Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we gotta wear shades for 2021??
In nearly every discussion I have seen about evaluating this season, Zimmer, Spielman, and their results to date, eventually someone mentions that 2021 will be so much better, or that we have great young players getting so much development this year that will pay off next year. Even I have said Zimmer's every-other-year cycle usually means marginal improvement thanks to the weaker schedule we usually play after a losing season. But...is there really so much reason for optimism?

Young Players:
  • Jefferson: Awesome player, I expect he will refine his skills and continue to improve. But how much more production can we expect over his +1267 yards? The only receiver to significantly exceed that was Thielen in 2018 and only by about a hundred yards. In the offensive philosophy Zimmer desires, can JJ expect to produce 25% more (1600 yard season) next year and carry us to more wins than he did this year?
  • Gladney and Dantzler: Definitely room for improvement, but like Jefferson, they might already be near what we can best expect. Haven't both been grading very highly during our last few losses? It's great we may have improved at CB but our defense has issues they cannot solve alone.
  • Cleveland: Nice to see another decent addition to the OL. By my count we may have as many as 3 spots covered...is that enough?
  • Wonnum: Some people are very high on him so this is an area of debate. I think he's about the level of Odenigbo - play him part-time and results will be pretty good, but I don't think we have another Danielle Hunter in him.
  • Troy Dye: Best I could say is he remains unproven.
  • Irv Smith: He is exciting when he gets targeted. I hope they use him more, but we are supposed to be run-oriented and already have 2 great WRs, so...again, I think he can improve but I don't know how much he will get to juice our offense.
  • Dru Samia, Jaleel Johnson, Jalyn Holmes, James Lynch, Armon Watts, Hercules Matafa... Personally I would give up on all but Lynch.
Other Factors:
  • The schedule: Yes, it usually is easier after a losing season, and that's when Zimmer gets victories. But next year we have the AFC Central, with 3 strong teams, and the NFC West which has a wealth of good teams. Not a cakewalk.
  • Cap space: We're projected to be $5M over the cap. I know it will change, but not a good starting point.
  • Riley Reiff: He'll have a $14M cap hit next year. Think he's sticking around again? Only if he takes another pay cut restructure.
  • Ant Harris: UFA again, though probably not as attractive as he was last year.
  • Eric Wilson: UFA and other teams will come calling, regardless of the lower salary cap.
  • Michael Pierce: A year off football, not known for great offseason conditioning. 
  • Mike Hughes: Might be done with football, and Zimmer needs at least 4 good CBs to be happy.
  • Danielle Hunter: Fingers crossed.
  • Special Teams: The entire unit, coach included, will likely be flushed. But where do they find better?
I guess I should have titled this, "Today's downer from Johnny Raincloud", but what am I missing?

Find a 3T and a LG, and we are in the playoffs. We are down 10 pressures a game. Run D was bad. A healthy Hunter and Pierce immediately upgrade the D. The young CBs performed amazingly when you consider everything that happened this season. 

We can and did play with nearly anyone this year. The packers sole home loss, that was us. It was going to be a rebuild/reload when we had Hunter and Pierce available. We are closer to the playoffs than a rebuild.

Good rational post.  I agree there’s very little to get excited about.  The defense is a total mess, and I doubt one off season will fix it.  The OL is still bad for some reason.  Is it as simple as getting a new LG to finally get the protection KC needs to be a top tier QB?  Somehow I doubt that too.

I love the Vikes as much as anyone, but I think we’re at least 2 seasons or more from being a playoff team again.  Skol. :'(

Oh man, I think 2021 has so much potential...Seriously.

Going into the season, I really thought this was more of a playoff team than anything close to a rebuild, but after watching another year of not only mediocre football, but also totally uninspired, lethargic, going through the motions football, I think this team needs a complete rebuild.  Something has to be done to change the culture of this franchise and bring some kind of energy and passion to this team that has been missing an identify and spirit for years. Really tired of watching a team that doesn't seem to really care to be there.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Oh man, I think 2021 has so much potential...Seriously.
I do as well. Just look at the close games Minnesota lost this year. But we have another offseason of potential veteran salary cuts so that may impact things. 

8-8.  Owner gives annual "this is our year" interview in August, 3/4 of fanbase gobbles it up only to have reality whack them hard in the face come winter.  Rinse repeat.  Just a matter of timing the next round of extensions for Rick/Zim/Kirk as the mediocrity continues in perpetuity.

[Image: 7coa04zcgd12.jpg]

We'll need at least another Safety, and starting LB. I'm not in the Pierce camp as he wasn't a priority for Baltimore, and not sure he's a full time DT for us. That said, we're still looking for a stud  who can push the middle. It's been mentioned, but who knows what the future is for Hunter, and who fills the void on the ends? Defense might be a rebuild around Kendricks and a couple of young corners.

Still need at least a left guard, and better depth, possibly LT depending on Reiff's contract. 

My guess is Rudy, Barr, Hughes, Bailey, and some dead wood from the D-line are gone after the season freeing up some money. 

Another lost season.

Vikegirl--I'm not sure if you're talking about fandom or my earlier years on the dating scene.  Ouch

But for me--I'll keep guzzling the purple koolaid, it's better than staring down the precipice of despair before we even get to season.