, but I found it interesting!

From this article: NFL has some little-known rules and regulations | FOX Sports

SAME SIDE: ''At the option of the home team, both the players' benches may be located on the same side of the field.'' Nobody does this anymore but the Packers used to when they split their home schedule between Green Bay and Milwaukee until they abandoned the old County Stadium 20 years ago. This made for interesting substitutions and some winded players. One time, former Lions coach Wayne Fontes was so caught up in the action he didn't realize he had meandered all the way down in front of the Packers' bench and was grabbing the wrong players to send into the game.

Did they have a space issue? Metropolitan Stadium - Wikipedia

The Met was often considered a substandard venue for football. The gridiron ran from around third base to right field (north-south), with barely enough room to fit the playing field and end zones. Wooden bleachers were brought onto the field during football season to bring fans closer to the game.[7] For 1965, a large double-decked grandstand was installed in left field to replace the temporary wooden bleachers. The Vikings actually paid for this new grandstand in return for reduced rent;[10] this location was prime sideline seating in the football configuration. This left the Met with the unique configuration of a double deck in left field, and bleachers behind third base. The left-field grandstand was originally planned to be capable of sliding toward or away from the gridiron (as Denver's Mile High Stadium later would be), but that part of the project was never realized.

Honestly, the Vikings had two shitty stadiums: The Met and the Metrodome. Both obsolete the minute they opened their doors for football. And now you have U.S. Bank stadium, arguably a top 3 NFL stadium in the country. 

That was quite the place, remember as a knothole "guest" sneaking through the fence under the outfield bleachers, and getting yelled at by Bob Allison.  He was not a kid friendly communicator. 

I think the Twins played there too? Maybe that had something to do with the configuration?

All I remember is that place was as "old school" as it got. Metal bleachers in January? Yup

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Honestly, the Vikings had two shitty stadiums: The Met and the Metrodome. Both obsolete the minute they opened their doors for football. And now you have U.S. Bank stadium, arguably a top 3 NFL stadium in the country. 
The Dump came in under budget. No AC at first. Not sure if I'll make it to the Bank in 21' but definitely will by 22'.

Met Stadium was designed for baseball.  On one side of the field the closest seats to the field were still hundreds of feet from the action.  To fit in a baseball stadium, the field was "cockeyed" to the stands.  Having players on the same sideline was one of many accommodations that had to be made to make it work.  While the tailgating was great, the mystique of the cold and the snow and the short sleeves and no heaters was legendary, otherwise the fan experience, honestly, sucked. 

My favorite was showing my son this.

Quote: @Purpleblooded said:
Met Stadium was designed for baseball.  On one side of the field the closest seats to the field were still hundreds of feet from the action.  To fit in a baseball stadium, the field was "cockeyed" to the stands.  Having players on the same sideline was one of many accommodations that had to be made to make it work.  While the tailgating was great, the mystique of the cold and the snow and the short sleeves and no heaters was legendary, otherwise the fan experience, honestly, sucked. 

Yep, basically they shoehorned a football field into a baseball stadium...! 

I loved the Met,  and honestly have a lot of great memories at the dome as well.  if it takes a billion dollar stadium to make it worth the effort to go... whats that saying about the product on the field?   i can get drunk and enjoy a game about any where.