Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
49er's pushing hard to trade for Kirk Cousins
https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikin...fford-nfl/

“#49ers still looking to make a move at QB. Kirk Cousins, I’m told, is a name to keep an eye on,” Massey said. “If #Vikings are open to dealing, San Francisco will push hard to acquire him. Ties with [coach Kyle Shanahan] make this an intriguing potential fit.”

2021 first round pick and Kinlaw

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
You'd need Jimmy G too in order to make the cap work. Or at least Mullens to have a serviceable QB.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
You'd need Jimmy G too in order to make the cap work. Or at least Mullens to have a serviceable QB.
the niners will send Jimmy to the Pats for their 1st round pick,  then send us that pick (among other things,  you know Spielaman will get a 6th or 7th rounder thrown in) for Cousins.  We then go after Fitz to be a bridge QB for what will likely end up being QB3 off the board, who we will have to move up to get and it will likely cost us 14 and 15.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
the niners will send Jimmy to the Pats for their 1st round pick,  then send us that pick (among other things,  you know Spielaman will get a 6th or 7th rounder thrown in) for Cousins.  We then go after Fitz to be a bridge QB for what will likely end up being QB3 off the board, who we will have to move up to get and it will likely cost us 14 and 15.
I was actually thinking Jimmy to Pats haha. I'm not really in favor of getting rid of Cousins like everyone else as our OL is poopy and whether our QB is Kirk, Deshaun, or a rookie, they are still going to be sacked quite a bit. That being said, if we could find a way to make it work where we get Kinlaw too and have two top 15 picks this year then I am much more open to the idea.

I’m all for getting a young, cost-controlled QB to replace Cousins. Been saying it for over a year. Unfortunately this deal isn’t that. 

Even if they offered Jimmy G + 12th pick (which I DON’T think they would do), I’m not sure it helps the Vikings much, unless we had other moves planned to use the 12 and 14 picks to move up and get one of the top QBs. But let’s say we don’t have follow up moves and this trade would be it.

We get Jimmy G + a 3T at 12 + a DE at 14. Dline gets better fast, but QB gets worse and a LOT riskier with Glass Jimmy back there. How many more games does that win us next year? And that’s BEST case where they offer a first.

To me this move helps SF, but I’m not sure how much it helps us. Feels like a bandaid when either no move, or a huge move, are better options.

From above article:

Shanahan, who was the offensive coordinator in Washington with Cousins in 2012 and 2013, admitted he didn’t evaluate the 2017 quarterback draft class with Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson as thoroughly as he should, given he knew Cousins would be available the next season.
“I felt very confident that [Cousins] wasn’t going to stay [in Washington],” Shanahan said last month. When you go into a season knowing that a franchise quarterback is going to be available the next year, it made me a lot more picky with what we were looking at.”
That decision doesn’t change how Shanahan feels now, especially after Cousins — playing in the outside-zone running scheme that Shanahan’s father and Gary Kubiak innovated — has thrived, putting up career-best numbers the past two years after Minnesota outbid the 49ers for the veteran QB in 2018.

This is all extremely unlikely to happen, but you can link Shanny to Kirk since their Washington days...if someone willing to overpay, why not?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
You beat me to it. Only way this deal makes sense IMO is if the Vikings can leverage it to get a QB in this years draft.

If some variation of the trade were to happen, I doubt we'd have enough capital to move up for the top 3 unless a future 1 is included or something like that. I also doubt we'd stick with Garoppolo, as some have mentioned. 

Which begs the question...what do you do then?