Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supafreak84's Updated Mock Draft
After further evaluating some players and free agency situations, I could see the Vikings going in this direction.  Before I start I want to preface that I think we get Riley Reiff signed to an extension and I think our "big splash" in free agency is going to be Geno Atkins, who Mike Zimmer uses as the standard bearer for what he wants in a 3 technique playing in his defensive system.  Geno is a little older (33) but still has a couple productive years left in the tank even if that's in a part time basis.

Draft:

1. Greg Rousseau, DE Miami- To me this pick comes down to 3 players; Barmore, Rousseau, or Jaelen Phillips.  I think you can play Rousseau all over the defensive line and he can be productive. The guy has tree limbs for arms and routinely tracks down the football with his length.  Fit's the Zimmer profile of the "big athlete."  Has real deceptive power in his hands and will push the pocket but needs to improve his pass rush arsenal.  I think this pick would be Jaelen Phillips if not for the medical concerns. 

ACC’s Breakout STAR

3. Hamsah Nasirildeen, S Florida State- Rangy, long (6'4"/220) hard hitting safety. Tore his ACL in 2019 and spent all last year recovering outside of three quarters of football.  Has a lot of young George Iloka to him who Mike Zimmer loved in Cincy.  Physical and finds his way through the trash to make tackles.  Size allows him to match up against big TE's in coverage.  Ant Harris wont be back and this kid will come in and start right away. 

Florida State Safety Hamsah Nasirildeen Highlights

3. Robert Hainsey, T/G Notre Dame-  Well schooled three year starter for Notre Dame at right tackle.  Size limitations will probably kick him inside to guard at the pro level where he should excel, but does have the flexibility. 

4. Spencer Brown, OT Northern Iowa-  This guy really caught my eye at the Senior Bowl. 6'9"/320 with long arms.  Keeps his pad level low despite his height and looks like a poor man's Mike McGlinchy coming out of college.  The Vikings need tackle depth and this kid could be groomed as the heir apparent to Riley Reiff when he moves on. 

4.  Tommy Tremble, TE Notre Dame-  He is just too good of a fit for everything the Vikings do on offense.  Best blocking TE in this draft and is deceptive in the passing game.  Would be a great addition after the Vikings cut Kyle Rudolph.

4. Benjamin St Juste, CB Minnesota-  Long, lean cornerback.  Very similar physically to Cam Dantzler.  Local product who the Vikings will have scouted very well.  Can match up on the outside 

5. Kendrick Green, G/C Illinois-  I like this kid and the power he plays with.  Versatile and just a great scheme fit for zone blocking.  Get's to the second level and finishes.  The Vikings need to add as much talent and competition to the interior offensive line as possible until they get it right.

5.  Sam Ehlinger, QB Texas-  The more I watch Ehlinger the more I like him.  Tough, competitive leader who started a ton of games at Texas and put up great numbers.  Throws with accuracy and is shifty enough to make plays when things break down in front of him.  The Vikings need a developmental QB and an upgrade at the backup QB position. 

6. Max Duffy, P Kentucky- The Vikings are going to have a major shift in their special teams unit this offseason.  Duffy is thought of as the best punter in this draft.  Australian former rugby player

7.  Cornell Powell, WR Clemson-  Not fast, but uses his body well to shield defenders and make tough catches.  

I think you can play Rousseau anywhere in the front 7 if you want. 

Yeah the rest of my draft got deleted for whatever reason and I'm too lazy to re write everything. But yeah, I think Rousseau offers a lot of line flexibility and he's still a young pup learning

Control X?

I love his ceiling. He's just scratching the surface. His body isn't mature yet. Love him as base LDE and 3T in passing downs. 

Ok, you're two for two now.

Alright its fixed

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
I love his ceiling. He's just scratching the surface. His body isn't mature yet. Love him as base LDE and 3T in passing downs. 

I like what you can do with Hunter, Rousseau, and Wonnum on the field as your 3rd down rush package.  That's a lot of length and getting after the QB

Hainsey is another favorite. If I built a "my guys" list, he's on it.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Hainsey is another favorite. If I built a "my guys" list, he's on it.
He is a really good player.  The more I look at the draft board I think there are some quality interior lineman to be had in that 3rd to 5th round range and Hainsey is one of my favorites out of that group. It's why I say I'd be shocked if our first pick isn't one of Rousseau, Barmore, or Phillips