Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft One Month from Today
And with that, another mock. Yeah, I'll take this...

[Image: c8rpls9mcyci.png]

Draft one month away and NFL.com STILL doesn't have this year's class up. You can find player profiles if you Google search player names and "NFL draft" but the site isn't fully functioning yet. There are sites that had profiles up in November. 

Another rant. How do a handful of amateur scouts over at Drafttek.com always put together a lightning fast and beautiful draft site and NFL.com, with endless resources and money, can't get their shit together? It's not just the draft stuff either. Stats, free agency, whatever - NFL.com is one of the most useless websites I've ever seen. 

I'd take this Draft and run. Its as good as I've seen for the team's needs.

Me too, but I just can't see a realistic way Sewell drops to 14.

Can always dream, it's like 11/26 before Xmas for NFL fans right now. 

OL in the first and second rounds would make me really happy. Do it, Rick! Also like the idea of getting a LB in the 3rd or 4th.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:

Maybe it's group think, but outside of Sewell, I've mocked each of these guys as well. I think at 14 we definitely go LT. I'd mail in the rest if we land Sewell. Tone setter. Then Meinerz? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Maybe it's group think, but outside of Sewell, I've mocked each of these guys as well. I think at 14 we definitely go LT. I'd mail in the rest if we land Sewell. Tone setter. Then Meinerz? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. 
I'm not 100% convinced they are locked in on an OT at #14. Sure if Slater or Sewell make it you pull the trigger. They will definitely draft O-line but if they walk in with something like: 

LT: O'Neill / Hill (Swing) 
LG: Cole / TBD FA / Hinton 
C: Bradbury 
RG: Cleveland  
RT: Udoh 

That really screams you take the best player in round 1 and then maneuver the board to add an OT (arguable the deepest position in this draft) and guard. 

EDIT: If they add another FA guard, which is a safe assumption, I do not think the line will be any worse than it was last season going into the draft. 

It's not likely Sewell drops to 14, but it seems to happen occasionally in these mocks when I crank up the "draft for needs" dial. And teams always draft for needs, despite all the talk of BPA. 

I've looked at needs for all teams in the top 13 and the team most like to take Sewell is the Chargers right before us at 13. If Sewell drops to 12, Vikings should trade up to get him. There are two or three teams in the top 12 who could take him as well, but a couple of them will be taking QBs (Panthers) and a couple of them just drafted left tackles (Cincy, Giants). And those WRs and CBs will be tempting too. So again, could happen, but unlikely.

It's even less likely Joe Tryon drops to late day two. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

I'm not 100% convinced they are locked in on an OT at #14. Sure if Slater or Sewell make it you pull the trigger. They will definitely draft O-line but if they walk in with something like: 

That really screams you take the best player in round 1 and then maneuver the board to add an OT (arguable the deepest position in this draft) and guard. 

EDIT: If they add another FA guard, which is a safe assumption, I do not think the line will be any worse than it was last season going into the draft. 
I'm not convinced of it either. Your above lineup is as likely as anything. I just don't know what they think of Udoh. I loved his college tape and his Senior Bowl and this will be his 3rd season. If he's truly a player then he should be ready to roll this year. We'll see I guess. 

The great thing about it though is that the best player available might just be a OT (Sewell, Slater) or a G (Slater, AVT). You could also make a similar argument that with Weatherly and Wonnum rotating, they might feel OK with what they have opposite Hunter. But again, BPA might just be an edge (Phillips, Oweh). 

They certainly won't be taking a DB. LB would be stupid. Can't see a QB. PItts maybe but only if they don't use him as a TE. So that leaves WR as the only remaining position possibility IMO. That's hard to see  though, considering the depth of this WR class and whoever it is would be WR3. Scary fun, but I question the wisdom. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

I'm not convinced of it either. Your above lineup is as likely as anything. I just don't know what they think of Udoh. I loved his college tape and his Senior Bowl and this will be his 3rd season. If he's truly a player then he should be ready to roll this year. We'll see I guess. 

The great thing about it though is that the best player available might just be a OT (Sewell, Slater) or a G (Slater, AVT). You could also make a similar argument that with Weatherly and Wonnum rotating, they might feel OK with what they have opposite Hunter. But again, BPA might just be an edge (Phillips, Oweh). 

They certainly won't be taking a DB. LB would be stupid. Can't see a QB. PItts maybe but only if they don't use him as a TE. So that leaves WR as the only remaining position possibility IMO. That's hard to see  though, considering the depth of this WR class and whoever it is would be WR3. Scary fun, but I question the wisdom. 
If Pitts made it to #14 I think they would run to the podium. Regardless of position he is a top 5 talent in the draft class. 

As crazy as it sounds I think they would consider Parsons if they are ok with his background (character). The idea of adding Tomlinson was to allow the LBs to play more coverage and work more near the line of scrimmage and you could effectively get out of using the nickel package with Barr/Kendricks/Parsons. I agree the value doesn't probably make sense but they could really create some crazy pressure package since Parsons is very good at getting after the QB. It also sets you up to move on from Barr next off-season. I would recommend moving up/down to avoid the situation but I do think they would go LB over a WR or Safety.