Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backup QB?
Do we resign Mannion or stick with Stanley or Browning? Do we sign a FA QB or draft a solid prospect? I know we would all like to have a little more confidence in our backup but Zim seems to prefer some game experience in our backup role. How confident are they in Stanley or Browning? I know...that's a lot of questions and I value your opinions (I think).

The notion that our qb2 needs to be that veteran eyes and ears in the qb room for Kirk is an asinine excuse for not having any real competition or developing player in that role.  If they really wanted a guy thats been around the block and seen a lot of shit,   the world is littered with failed veterans that could be brought in as coaches and not players taking up a roster spot,  especially a wasted game day active spot.

Of all the accolades that Kirk receives from his supporters,   I think my favorite has been his durability,   as bad as last year was imagine it with Mannion under center.

Nate Stanley is not an NFL QB. Sean Mannion is not an NFL QB. I am unsure on Browning, therefore I am quite receptive to guys like Sam Ehlinger in the 5th round

Good question. Vikings signed Mannion last year on March 18th. It's the 24th, so maybe they're going to wait this one out?

If I were going to bet on it, though, I would say they stick with Mannion. Vikings are putting together a Super Bowl roster. Will they want to trust the QB2 position to a rookie? No. Stanley or Browning? Not likely. And I don't see another veteran out there who can give us the continuity that Mannion does. What's more, with a new OC, his role as clipboard guy might be even more important. 

What about Alex Smith as a backup? He played respectably last year and is a smart QB. I'd rather go into a game with him at the helm over Mannion. However, if our OL isn't drastically improved, Smith would easily end his career here.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
The notion that our qb2 needs to be that veteran eyes and ears in the qb room for Kirk is an asinine excuse for not having any real competition or developing player in that role.  If they really wanted a guy thats been around the block and seen a lot of shit,   the world is littered with failed veterans that could be brought in as coaches and not players taking up a roster spot,  especially a wasted game day active spot.

Of all the accolades that Kirk receives from his supporters,   I think my favorite has been his durability,   as bad as last year was imagine it with Mannion under center.
I'm imagining Mannion under center last year & I'm seeing the team drafting high enough next month to draft one of the top 4 QBs.  =)

Honestly, for $2.5 million, I would have taken Trubisky over Mannion at $1.25 million.

Draft a guy with potential to be great, rather than a proven not-good-enough guy.  

I seem to remember talk that Mannion would be a good QB for training camp for the rookies.  Show them the tempo of pro ball, since TC was his major experience, let Kirk work with the offensive coordinator du jour..  

Don't need one with this regime. If something happened to Kirk they would trade 1st round picks for some other teams starter. They don't have anyone on the roster who can start in case of a Kirk injury, unless a higher draft pick is the desired outcome.