Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this the year to move up for a QB?
With FA still in progress we have made some moves that would seem to indicate Tackle at 14.  But let's project based on what we know right now.  Our Interior DL looks set so Barmore is probably out at 14.  Of course Hunter is back and let's say at around 100%.  That is 3 new players along the interior and we have a couple of guys that we can try on the other DE side.  But with Hunter on one side and 2 interior guys doesn't that make that other DE potentially better just by default (over last year)  maybe Woonum/Weatherly?

The addition of Vigil will probably be a very poor mans fill in for Wilson who we can't afford and wasn't the best tackler anyway.  But LB can be had later in the draft.

Secondary, obviously the addition of Peterson brings the experience at the very least.  But he might have a rebound and if he does he is a lockdown corner.  We do still have the offer of MAC coming back and I thought he was a damn good slot CB.  If this happens I don't see a falling CB at 14 at all.

So it all comes down to the OL at 14.  No Guard is 14 material.  Tons of potential Tackles but let's say both Sewell and Slater are gone before 14, do we want to look at some guys that might be late first or early second rounders like Tucker, Cosmi, Jenkins?  Most of the mocks I have done have Ben Cleveland (Georgia available at our 78 pick and many even at our 90th pick.  

Back to QB with that backgrounder:

IDK but as I have been saying for months - Carpe Diem - when is the last time we drafted as high as 14?  Waynes at 11, 6 years ago.

When is the last time their were potentially 6 first round QB's (1983 Marino class known as the QB class of all time) almost 40 years ago!!!

I keep eyeing up Zack Wilson (BYU) who many assume will go #2 to the Jets as of now.  But things change bigtime between now and the draft.  Their is a chance that he is available at 5 and Cinncy is not going to draft a QB.  Do we bust a move?  I would love that aggressiveness.  I use the Fudge and the Chiefs as examples of drafting QB's when they didn't "really" need one per se.  Rodgers fell into their laps but they had Brett friggin Favre.  KC moved up bigtime to get Mahomes, gave up a ton, and they had been consistently playoff/division winners with Alex Smith (before his knee).  Bold moves because it was Carpe Diem at the most important position in sports.  Is it risky?  Of course every draft pick is super risky but if you don't swing you won't hit the ball either.  

Lastly, I don't think Spelly and Zimmer are tied at the hip like many think.  I think Spelly can afford to think out of the box and also down the road.  I can see Spelly being GM without Zimmer as coach.  So if the above scenario presents itself what would you do?  I make the move obviously.  I guess ill throw a poll up.

Let's wait for this guy:
  • LSU freshman QB Max Johnson took first-team reps to start spring practice.Johnson (6'5/219) may have taken first-team reps to start out spring work on Tuesday, but Tigers HC Ed Orgeron said that the competition to start in 2021 was a wide-open one and that there is no frontrunner for the lead quarterback gig. This past season, Johnson threw for 1,069 yards (58.7 percent completions) with an 8/1 TD/INT ratio in five games (two starts). Included in those marks, a monster 435-yard passing, five-total-touchdown performance against Ole Miss in mid-December. In addition to Johnson, Myles Brennan (whose fall was cut short by an abdominal injury) and TJ Finley are the two other main names to watch as LSU looks to rebound from a disappointing 2020 season.
    SOURCE: ESPN.comMar 18, 2021, 1:09 PM ET

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Let's wait for this guy:
  • LSU freshman QB Max Johnson took first-team reps to start spring practice.Johnson (6'5/219) may have taken first-team reps to start out spring work on Tuesday, but Tigers HC Ed Orgeron said that the competition to start in 2021 was a wide-open one and that there is no frontrunner for the lead quarterback gig. This past season, Johnson threw for 1,069 yards (58.7 percent completions) with an 8/1 TD/INT ratio in five games (two starts). Included in those marks, a monster 435-yard passing, five-total-touchdown performance against Ole Miss in mid-December. In addition to Johnson, Myles Brennan (whose fall was cut short by an abdominal injury) and TJ Finley are the two other main names to watch as LSU looks to rebound from a disappointing 2020 season.
    SOURCE: ESPN.comMar 18, 2021, 1:09 PM ET
even if we make a move now we will likely still be in the market for a QB in 2 years when this kid declares so Yes to both.

Minny, you may be right that Spielman and Zimmer are not attached and that Spielman could remain GM without Zimmer. But even in that case, it's possible Spielman's fate is tied to Cousins' success, and that would have a bigger effect on whether they draft a QB to succeed Cousins.

No. Too expensive. The cost to move from 15 to 5 would strip us of all our picks in the 3rd and 4th round. Or next year's 1st and half of those picks. We already have a top third QB--top 5 in several key metrics, including 2nd highest passer rating from a clean pocket. Keep building the OL, give Kirk a clean pocket in '21 and I'll say it's more likely we extend him again than replace him. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
No. Too expensive. The cost to move from 15 to 5 would strip us of all our picks in the 3rd and 4th round. Or next year's 1st and half of those picks. We already have a top third QB--top 5 in several key metrics, including 2nd highest passer rating from a clean pocket. Keep building the OL, give Kirk a clean pocket in '21 and I'll say it's more likely we extend him again than replace him. 
It's just crazy to me. What's easier to fix,  the OL or finding a very good QB? 4th in yards, 11th in points with a sieve in the interior. 

We already have a top third QB--top 5 in several key metrics, including 2nd highest passer rating from a clean pocket.
Is this really a "key metric" though?
Yay, your Minnesota sports car drives great in perfect conditions with no one else on the road. How's it do in the snow?
For this season I agree the Vikings are probably best off sticking with Kirk at this point. But to not be trying to upgrade for the future at the most critical position in sports is negligent, in my opinion. This poll says move into the top 5-- ok fine don't do that. But what about 8? Or 10 if someone slips? Or *holy cow* 14? If that happens I hope the Vikings are prepared to make a big move.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:
We already have a top third QB--top 5 in several key metrics, including 2nd highest passer rating from a clean pocket.
Yay, your Minnesota sports car drives great in perfect conditions with no one else on the road. How's it do in the snow?
For this season I agree the Vikings are probably best off sticking with Kirk at this point. But to not be trying to upgrade for the future at the most critical position in sports is negligent, in my opinion. This poll says move into the top 5-- ok fine don't do that. But what about 8? Or 10 if someone slips? Or *holy cow* 14? If that happens I hope the Vikings are prepared to make a big move.
None of the above. I'm not, however, opposed to taking one in the middle rounds. "Developmental QB" is a myth IMO, but ya just might get lucky (Dak, Russ, Kirk). Worth a shot. I just want to add one more more piece to that line, then see how Kirk does in '21. If my hunch is correct, he'll have a great year. Elite level. And we'll probably extend him again. 

If he doesn't--if he's terrible or even just mediocre despite improving the line and all those unbelievable weapons at his disposal--then I release him at the end of the year. Dead money is tolerable. Then I go look for a bridge (a Teddy or a Dalton type) and draft the QBOTF in the '22 draft. 

@pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:
None of the above. I'm not, however, opposed to taking one in the middle rounds. "Developmental QB" is a myth IMO, but ya just might get lucky (Dak, Russ). Worth a shot. I just want to add one more more piece to that line, then see how Kirk does in '21. If my hunch is correct, he'll have a great year. Elite level. And we'll probably extend him again. 

If he doesn't--if he's terrible or even just mediocre despite improving the line and all those unbelievable weapons at his disposal--then I release him at the end of the year. Dead money is tolerable. Then I go look for a bridge (a Teddy or a Dalton type) and draft the QBOTF in the '22 draft.

Yeah. I guess my fear and my prediction is that he's neither elite nor mediocre next year. He'll still be him, which will still be good, and we still won't be any closer to the promised land. And round and round we'll go.
I much prefer your scenario where we finally give him a good OL, and he finally gives Vikings fans the QB play we've dreamt of. Time will tell. Appreciate your input.