Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maaloff Axed
What took so long?

what?  really?  I figured he would be given the asst HC title and maybe game day play caller for the O.

But Zimmer also mentions an interesting thing about special teams:

"We obviously didn't play very well," Zimmer said Tuesday. "A lot of those guys that probably should've been playing on special teams were playing on defense, but we're going to shore up that area and it'll be a major emphasis as well."

Basically, Maalouf was playing with guys on special teams that were probably even a step below what you'd normally have. Unfair, but there's got to be scapegoats in the NFL. These coaches know how the game is played. Bailey's struggles didn't help. 

but not a word was spoken on the kicker who has lost his way,  thats not on Malouf,  thats on Bailey not being able to clear the mechanism and just put his head down and kick the ball.    he needs a shrink more than a coach in his ear.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
But Zimmer also mentions an interesting thing about special teams:

"We obviously didn't play very well," Zimmer said Tuesday. "A lot of those guys that probably should've been playing on special teams were playing on defense, but we're going to shore up that area and it'll be a major emphasis as well."

Basically, Maalouf was playing with guys on special teams that were probably even a step below what you'd normally have. Unfair, but there's got to be scapegoats in the NFL. These coaches know how the game is played. Bailey's struggles didn't help. 
I do agree that the depth they would normally have on special teams was not there. However, both Bailey and Cutting imploded during the season. They at least tried to stabilize things by bringing in DePaola, who was better but it felt like the kicking game never got right. They only had 16-return yards deep into the season. It got a little better later, but I wonder about passing on Donovan Peoples-Jones for KJ Osborn. I also haven't been sold on Britton Colquitt, but bad coverage could make him seem worse than he is. I think that bringing in a new Special Teams coach is warranted, but injuries and a young roster made things worse.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
but not a word was spoken on the kicker who has lost his way,  thats not on Malouf,  thats on Bailey not being able to clear the mechanism and just put his head down and kick the ball.    he needs a shrink more than a coach in his ear.
Bailey will be soon, dont you worry. This happened because of the several mishaps every time. Constant return holding calls, guys not understanding awareness and being unable to down the ball at the 1 instead of having their feet touch the endzone. The special teams this year was such a joke

So can we fire Zim (and even Rick) for fielding players on defense that should have been playing special teams?
The lack of talent excuse on special teams did not prevent him/them from firing Maalouf.
Last I checked Rick and Zim are responsible for who makes the team.

Quote: @mblack said:
So can we fire Zim (and even Rick) for fielding players on defense that should have been playing special teams?
The lack of talent excuse on special teams did not prevent him/them from firing Maalouf.
which goes back to having to much money tied up in contracts with players that arent worth it,  IE Barr, Rudolph, and a few others whos play isnt that much better than somebody who makes half as much.  you cant have all you eggs in a few players and nothing left for those that start around them or even those that play in reserve of those starters.

Harry took a big step back this year,   I wonder how much is age and how much of that is just being worn down from a year of trying to be everywhere and do everything?  His tackling at the end of the season was just about as bad as Harris's.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@mblack said:
which goes back to having to much money tied up in contracts with players that arent worth it,  IE Barr, Rudolph, and a few others whos play isnt that much better than somebody who makes half as much.  you cant have all you eggs in a few players and nothing left for those that start around them or even those that play in reserve of those starters.

Harry took a big step back this year,   I wonder how much is age and how much of that is just being worn down from a year of trying to be everywhere and do everything?  His tackling at the end of the season was just about as bad as Harris's.
Totally agree. And again who awarded these guys the large contracts? Rick and Zim.
Every reason that is given here(I am not saying its you) as to why we struggled this season points to poor talent evaluation and decision making by Zim and Rick.
I am so fed up with these two. 
At this point here is where we are
1.  No future at QB (unless you wanna keep handicapping the team with more money to Cousins as unsustainable as that is. Why dont we have a young QB that can at least compete or to groom?)
2. OL line is still a work in progress three years in and we are not sure if we even have the right pieces.
3. No real solutions in the secondary in terms of safety and depth (even though we have spent many draft picks and A LOT of money there)
4. The DL needs complete rebuilding
5. Potentially a new OC needed (that would be OC #6). At some point you may want to figure out why you have a new OC every year). Are we hiring the wrong ones?
7. Non existent special teams (kicker, punter and returners all needed)
8. Bad salary cap situation
Above all, the team is not trending the right direction (missed the play offs this year, for the past seven years the team has been alternating play off appearances, cant win more than one play off game)

Please tell me what on this list makes anyone optimistic about the current regime?

Our Special Teams were horrible all year. Wish that coach the best going forward but yeah, had to go.
Glad Zim recognized it.