Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did your neighborhood vote?
I found this very interesting. You can dial it in to your address or zip code and see how your neighborhood voted and how that changed from 2016. It's NYT, but doesn't appear to be behind their paywall. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021...IeY8yt3_Sg

That's cool, can really see the divide rural to urban 

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
That's cool, can really see the divide rural to urban 
That was my first take, too. I mean, we all knew that already but when you zoom in on cities in deep red areas like Atlanta, Dallas and Houston--even Wichita, Lincoln, Fargo and Salt Lake City--you really begin to understand just how pronounced the rural/urban divide is in this country. 

interesting....our little corner of paradise, quite the opposite of the entire state.

weird

Apparently not detailed enough, doesn't include my town 60,000 citizens.  But then it's always solid red so no real need to check a map from a NY paper. 

Very cool..

And wow! In MN the rural vs suburbs & urban split is crazy...

The range and those rural areas used to be strong Dem territory too. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Very cool..

I mean when your Govenor says stuff like this:

“You see those maps,” Walz said at a candidate roundtable on comedy show T2P2 early in his campaign for governor. “Red and blue and there’s all that red across there. And Democrats go into a depression over it. It’s mostly rocks and cows that are in that red area.”

Can you really blame rural people for feeling....a little different?

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@purplefaithful said:
Very cool..

“You see those maps,” Walz said at a candidate roundtable on comedy show T2P2 early in his campaign for governor. “Red and blue and there’s all that red across there. And Democrats go into a depression over it. It’s mostly rocks and cows that are in that red area.”

He might have worded that a little differently. But he's not really wrong. Where there are people there is blue. And by a large margin. 

Personally, I think it's less about population and more about business. Where there is business, people vote blue. And where there are small towns and farms, people vote red. 

Don't really know why that is. If anything you'd think it would be the opposite. 

As an old market researcher, I say what a great data set to analyze. That map is a great illustration of the challenges both team blue and red have going forward...

Dem's need to regain their relevance, historical stronghold in rural areas and manage the battle internally between moderates vs the more fringe party elements. Sanders, AOC etc is exactly who I'm talking about (yah, get off my lawn, I know) 

Team red has deeper issues, biggest since Reagan and maybe ever.

My old party of Lincoln has to find their spiritual center again.  They lost the suburbs because Trump pissed off, scared the hell out of people or both over the years. 

Their appeal among a growing demographic of people of color is mediocre on a good day. And more liberal elements of the population are moving south to the bible belt and west to states beyond CA. 

GA and AZ are prime examples...Red states are now purple (and blue in big counties there). 

How much sway and share of voice Trump has? For how long? Will really shape that party heading into 22/24. Is Howell, MGT, Trump, Cruz etc going to be the spiritual center for team red???  Do they really want My Pillow Guy being a mouthpiece?

Or will a more moderate element of that party emerge? 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@AGRforever said:
@purplefaithful said:
Very cool..

He might have worded that a little differently. But he's not really wrong. Where there are people there is blue. And by a large margin. 

Personally, I think it's less about population and more about business. Where there is business, people vote blue. And where there are small towns and farms, people vote red. 

Don't really know why that is. If anything you'd think it would be the opposite. 

My take has always been, where there is urban need for social programs you find blue.  Blue gives its money to its voters and Red gives its money to its voters.  Comparing all the people that are in those red towns to cows and rocks is disrespectful (coming from a farm guy).  If it wasn't for the Twin cities metro area MN would be +20% red as would most places in the country. 

On your business idea, it would be interesting to see the % of employers/employees in red vs blue areas?  Are there more small business per capita in either?  Larger ones? etc.  I think you'd need to know that to draw any conclusions about which side business owners vs employees are voting for? 

Or is it flat out per capita church attendance?