Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teddy Bridgewater
The 49ers have reached out to the Panthers about a potential trade for Teddy Bridgewater. The Niners' interest in Bridgewater doesn't necessarily mean they're keen on replacing Jimmy Garoppolo as the team's starter. 49ers general manager John Lynch has said the team needs to upgrade its backup QBs as to avoid a lost season if or when the oft-injured Jimmy G is sidelined. Carolina is among the leaders in the Deshaun Watson sweepstakes, making Bridgewater expendable if a team has a solid offer for the veteran. There's almost no chance Bridgewater starts for Carolina in 2021. 
RELATED: 
SOURCE: The Athletic

I think he'd make a good backup. 

Would love to have him as our backup.  Except for the likelihood that fans would be calling for him to start after Kirk's first fumble or loss.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
Would love to have him as our backup.  Except for the likelihood that fans would be calling for him to start after Kirk's first fumble or loss.
I feel like the Vikings since Childress have been scared to death of this scenario (fans booing the starter and calling for the backup to start). Whatever the reason, they want one, and only one, undisputed QB on the roster. 

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"greediron" said:
I feel like the Vikings since Childress have been scared to death of this scenario (fans booing the starter and calling for the backup to start). Whatever the reason, they want one, and only one, undisputed QB on the roster. 
Isn't that what every team wants? 

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"greediron" said:
It kind of seems to be a Spielman theory anyway.  

Sounds like they are getting together a package for Cousins  =)

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"greediron" said:
A non-competitive backup so the starter doesn't feel pressured?

There is nothing wrong with having a good backup to put pressure on the starting QB to be better. There is something wrong with having a backup that was a first round pick by your franchise and was/is beloved by the fan base, thus creating unnecessary tension and pressure on the situation. Teddy coming to Minnesota is a bad idea

Quote: @"medaille" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"greediron" said:
A non-competitive backup so the starter doesn't feel pressured?
Yes. Teams don't go out and try to find bad backups. But every team in the NFL would prefer a QB situation where the starter plays so well his position as starting QB is unquestioned. That's what everybody wants. Situations like Chicago or Washington or Jacksonville are what teams try to avoid, not pursue.