Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for Geoff Nichols
If Vikings can’t agree on a new contract for Danielle Hunter, what do you think is likely draft pick compensation?

There are a lot of external factors at play, mainly Danielle's health. If he is proven healthy then you need to ask how many teams need an elite pass rusher and then how many teams have the cap flexibility to add Danielle and extend him on a contract that averages $20+M per year in a season where the cap is dropping considerably.

Basically, the list of teams who would want to add Danielle is long, but the teams who can actually pull it off is much shorter. 

I think you could make serious cases for the Browns, Bengals, Dolphins, and Giants. Those teams have the cap space to at least make a legitimate run.

My guess is the Vikings would ask for what the Raiders got for Khalil Mack. That was 2019/2020 1st round selections, a 2020 3rd, and a 2019 6th. The Raiders also sent back a 2020 2nd and conditional 2020 5th. Try simplifying the back & forth and future pick values and the Raiders effectives got the equivalent of two 1st round picks both valued slightly outside the top 10. Another extrapolation would be to say they got a top 10 pick and future mid-round selection. 

Assuming in reality the Vikings would get a little less than that in actuality the Browns/Giants would likely need to give up their 2020 1st, swap a 2020 2nd for one of the Vikings 3rds, and also include a 2021 2nd round pick. 

Personally I don't think either the Bengals or Dolphins would give up their top 5 selections. You could maybe look into swapping #14 to get into the top 5 but time will tell if a target actually makes sense that way. Typically teams want the pick straight up. So that would leave Miami as a viable contender. You could probably ask them for #18 and #50 straight up. Its a lot but its actually something they could swallow with all of their draft capital. 

Forgot to mention somewhere in that I fully believe Danielle will be back next season. We will see if that is on a new deal or not. The Vikings have a good case for letting him play this season to ensure he's healthy. But in reality there is probably a compromise to be had where they tack on additional years at the new $20M price tag with guarantees. They can do that and manipulate the cap enough to actually keep his cap hit the same or even decrease is a good bit.  By the time the new added years roll around he'll still be on a relatively modest contract for edge rushers and his guarantees will be up anyways. 

It is not "good business" for either side to renegotiate a contract so soon but the Vikings have a little precedence doing it with Thielen. That worked out well for both sides.