Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Up On The QB Carousel
Sam Darnold could be available for a team's second round pick. The Jets are widely expected to use the No. 2 pick in the NFL Draft on Justin Fields or Zach Wilson, making Darnold expendable after Adam Gase nearly destroyed his career. League sources told SportsNet New York's Ralph Vacchiano that the Eagles trading Carson Wentz to the Colts for a third rounder and a conditional second rounder wouldn't change the Jets' asking price for Darnold. Vacchiano reports the Jets' asking price for their QB "has long been projected to be a second-round pick, plus maybe another mid-to-late rounder." Incredibly just 23 years old, Darnold could be an enticing target for a QB-needy team like Washington, who is reportedly interested in dealing for Darnold. It would be stunning if a team -- Washington or otherwise -- offered anything more than a second round pick for Darnold. 
RELATED: 
SOURCE: SNY.tv

He's worth our current two.

Keep in mind the Vikings gave up a 5th round pick for K Kaare Vedvik. 

Darnold is the NFL version of the typical NBA draftee who is not ready to compete at the next level and suffers for it.  He was a redshirt freshman in college so was eligible after his sophomore year, but while you could see he had the physical tools at USC to play in the NFL, his game was no where ready.  I think if he had stayed in school at least one more year, his NFL career would have been much different at this point.  Consequently, I think it is hard to say where how he may develop or where his ceiling may be, but I think he is definitely worth a shot with a 2nd round pick (kind of like the one we threw away!).  

Also....he got drafted by the Jets. That's usually a death sentence for most players.

I would be willing to start talking to the Jets to find out exactly how set on that 2nd they are and see if we could offer a 3rd and a 5th?   or see if the jets would take our first and a 4th or 5th,  for their second and Darnold?

I am not super jacked on him,  but in the absence of getting a shot at one to the tops in this years draft I think he would be a good mentor behind Cousins and a decent option if Cousins were to get traded, or get hurt or something.

I hate to give up that #14 pick,  but since Ive been told by some that we arent likely to get a stud there anyway,  might as well trade down and get an upgrade to our back up QB with some potential for the future... draw back is he in on the last year of his deal so he would be needing a new contract next year when Cousins deal is set to crank up to top tier money.

I feel like getting drafted by the Jets was like what happened to Markelle Fultz getting drafted by the 76ers in the sense that things go so bad because of the poorly ran franchise (at that time as the 76ers are better now) that you forget a lot of things that you once knew how to do. Fultz legit could not shoot a basketball and I feel like Darnold cant complete easy passes anymore because the Jets ruined him.

I feel bad for him because I thought he was a good prospect, but man, everyone now says he's just awful.

I really soured on Darnold his last year at USC when he became Human Turnover. Fumbles and ints galore. Plus, the ghost thing. About a third and a fifth next year is as high as I'd go, and even that seems too steep once typed into existence.

[Image: bndoz4y5u04q.jpeg]

Perhaps a team can “de-Gase” him,
like a younger Tannehill...! 
Wink