Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reese's Senior Bowl QB Watch List
I've mentioned here before how much I like this quarterback draft class,.. but late round sleeper Feleipe Franks might be a good developmental prospect to groom behind Kirk Cousins.  

http://vikefans.com/qb-sleeper-feleipe-f...wl-invite/

Big kid, big arm and some mobility. Interesting prospect. Seems like he's got NFL upside also. Talented kid, highly sought after prospect coming out of high school.

Next Saturday's Senior Bowl won't give the Vikings much to look at regarding pick 14, but at pick 79, edge rushers Patrick Jones, Rashad Weaver and Quincy Roche might be guys to keep an eye on who could drop to the Vikings.

Along with Franks, Kyle Trask, Jamie Newman, Kellen Mond, Sam Ehlinger and Ian Book are the other day two and three quarterbacks playing in the Senior Bowl.

DT Christian Barmore at pick 14 and Rashard Weaver with the second pick would turn the Vikings defense around in a hurry.

If the Vikings don't draft a QB early, they'll probably add one late. Mannion probably won't be back and I'm not sure if Browning can be a #2. I keep thinking they gave him the highest signing bonus in the NFL among UDFA's that year, so there must be something there they like. 

Been watching a lot of the mid to late round guys. Franks, Mond, Newman, Beuchele, Crum, Book. Not sure what to think of any of them yet. But most of these guys will be playing in the Senior Bowl, so we'll get a better idea then. 

I have a feeling, as the most talented guy there, Mac Jones is going to light it up and move up draft boards. 

@MaroonBells: I missed the fact that Mac Jones was a late add on to the Senior Bowl. Thanks. Yes, I think Mac Jones should look like the best of Senior Bowl QBs... does he warrant the Vikings 14 pick? If he is actually 6-3 and wows in Mobile, I might change my mind on that.

Quote: @"Carl Knowles" said:
@MaroonBells: I missed the fact that Mac Jones was a late add on to the Senior Bowl. Thanks. Yes, I think Mac Jones should look like the best of Senior Bowl QBs... does he warrant the Vikings 14 pick? If he is actually 6-3 and wows in Mobile, I might change my mind on that.
Questions on Mac Jones: what's his mobility like? Arm strength?

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"Carl Knowles" said:

His arm is fine, but he's not a runner. He's not the kind of dual threat QB everyone seems to want now. That said, the thing that stands out to me is maneuverability and poise in the pocket. When his protection breaks down, he doesn't look at it. He keeps his eyes downfield. He's patient and doesn't panic. IMHO, that quality, maybe more than any other, bodes well for the NFL.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"Carl Knowles" said:

Those are goods questions scouts and front offices are trying to figure out. Pertaining to the Vikings, I just don't think he represents a noticeable upgrade over Kirk Cousins. And, with the 14th pick the Vikings are in the market to make an serious upgrade to their current roster. I could be wrong, but I think right now I'm sold on Christian Barmore at 14. 

@"StickyBun" said:
@"Carl Knowles" said:

Those are goods questions scouts and front offices are trying to figure out. Pertaining to the Vikings, I just don't think he represents a noticeable upgrade over Kirk Cousins. And, with the 14th pick the Vikings are in the market to make an serious upgrade to their current roster. I could be wrong, but I think right now I'm sold on Christian Barmore at 14. 
Oh I agree with you Carl: I don't want Mac Jones. 

@"StickyBun" said:
@"Carl Knowles" said:

Well that's the million dollar question. Who is an upgrade over Cousins? And is that our biggest concern? Lawrence and Wilson look like they might be, but neither is available without a Ricky Williams like trade up. The rest have serious questions.

Cousins was horrible early on in the year, but he was able to figure out whatever wasn't working and for the last 10 weeks, he was one of the best QBs in the NFL. 

Another thing is that he's only 32. 5 years younger than Aaron Rodgers, 10 years younger than Drew Brees, 11 years younger than Tom Brady. And like QBs who play a long time (Favre, Brady), he's been incredibly durable. While it would not surprise me to see him play another 6 to 8 years, he's easily got another 3 or 4.