Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urban Meyer "this close" to becoming Jags HC
Urban Meyer in advanced talks with Jaguars to become head coachThe Jacksonville Jaguars are in advanced talks with Urban Meyer to make him their head coach and a deal could be reached by Friday, a person with knowledge of the situation told the Florida Times-Union on Thursday morning. The person requested anonymity because the deal has not been finalized.

If a deal is not reached within the next 30 hours, the Jaguars could wait until late next week after this Monday's Martin Luther King Day holiday and Wednesday's presidential inauguration before finalizing an agreement with Meyer.
From the start, Meyer has been the Jaguars' top target to replace Doug Marrone, who was fired on Jan. 4 after finishing with a franchise-worst 1-15 record and losing 21 of his last 24 games.
Meyer is only focused on the Jaguars' job, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed. However, the Los Angeles Times reported Wednesday that Meyer talked with the Los Angeles Chargers about their vacant head coaching job.  

The Jaguars' head coaching vacancy is considered an attractive job, especially with the franchise having locked up the No. 1 overall pick to select Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence. The Jaguars also have more than $90 million in available cap space for free agency.
In 17 seasons, Meyer has never had a losing season, including his first two years as head coach at Bowling Green where he went 8-3 and 9-3. At Florida, Meyer won national championships in 2006 and 2008 and went 65-15 in six seasons. Meyer coached Ohio State from 2012-18, winning the College Football Championship at the conclusion of the 2014 season.
Jaguars owner Shahid Khan is seeking a proven coach to turn around his franchise that's had 11 losing seasons in 13 years.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf...157120001/

Shades of when the Cowboys got Jimmy Johnson, right down to having the #1 pick to grab a QB...OR just another college guy who can't make the jump?

To me, I seriously doubt he makes it passed year 3 of whatever deal he signs.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Shades of when the Cowboys got Jimmy Johnson, right down to having the #1 pick to grab a QB...OR just another college guy who can't make the jump?

I think it's time for NFL decision makers to throw "college success" for coaches onto the pile of way overrated qualities along with "40 time" for receivers.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:

By the time the Jaguars figure out which coach they got he'll still have pocketed 10s of million.  I'm sure he wont really care to strongly. 

His success depends on what type of team he will be given. We know he will get Trevor Lawrence which is why he is going there (Maybe Khan's daughter), but to be successful, who else do they draft and what free agents are they able to sign. Some times good coaches cant do anything with a shit roster (Bill in Cleveland and Andy Reid his last couple of years in Philly) so time will tell.

There's definitely some pieces in Duuuuuuuuuval county to play with. I'd try to snag Kafka from the Chiefs as OC/QB coach. They can add a bunch of talent via,the draft and FA. Just got to make sure Kahn gets put in his place.

He wants to work for Shad Khan?  That shows bad judgement right there.

I still wish we had him. I know many have given reasons why it would not be good fit but ill be watching. I hope I don't get to say "we should have hired him".

Quote: @comet52 said:
He wants to work for Shad Khan?  That shows bad judgement right there.
He wants to bring in Linehan. Soooooo, that bad judgement thing seems to ring true...

The Jags get more national headlines in 24 hours than in the last 3 years, Urban gets a truckload of $$$ and a #1 pick QB falling in his lap.  And apparently the 2021 season ticket deposits started rolling in before the hire was even official.  Meyer earning his contract before signing it.

Cowherd made an interesting point about Meyer treating coaching jobs like a stockbroker: he buys low and never takes a job where he might do worse than his predecessor. Bowling Green was at 2 wins... Urban couldn't go down. Utah had a good program where an old coach slumped and resigned.  Urban swoops in, 10-win  season followed by 12-0.  Florida had 6 SEC titles and a national under Spurrier, but Ron Zook couldn't translate the recruits into wins. Enter Urban and 2 national titles... until watching his post-Tebow QB gave him "heart problems". So on to OSU who had just slid to 6-7, Meyer goes 12-0 while on probation, then 5 BIG titles and a national until the scandal over his assistant coach. 

Jacksonville is the ultimate penny stock: can't get worse than 1-15 and in a division where nobody is really a long-term playoff fixture. If Lawrence hits, they can climb a lot of rungs in a hurry.